Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Waldorf Nave your first impressions

Comments

• Haven't had a chance to explore it alot but so far it sounds Great!

• edited June 2013

My first impression is this could lead to insanity. I feel like a mad scientist toying with this synth. Unbelievable sounds. The Powered Brass preset is awesome.

• edited June 2013

I've kinda been avoiding all the synth apps because I've always relied on other musicians to tweak the sounds I'm looking for. That said, I couldn't resist this one, and I'm really glad I got it. The presets are awesome and very inspiring. I checked the videos http://www.waldorfmusic.de/ and that clinched it for me. Also I just set up a session in Audiobus with Nave and Cubasis. I used the Cubasis keyboard to control Nave and recorded a midi track, edited note lengths and then recorded the audio. Everything worked like charm.

• Bar-raising to be sure.

• very special ! thanks waldorf.

• @RockingGarage yes there are some strings in the presets....stop dithering and buy it ;)

• @DaveMagoo: Haha... thanks for your advice, definitely I will buy it, but now is 5pm in Malaysia time, I am still working... sigh, only can download when I am home... haha...

• I was expecting Doug would have demoed it by now, he must be slipping! Or so engrossed in actually playing with it...

• Probably still playing with Galileo.

• Hi All !
    I've bought Nave a couple of minutes after midnight. I'm totally blown away by it.
    The price is ridiculously low.
    The day before I had bought Magellan.
    I didn't like it though. I really had a hard time looking for even ONE sound that I could use in a production (lounge, minimal house, chill).
    Not so with Nave... with which I have a hard time NOT to get inspired by any presets it contains. No really !

I have a question however : since I'm a Noob in Ipad-musicproduction (and I'm used to comfortable zones like Ableton live and VST plugins like Synth1, Sylenth, ...) I was wondering : what do I need to control Nave (from within another Daw). The thing is : I'm a bad live player. So I need quantization. And a daw can give me that.
    What I have now : Garageband, Nanostudio, Nave, Magellan (I wish I could give it away for free). Do I need audiobus ? Do I need Auria or Cubasis ?

Please throw in a quick reply to help me out. Thanks in advance !

• edited June 2013

Audiobus is a must have. You have Garageband and that's Audibus supported. Depending on what device you have should determine your chose of Auria or Cubasis. Auria is much more CPU hungry. Just starting out Cubasis might be a good chose. Or just play around with Garageband and Audiobus until you get feel of how Audiobus works. Later you may need to decide on what you want to use in effects slot in AB if you want to maybe record guitar. My favorite is Jamup Pro. Most apps will give you Quantization. The input app recording into the daw must have quantization via Audiobus. The daw can only quantize if recording directly from daw.

• You need a DAW in which you can record (and quantise) the notes, send that out over midi and then capture the resulting sound back in as an audio file. Audiobus is the virtual cable that allows you to connect the audio out from Nave or other instrument apps and in to your DAW. My choice for the DAW would be Cubasis, but Beatmaker and Meteor are two alternatives. Auria doesn't have midi - yet - and Nanostudio doesn't have audio tracks. There has been lots of duscussion about preferred DAWs so you should check that rather than restarting that discussion here.

• I am going to demo it...soon...but I'm still playing with..so far I gotta say it's the most easy to program WT synth yet and the sounds are something else...it took me a while to find the lock key function.because I'm a bit dim..beatiful GUI..the blades are exellent..and I really love the reel to reel recorder..super retro...actually I like loading it too...loaded it about ten times in a row...made Jo watch the loading screen lots too...I sat there giggling like an idiot...its the best loading screen ever...this would be cool too inmagine that eventually the two Waldorf synths on the load screen were added as plugins or IAP's and you could select then from the load screen...ha this is very cool..

• I would like to say this in light of the fact that Waldorf toned down their App Store description and removed the part about all other iOS wavetable synths basically being shit (Wolfgang, Moog, etc.) -
    After exploring Nave for about 3 hrs last night I fired up Wavemapper and was pleasantly surprised how warm and musical my patches sounded, almost restful to my tired ears. I'm not dissing Nave, I like it a lot for all it does and it has a very aggressive sound and powerful controls to mangle them with. But I'm not dropping Wavemapper like a hot potato either because there are some very real sonic differences and Nave has in no way eclipsed those in spite of what they may think. That is my first impression one day into the Nave experience.

• Thanks mgmg4871 and PhilW.
    I think your info got me kickstarted.

It will be an expensive (but fruitful) week ;-)

• I think it sounds nice, but not really loving the interface. Reminds me of a logic synth, controls are very small a lot of times and so many drop down menus for everything. All that effort to show the pretty image in the middle and let you move it around, and it doesn't do anything for the sound :(

• You can edit the waves. In the first tab "wave" where it shows the window, select the tab "wave" again I opens up to full screen and you can edit the waves, move sections, raise/lower, rotate section, etc etc.

• @LoOZR while I'm surprised you don't like Magellan's sounds, one of its great features is that it can be used in the effect slot of Audiobus. So you can throw a another synth (or anything for that matter) into the input slot and take advantage of the awesome effects Magellan has. It should still be well worth your money especially if you bought it on sale.

• JM - I realize that, but you can't do it from the main screen, only the edit screen. And not directly, but with the sliders on the sides and bottom.

• That's what makes the world such an interesting place, lots of opinions and lots of tastes :)

Me personally I think for £7.99 there's not a lot to complain about ;)

It's just a shame we haven't fast forwarded 12 months and it was an inter app audio plug in for the likes of Auria or Cubasis !

• Perhaps i will buy an ipad 5(?) this fall (because sadly i'm missing such apps on my iPhone). What i would like to know is can i modulate live and control a lot settings/fx via one button/knob/pad like the pad changes in alchemy (which is still my number one when it comes to sound quality) if i want? I need an ios thing with sound quality like alchemy but i also would like to design high quality sounds on ios because i never use a desktop for producing music. (My dream is still a full alchemy version for ios but....perhaps in the future). So should i save money for ipad 5 or not ;) ?!?!

• Good point, matt.
    Indeed,I saw the configuration you've described on youtube as well.

Well, almost 6 euro's for a good effect rack ain't that bad ;-)

So:Next stop:Audiobus.
    Gonna buy it this weekend.
    Thanks a lot for helping a noob out!

• @Galaxyexplorer You could use the modulation matrix in Nave (and other apps to be fair) to set up multiple destinations from the xy pad or the blades positions, or so I believe. As for the iPad decision, I suspect you already know the answer in your heart...

• ...I thought I was the only one who didn't love Magellan. I didn't think most of the preset sounds were useable as well - managed to squeeze out 5 or 6 decent sounds using the Spawn button... but have used it in the AB effects slot a few times - so I don't feel it was money thrown away. Looking forward to picking up Nave tonight or tomorrow though!

• edited June 2013

Sunsine Audio has some well done presets for Magellan that are worth the pocket change. He also did some of the Nave factory presets I believe.

• Not to get off topic but AlbaEcstasy, Sunsine Audio demos, and on Yonac's forum you can score a pretty good amount of FREE presets for Magellan. Some are demo's of preset packs and some are total packs

• Sounds great, looks great.
    Initial questions for those who have used it for more than 15 minutes:

1. Is there a way to see all of the (for instance) 'pad' sounds across all of the banks?
    2. Is there a way to set the tines (alt keyboard thingy) to retrigger on slide? so as I move my finger across the keyboard, it triggers notes as I cross them without lifting my finger. As it is now, it keep whichever note I initially hit going.

I should probably just spend another 15 minutes with it but I'm at work!

• @syrupcore , I am wondering on that point 2 also. I am used to the Animoog way of sliding across those note plates. It comes the first note only and doesn't change as the fingers glide.
    I am also sorely missing a Hold option since the keyboard and scale keeps resetting on each preset.....custom scale would also be cool.
    Small things which might be added in the next version I guess...will send them to Waldorf too..

• edited June 2013

@syrupcore it does retrigger notes. I think it depends on preset. @ thepinkelefant there is a hold function.
    Update: I think I may have been referring to hold on arp.

• edited June 2013

@syrupcore - you cannot view all banks/pads. You'd have to view pads (or other category) under each bank. Also yes you can have it trigger each note your finger runs over (under Mods & Keys), it depends how the patch is saved but you can always change it to your liking