Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tested: Apple Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter charges ipad!!

Comments

• @Munibeast said:
    The lightning port only passes power to the iOS and USB devices, no data.

So no daisychaning then ...

• edited April 2016

i cant try it myself at the moment, as i dont have the adapter. and i hesitate to buy it because what Munibeast said. But maybe there is an official statement that supports this argument somewhere? it seems weird tho - i imagine this should be a standard usecase, no?

• any stereo audio input/output with MIDI IO that are confirmed to work with clagnut V2?
    (powered by single lightning cable/usb bus power)
    feedback welcomed!

• @iamspoon said:
    any stereo audio input/output with MIDI IO that are confirmed to work with clagnut V2?
    (powered by single lightning cable/usb bus power)
    feedback welcomed!

I dug out my old Lexicon Lambda and was able to get audio with no problems. I could only monitor through the headphone jack of the Lambda, not through the iPad headphone out, but that's the best way anyway for me. Then I hooked up my even older Oxygen 8v2 keyboard to the MIDI in of the Lambda, and it was recognized on the iPad no problem. I didn't test MIDI out through the Lambda, but it seems like it should work if everything else does.

BTW, if I hook the USB from the cck to the uplink port of a powered switch, and then plug the Lambda and the Oxygen 8 into the hub, I can power and use both over USB with no Midi cable, and charge the iPad at the same time. :smile:

• Is anyone experiencing lots of AC hum in their audio interface whenever power is applied to the cck? I'm trying to figure out if it's just dirty power on my end, or if others are seeing the same thing.

• @wim said:
    Is anyone experiencing lots of AC hum in their audio interface whenever power is applied to the cck? I'm trying to figure out if it's just dirty power on my end, or if others are seeing the same thing.

Yes, I have the same problem but I think it's just my power supplies are hummy. I found the USB jacks on my computer or battery packs to work the best.

• The power hum is a common problem, the way I get around it is to use a USB battery instead of mains power - there might not be enough juice the charge the iPad as well as power the devices though.

• ugh, so clagnut v2 could create another source of ground loop noise perhaps?
    (just when I thought I could finally have my cake and eat it!)

• Oh, boy. I'm holding out on the purchase of the adapter upon reading that until I hear more.

• Anyone tried it with a kmix? @animal

• @iamspoon said:
    ugh, so clagnut v2 could create another source of ground loop noise perhaps?

may i ask you:what is "clagnut v2"??

• edited April 2016

I'm using a PreSonus Audiobox iTwo. Still needs powering via USB hub but iPad charges fine and no electric noise (including poweramp running off the same 4way).

O

• @iamspoon said:

Confirmed. Powered by battery backup there is no noise, but as soon as there's any mains power involved, way too much humm. Dammit. :/

@OscarSouth
    Good to know about the AudioBox iTwo. Love my iRig Pro, but if the AudioBox is clean, maybe that's an option.

• edited April 2016

@wim said:

@iamspoon said:

Confirmed. Powered by battery backup there is no noise, but as soon as there's any mains power involved, way too much humm. Dammit. :/

@OscarSouth
    Good to know about the AudioBox iTwo. Love my iRig Pro, but if the AudioBox is clean, maybe that's an option.

There's a faint but audible high(ish) end hiss in my signal (since way back), it's not obnoxious or even really noticeable but there is a noise floor. That said, I've performed many concerts with this setup and done sessions in recording studios using iOS and it's not been a problem. It's not audible on the mastered recordings so whether the engineer took it out or it's just lost in the mix, it's not degraded the material in any way.

I'm actually thinking to upgrade to an iConnectivity 2+ for the additional outs (I have to bounce some sounds to mono in order to process my instrument separately through it's own amplifier..)

O

• edited April 2016

oops.. doubled up

• @mschenkel.it said:
    Anyone tried it with a kmix? @animal

The Kmix doesn't work yet with ios, waiting for a firmware update to make it happen. I also won't buy the new Adapter yet, because I have no need for it in my setup. Will let everybody know my findings with the great Kmix...!

• @OscarSouth
    Dammit! Now I have to have one! You just cost me $150. :#

• I would bet that those finding the ground loop hum would have the same experience using the older USB adapter. I've found that my house has terrible wiring for the most part. Only a few outlets don't produce a hum (with old connector). It's a very common problem with or without the new device, so I'm suspicious if it's just regular environment stuff or the connector. Maybe someone can test and say otherwise.

• By the way, you can buy an adapter on Amazon that will provide grounding if you don't want to use a power pack.

• edited April 2016

@boone51 said:
    By the way, you can buy an adapter on Amazon that will provide grounding if you don't want to use a power pack.

Could you link to an example please?

O

• I found when I use this grounded cable http://www.amazon.de/Stromkabel-Stromversorgungskabel-Verlängerungskabel-PowerBook-Netzteile/dp/B0196STQ1K/ref=sr_1_3?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1459636063&sr=1-3&keywords=apple+schuko which came with my macbook and plug that into the iPad charger the hum is reduced significantly as well. Not sure how this translates to other countries but this works in Germany.

• edited April 2016

See next post

• edited April 2016

But the cleanest signal will always come from a battery pack. And they're typically cheaper. And obviously quite portable. I bought a Furman, an isolation transformer, etc, and they helped in different ways. Ultimately I just bought this, and I couldn't be happier.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Portable-Power-Bank-100/dp/B00ZQ4JQAA?ie=UTF8&keywords=Battery pack&qid=1459638363&ref_=sr_1_2&refinements=p_89:AmazonBasics&sr=8-2

This is a cheap power conditioner as well, and one I've used that helped somewhat. Similar experience to the other post about using the grounded cable munibeast talked about above. Greatly reduced the hum, but a picky ear (like mine) could still hear the hum slightly. (Be aware that the cheaper Furman branded power strip does not contain any real power conditioning features if you go this route)

http://www.amazon.com/Furman-M-8X2-Outlet-Conditioner-Protector/dp/B003BQ91Y6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459638618&sr=8-1&keywords=furman+power+conditioner

Again, though, I finally found peace when I bought the power pack and used that. I think dated Household wiring is the culprit here. I don't own the adapter yet, so I can't say for certain, but it sure sounds like all of the problems I've had to fight in the past.

• @animal said:

@mschenkel.it said:
    Anyone tried it with a kmix? @animal

The Kmix doesn't work yet with ios, waiting for a firmware update to make it happen. I also won't buy the new Adapter yet, because I have no need for it in my setup. Will let everybody know my findings with the great Kmix...!

Thanks. So now I have a good reason to not be so much attracted by it(lie).

• Concerning the ground hum, it is always useful to try different outlets. Mostly it's best to have everything music-connected on one and the same outlet (same phase). Also, having all the connections balanced (TRS/XLR) helps sometimes... Cheers, t

• edited April 2016

Presonus Audiobox iTwo rig. The venue we used for rehearsal has really crappy electrics and the guitarists pedalboard was making all kinds of disgusting noises (not the good kind). Crystal clear sound from my setup with no hum whatsoever, even with amp plugged into the same 4way. Pow!

O

• I got mine today. It works as expected on iPhone 6+/ latest iOS but not on Air/iOS8. It says no support for this accessory. Apple support couldn't help. Anyone in here?

On the phone it's great: iTrack Solo, hub, XKeys, Beatstep, guitar, mic - no humming... CHARGING! :)

• edited April 2016

@Peanutcram said:
    I got mine today. It works as expected on iPhone 6+/ latest iOS but not on Air/iOS8. It says no support for this accessory. Apple support couldn't help. Anyone in here?

On the phone it's great: iTrack Solo, hub, XKeys, Beatstep, guitar, mic - no humming... CHARGING! :)

Seems pretty clear cut here. I believe that iOS9+ is a requirement for this accessory.

O

• edited April 2016

Has anyone noticed any performance improvement while working on power?
    I hoped that running powered the device would allow the processor a little more rope, but after a bit of practical use, I don't think that this is the case.

If it's not the case, then maybe we should put out another group 'outcry' to Apple to include some power management optimisation for powered devices? It's not a very 'Apple' thing to include, but it's certainly in line with their ethos regarding 'Pro' devices and would be an eighth wonder for iOS music creators!

O

• @OscarSouth said:

@Peanutcram said:
    I got mine today. It works as expected on iPhone 6+/ latest iOS but not on Air/iOS8. It says no support for this accessory. Apple support couldn't help. Anyone in here?

Seems pretty clear cut here. I believe that iOS9+ is a requirement for this accessory.

Apple support could not confirm that. I hesitate going on iOS 9. The running system etc
    The new GarageBand and the hope for entering chargeland might be worth to try out now...