Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Using SunVox as an effects unit (video)

So, yeah, the title says it all.
The trick is to start SunVox first and add an "Input" module (listed under Synths), as it otherwise will not announce to the host app that it is capable of handling input sounds. Therefore, start SunVox first, add the input module and route it whatever way you choose until it reaches the output module, and you can then launch your host apps and other instruments etc.

Comments

• Very clever--thanks for the excellent video!

What is the benefit of inserting SunVox as an effect in ToneStack rather than just using the two effects on the AUM channel instead?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Very clever--thanks for the excellent video!

What is the benefit of inserting SunVox as an effect in ToneStack rather than just using the two effects on the AUM channel instead?

I'll be damned if I can think of a benefit. I have seen people use IAA effects in Tonestack and Bias FX though, so included it mainly to show it is possible, at all, for those interested in that. I am with you though, I have never encountered a use case for my stuff where that would be the sensible route to take. :)

• @hellquist Well done! A nice, clear, cool video. As a prole who has opened SunVox a hundred times over the years and then stared at the first screen like a dog reading the bible in Latin before immediately closing it again, this will be an excellent experiment to follow along with. Kudos. Please make a whole sequence of these in this very straightforward manner and bring them round to my house. I'll make the tea.

• Thanks @hellquist for making the video. I've been wanting to know how to chain Sunvox effects. Saved from having to RTFM. Did you use Reflector II to capture your iPad?
    I bought Reflector I which lags big time.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @hellquist Well done! A nice, clear, cool video. As a prole who has opened SunVox a hundred times over the years and then stared at the first screen like a dog reading the bible in Latin before immediately closing it again, this will be an excellent experiment to follow along with. Kudos. Please make a whole sequence of these in this very straightforward manner and bring them round to my house. I'll make the tea.

Hehe, I might just do more of them, if nothing else to push myself. SunVox is one of those apps that never cease to amaze me, but also behaves like Dalai Lama: the more I learn the more I realise I don't know and need to learn. Incredibly deep piece of software. I would say Alexander has outdone himself with it, and then still manages to make me happily surprised for every update he does, which is always massive.

I still haven't wrapped my head around the tracker part though, I mainly use it as a sound source and effects unit. :)

• @Kandavu said:
    Thanks @hellquist for making the video. I've been wanting to know how to chain Sunvox effects. Saved from having to RTFM. Did you use Reflector II to capture your iPad?
    I bought Reflector I which lags big time.

I tried all of them I think. I too had a license for the first Reflector, but quickly learnt that it wasn't compatible with my particular combination of OSX/iOS (which is "the latest" at all times). Having investigated the competition I settled for Air Server (http://www.airserver.com/) which had the best combination of good quality (better than Quicktime capture) and good sound, though the sound drifts after a while so I had to time it up again. That is for when I do screencaptures of iOS only.

If I do screencasts of OSX or the combination of OSX/iOS (like this one: ) I'm using ScreenFlow 5 (http://telestream.net/screenflow/overview.htm?__c=1). Again, that was the only one that could handle the latest version of OSX and iOS compared to the competition, at least at the time of my purchase. If you consider ScreenFlow, pay attention to how/where you will be using it. If you buy it from their web site you can only use it on one computer, but you might get a bundle discount for more/other things. If you instead purchase it in the Mac Appstore you can install it on all your Macs.

• Thank you so much for the video @hellquist it's greatly appreciated!