Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Jasuto, that old trickster

... being there all the time, he only yesterday night unveiled a tiny flake of his practices to me.

You surely are already acquainted to its rather nicely crafted 64step sequencer, but you might also take into account that it's possible to input midi notes by creating a 'midi node', connecting it to the 'sequencer node' (I'm far from understanding all this ancient tech, but simultaneously tapping both nodes, selecting wire, and moving them around, relatively, would do).
Now choose one from those fancy modern arpeggiating sequencers for input, activate midi out (menu) and point it to ThumbJam, さあ ... Fugue Machine transposed by Elderlies (:

Comments

• I never got round to getting Jasuto. Sounds an interesting experiment though, especially if you can get it back out as midi, with a sensible kind of scaling to the result.

• edited April 2016

Anyone know if all the features are included, or must be IAP'd?
    This seems to indicate they did away with IAP http://jasuto.com but also says the most recent version is 1.6
    However, app store shows version 1.7, and also lists prices for IAPs https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jasuto/id347758682

I'd be willing to pay more for all the features, but don't want to drop even $0.99 if it's going to need IAPs to actually do anything.

Sent question to developer about this couple months ago, crickets...

• @srcer said:
    This seems to indicate they did away with IAP http://jasuto.com but also says the most recent version is 1.6
    However, app store shows version 1.7, and also lists prices for IAPs https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jasuto/id347758682

I'd be willing to pay more for all the features, but don't want to drop even $0.99 if it's going to need IAPs to actually do anything.

Everything is now included for free with the initial purchase.
    It's a great little sleeper app.

• @srcer said:

I'm not sure that there is much maintained development on this app. His website also says that they had plans to bring Audiobus to his other synth, YUMI:synth. But that never happened, and that was like two years ago.

• imho a very underated app.

• @Nathan said:
    I got this, fiddled with it for a few weeks, then gave up. Way to hard an unintuitive for me. Sure, some apps take longer to get to grips with. But, there has to be enough that one can discover by chance, and a simple way to get something worthwhile going. I always felt it was a struggle.

Did it come with everything? Or has IAPs
    Perhaps the app is abandoned, but I'm interested in trying it, just don't want any IAPs
    Did you buy it recently, was it already at version 1.7?

• @srcer said:

@Nathan said:
    I got this, fiddled with it for a few weeks, then gave up. Way to hard an unintuitive for me. Sure, some apps take longer to get to grips with. But, there has to be enough that one can discover by chance, and a simple way to get something worthwhile going. I always felt it was a struggle.

Perhaps the app is abandoned, but I'm interested in trying it, just don't want any IAPs

I repeat: The current version 1.7 no longer requires any IAP. All previous extras are now included in the initial purchase price.

• @JeffChasteen said:

@srcer said:

@Nathan said:

I repeat: The current version 1.7 no longer requires any IAP. All previous extras are now included in the initial purchase price.

Doh, apparently didn't read all the new posts!
    Thank you!!!
    At $0.99 with everything, I think this take on modular synth is worth a whirl even if it's end of life, and no need to worry about the IAPs not working later if it goes completely dark ;)

• Just bought, can confirm it includes the features the app store lists as IAPs. Must just be some vestige of the way it was listed in the app store previously. Thanks again @JeffChasteen for the tip :)

Can also report it runs on iPhone 6s Plus with iOS 9.2.1, so far so good. Was able to connect a generator through some effects to the speaker and get some sounds. UI scales fine in general, only artifact is the on screen keyboard will be zoomed, since the app wasn't really updated for the new screen size.

Seems I'm succumbing to the synth collection habit many on this forum admit to. This one does seem rather unique though!

• @srcer said:
    Seems I'm succumbing to the synth collection habit many on this forum admit to. This one does seem rather unique though!

Oh, but they're all special in their own special way my precioussss.

• @srcer said:
    Just bought, can confirm it includes the features the app store lists as IAPs. Must just be some vestige of the way it was listed in the app store previously. Thanks again @JeffChasteen for the tip :)

Can also report it runs on iPhone 6s Plus with iOS 9.2.1, so far so good. Was able to connect a generator through some effects to the speaker and get some sounds. UI scales fine in general, only artifact is the on screen keyboard will be zoomed, since the app wasn't really updated for the new screen size.

You're welcome!
    It is a fun little stealth app.

• edited April 2016

Went ahead and grabbed this for a $1. Figured it'd be fun to try and figure out. And, for the example scenes that you can tweak to your own liking, and samples included... it's certainly worth it for that alone.

However, I'm having a hard time trying to figuring this one out. I've watched a few YT videos, but most look like they are from an earlier version with controls different from the last version. Or, some names got changed? For example, there's an ENV node frequently used in the videos, but I don't see one in this last version.

Also, seems most of the demos are from people showing off how quickly they can play this thing and how well they know it... but I can't find a good tutorial video on just the basics until I learn the app's general syntax/logic.

I figured since I got so far along in SunVox reasonably quickly, this one would be a piece of cake. I'm finding this one somewhat non-intuitive and cryptic.

Anyone know of any good beginners tutorial to get me started with this? I'm getting some interesting stuff out of it and it's very easy to use in the FX slots of AB/AUM... but building my own synths or figuring out how the example scenes included were created has me slightly baffled.

• @skiphunt the manual has alittle tutorial in it. You should definitely check it out.

• edited April 2016

@paradiddle said:
    @skiphunt the manual has alittle tutorial in it. You should definitely check it out.

If you're talking about the "quick start" where you make a SIN with Keys and a speaker, vary the modulation and play it... yep, already done that. However, that doesn't get you very far into diving into the rest.

I'm getting a little further along.. but extremely slow. Mostly putting stuff in a scene and changing settings until something sounds ok. But, not getting anywhere near having any kind of control over what I'm doing at all.

Just a monkey twisting knobs until my ears tingle, or my head twitches wildly like a dog inflicted by some ungodly obscene pitch.

• edited July 2016

@skiphunt hi, do you have some further success with it?

• Regarding old and very old videos. Okay, let's look at

"Env" node is envelope. In current version there are three nodes with similar function - AR, ADSR and ADSR 2. By using them you get control on how note in your sequence sound. "A" = Attack, "D" = Decay, "S" = Sustain, "R" = Release. If you have zero or low attack, your note sounds immediately, if attack is high then it's slowly appearing. Low release for short sounds, high release for long sounds. (You may want to read some articles about that instead of my words, as i don't know how much into synthesis you are). Now important thing: envelope module works if triggered. You may have noticed "Trigger" module and circles that comes pulsating from it. In current version, you don't need a separate trigger node anymore if you have "Sequencer" or "Keys" because they act as trigger too, making those pulsating circles around them. It's important to make those "pulsating circle" having large enough size so it reach AR/ADSR or whatever you need. Sometimes if you see that it's not going to envelope node, so you have to open Sequencer or Keys setting and change "Range" setting in upper right of screen, which would change how far node can trigger anything (and if you change "Radius", the node itself would be more large or small). Also, if i'm not mistaken, AR/ADSR thing will only work if you have "Hold" enabled (it is, by default) in sequencer, otherwise it would not make much sense as seq would only play sound for the moment of step.

When in this video he presses "up" and "down" in sequencer and melody becomes higher or lower in pitch, it doesn't work like this anymore. In current version if you go here or there you just switch between possible lines for notes to place them, like you want place some in higher octave and some in lower; yet if you want to have a thing like in video, where instead of manual changing steps in sequencer it lowers and ups tone, you need to place another sequencer into this sequencer (be sure that connection wire goes to xpose input), so you can place notes on different height in first sequencer - and as a result, it would affect second sequencer melody as one thing.

The scene where everything is in motion shows how you can record motion for each node, it's in that separate menu on the right. It also demonstrates that parametres of modules change when you change the distance of wires which connect them. However, in some case you may want to disable that, to do it you need to press "Spacial" button in upper right menu of needed wire. For me it's useful when, for example, you accidently move a bit Sequencer node and motion makes unneeded shift of melody's tone, so i need to prevent it disabling that. Also notice that there is both auto and manual modes of connection nodes with wires. You turn them on/off when tap on that button where Jasuto displays how much % of CPU of your iDevice is used. Also, on that very scene from video (on 1:24) you may see node named "FM" however you can't find it as new module, right? This is because it's a node named "Constant" which you can find among "Math" section. When you connect it to any other module, and choose to wich parameter you connect it, it starts displaying name of that parameter instead, so in this scene it's FM (frequency modulation) of Sin (sinusoid wave oscillator) or PM (phase modulation) of another Sin Osc node.

As for "Link" node, i'm not sure what it was in that early version, but looks like he sends signal from oscillator back to oscillator using it. In current version of Jasuto there are "Send" "Receive" modules which are helpful when you need to connect modules that are too far from each other, they act like portals.

Now you know that for envelope you need AR/ADSR/ADSR2, and that "Res" node is really a Constant node affecting resonance setting of filter (when you move it or change numbers). "Moog" is one of filters, it doesnt exist in app anymore but LP node (low pass filter) is most similar to it. When on 5:09 author of video changes "Gain" parameter for "Resonance" section of filter node, it changes the range of minimum and maximum possible setting of that. And "Limit" is "Limiter" that prevent bad stuff if signal is too loud and things are not like they should be.

This video shows things about using "Sampler" node that allows you to insert some sounds into your scene (or you can draw a wave by yourself). There are several things here to look at. When he opens setting of Sampler and changes "Normal" from upper right to "Single", he does it to make a sample to be played once for every time of triggering. So when he connects Sequencer to it, sample plays each time it's triggered by step/note in sequencer. Then, look at how he changes settings of wire that go to Sampler (and to "Send" node) from Sequencer. "Pitch" means that depending of how low or high you place a note in sequencer, it will affect FM (frequency) of sample. And if you choose "Gate" as output from sequencer, it would be more like on/off signal from Seq that goes to needed node and says to activate it or not depending on which steps you placed in sequencer, yet it won't affect tone of sound. But for this you must choose "Reset" instead of "FM" setting at Sampler node's input in connection wire settings.

When on 0:35 he changes "End" in sequencer, it influences on where sequencer ends its line. You have 4 pages of 16 steps, so it's like 64 steps overall. "Start" is to change start position, respectively. That maybe useful for - obviously - when you decide how much steps you need in this current seq node, and if you wanna loop some part from one step to another. You can also modulate it with some other node connected to sequencer, choosing "Length" in wire connection settings. On 1:07 Chris unmutes muted modules, in current version you find mute/unmute option and also "solo" in Xport section in lower left. On 1:20 he records current sound of scene into a new sample through "Record" option, and then shows Start/End thing, now in Sampler node, and than changes the "root" note of pitch, and then as you see, reverse it. When you change sample playmode from Normal or Single (which i mentioned before) to Grain, it enables granular thing. You can move you fingers on sample's wave to play some sound, which width depends of how far away your finger is from center line. Or just change "width" parameter. Then he connects LFO node to Sampler into "Start" position port, so it makes it alternating between different position of playback as start depending on LFO's setting like FM and wave (it couls be sin, triangle, saw etc., you change it in left-center upper area in current version). "Ping" mode of sample playback on 4:11, as you notice, makes sample play forward backward forward backward...

On 3:53, there are two oscillators (square and saw), one LFO and one xFADE (Crossfade) node. Crossfade make that sound of switching from one to another. You connect 1st osc (square) in one input (x), 2nd osc (saw) in other input (y) and LFO goes to "amount" setting of wire connection. So in the end it's LFO that decides how often you hear first or second osc, or you can delete lfo and just edit amount in xfade node settings. On 5:10 you see how signal from Sin is sent through Send node and is received by Recieve which is connected to Sin, too. So you get feedback effect. On 5:38 you can notice how in Sampler node instead of more long sound like drums or something there is just a shape or wave, so you can use it as oscillator or LFO with other modules like another sampler connected to it.

That's something i tried to comment on older videos from developer's youtube channel, hope it might be helpful.

• edited July 2016

Many thanks @Qmishery,
    Very helpful, and a valuable pointer towards resources. Was glad to see that the manual thankfully has doubled in breadth since I last looked, and the YouTube videos and your translation of same got me back into this amazing tool...I've had this on and off my devices for 4 years, and this thread got me further in a few hours than I'd gotten in all the years before. With this thread, and the Model 15 file sharing thread, I'm one step closer to culling my iPad synth arsenal and leaving "only" the modulators...

• edited July 2016

That would be a bit too extreme, considering how many synths there are unique on its own, from animoog and synthtronica to stria and ipulsaret or tc-11, also things like borderlands, samplr etc. Also, if you only use idevice for music without PC or other hardware, then... As i mentioned above, Jasuto allows you to record what you do. But only up to 50 seconds. So me personally either use audiobus and something like nanostudio (or loopy hd etc.) with longer sound record option, or i plug it line-in in my pc soundcard (mini)jack etc.

• edited July 2016

@Qmishery said:
    That would be a bit too extreme, considering how many synths there are unique on its own, from animoog and synthtronica to stria and ipulsaret or tc-11, also things like borderlands, samplr etc. Also, if you only use idevice for music without PC or other hardware, then... As i mentioned above, Jasuto allows you to record what you do. But only up to 50 seconds. So me personally either use audiobus and something like nanostudio (or loopy hd etc.) with longer sound record option, or i plug it line-in in my pc soundcard (mini)jack etc.

I've got s few not-modulars I won't let go as of yet, all the Virsyn, Animoog, Nave, Z3ta +, Alchemy, Unity, Wavegenerator, Mitosynth, etc...I guess what I meant was with Model 15, Audulus, zMors, Jasuto, Analogkit, Modular, the Way of the Modulars is becoming more and more viable (I'm using these in DAWs on iOS, am also getting into the modulars on PC, Reaktor, Softube...)

• edited July 2016

@Littlewoodg said:

... I'm using these in DAWs on iOS, am also getting into the modulars on PC, Reaktor, Softube...

if you're really into Modular you might check eBay for old Creamware cards - they go for bargain today
    usually their Modular I-III is included in the classic software
    there are 3 commercial Flexor Extensions (often included by the seller) but also tons of free modules
    http://www.cwmodular.org/index.html

I've run such a system from a 1 GB industrial disk-on-module CF under Win 98 (minimal setup)
    the CPU doesn't matter as the stuff is entirely processed on Sharc DSPs - quality is outstanding
    I still have such a system (from 2002) in my current XP box as my main soundcard
    it's output occupies port 3+4 on my iConnectAudio4+ for monitoring and routing

cheers, Tom

• @Telefunky
    Thanks for the pointer- this is a relatively new world for me...and vast.

for years I've "known" what hardware modulars were (saw K Emerson with his magnificent Moog live) but-

I actually didnt get my hands on anything but virtual modulars until iPad 1, which has since sent me to desktop and back in time, but man there's more to see at every turn. It'll take me a bit to just sort the acronyms in your post, but I can't refuse, the bug done bit me...

• @Littlewoodg just don't ever touch Buchla as there will be no way back :)

• edited November 2016

-delete-

• edited November 2016

-delete-

• edited December 2016

Some tricks in Jasuto are kind of confusing for me.

For example, such commonly needed thing as changing of volume of different notes in melody is achieved by not very straightforward way. Look for "dreamers" scene in [Updated v1.7] and take a look at "Smile" group (might be comfortable to solo it or mute other stuff), open it (click "open" on top panel), then you see that there are two sequencer nodes in subscene. First seq node is what makes it to play melody via pitch output while second sequencer (at slower rate) is controlling volume via modulation output using velocity settings below stepseq grid; and it works overall via patching through "multiply add" module - 1st seq goes to triangle osc which goes to madd's input while 2nd seq's velocity through mod output goes into madd's multiply port; after that you have envelope, effects etc.

If you want to use just one sequencer node for pitch, velocity and gate outputs for different nodes, send/receive nodes are helpful (so, you have your typical oscillator after seq via pitch, and then you have envelope far away from seq? dont worry, connect seq's mod into "send" module and place "receive" module near ADSR or whatever and from there you wire receive to envelope, so you teleport signal wirelessly, haha.)

• @Telefunky said:
    if you're really into Modular you might check eBay for old Creamware cards - they go for bargain today
    usually their Modular I-III is included in the classic software
    there are 3 commercial Flexor Extensions (often included by the seller) but also tons of free modules
    http://www.cwmodular.org/index.html

I've been interested in getting a Creamware PC together. I have the Noah and love it, and already have a W98 set-up for Korg Oasys. Are there any cards you recommend?

• edited December 2016

A good point of start is a 6-DSP card, which usually comes with all main plugins in the $300 range.
    You can cascade up to 3 boards.
    15 DSP cards offer more processing and often have a lot of extra plugins ($500-800 seems reasonable)
    You may add 3 or 4 DSP cards to extend processing ($50-80).
    Sometimes a nice 8-channel converter comes with the 3 DSP (Luna/Scope Home) dead cheap.

Software highlights aside from stock devices: Flexor (as mentioned), Solaris, Pro-Wave and QWave (Zarg aka John Bowen), a big version of an EarlyFirst reverb (extremely rare)... the synths by Wavelength (free today, but exceptional sound quality), Celmo's TapeEcho (modelled after a Meazzi Platter Echo) and Vintage Delay (imho the best tape fake of a delay), the Ison Eq (as a mostly non-eq user it's the one I rely on IF appropriate and this one really sounds)

If you're familiar with Win98 you probably know about mainboards of that time, Intel chipsets like BX, 815, 865 preferred.

• edited July 2017

Some more love for Jas
    afaik it won't work in iOS11, keep that in mind

Was going through youtube looking at those old videos by fellow starting with 2009 uploads (8 years ago omg)

2009 -
    2011 -
    2011 -
    2012 -
    2013 -
    2014 -
    2014 -
    2014 -
    2009 -
    2011 -
    2015 -
    2009 -