Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How Hard Would it Be to Create a Basic SFZ Player APP?

It occurred to me that it is entirely possible to edit and create SFZ sampled instruments completely from within the iOS environment using text files. It would be really cool if there was an app that supported a basic subset of SFZ Opcodes and could read the SFZ format. That would basically be giving us an SFZ sampler. How hard would it be for a developer to build something like this? Things that would be useful, would be a built-in text editor, OpenIn, Audiocopy/paste, IAA (instrument), AU, Audiobus, and Ableton Link. Hehehe, it seems like all the standards needing to be supported would be the most difficult part of the whole thing. :smile:

Comments

• Another idea that might be easier.... an SFZ to SF2 converter. That would make me very happy too!!

• edited March 2016

If i was a dev, I would make it. And, I would sell it at a very low intro price of $xxx. :D
    Great idea though, i really hope someone jumps in to make one.

• GarageBand saves its sampler instruments in sfz format. I noticed this when I was using iFunBox to backup a project where I created a sampler instrument for custom drum samples. Not sure how you'd get it into Auria Pro.

Peace \/
    chisel316

• Great to know @chisel316!! I wasn't aware of any app that used SFZ!! In theory then, one should be able to sample from an app (AudioShare for example), and then map the samples using a text editor, and then copy the files to Garageband and play them. It's a little bit of a kludge, but it should work at this point. :-) It would be nice to have a better solution though. :smiley:

• edited March 2016

@Audiojunkie said:
    Great to know @chisel316!! I wasn't aware of any app that used SFZ!! In theory then, one should be able to sample from an app (AudioShare for example), and then map the samples using a text editor, and then copy the files to Garageband and play them. It's a little bit of a kludge, but it should work at this point. :-) It would be nice to have a better solution though. :smiley:

I simply pasted my samples from AudioShare directly into a GarageBand sampler instrument. In other words, GarageBand uses sfz format for its sampler instrument under the hood. You get a free sfz editor just by using GarageBand. No text editor needed.

• Really cool!! Great to know!! :smile:

• If only bs-16i could open SFZ files... If only Cubasis could export its MiniSampler instruments to SFZ...

• @yug said:
    If only bs-16i could open SFZ files... If only Cubasis could export its MiniSampler instruments to SFZ...

Yeah, lots of if onlys.... :wink: The good news is that I can craft my sounds on my desktop and have perfectly working Soundfont patches that I can import into bs-16i, which is an EXCELLENT soundfont player. :smiley: I'm just not doing ALL within the iPad. Not too big a deal for me. :smiley:

• @Audiojunkie said:
    Yeah, lots of if onlys.... :wink: The good news is that I can craft my sounds on my desktop and have perfectly working Soundfont patches that I can import into bs-16i, which is an EXCELLENT soundfont player. :smiley: I'm just not doing ALL within the iPad. Not too big a deal for me. :smiley:

You know I'm thinking about developing my own app and I've been considering writing an SFZ creator, a mix of Steinberg's MiniSampler and Apple's AutoSampler. But now I think it's not worth it considering the time I'll have to spend on it. I doubt many would buy it. And even I wouldn't use it often. So, I'm gonna continue using my desktop computer too and maybe fully automate the way I use AutoSampler. If only Polyphone could work in console mode... :)

• @chisel316 said:
    I simply pasted my samples from AudioShare directly into a GarageBand sampler instrument. In other words, GarageBand uses sfz format for its sampler instrument under the hood. You get a free sfz editor just by using GarageBand. No text editor needed.

That's wonderful. If only GB's sampler offered a little more editing goodness...

• I nonetheless made a song using GB and used its sampler in the song: I recorded the sound of the subway train doors closing before leaving a crowded station - the train was already packed with people. I used the iPad's built-in mic, mind you, and quickly edited it in GB's sampler to use in the song: the resulting sound reminds nothing of its source, sounding more like a cross between a vacuum cleaner and a bad ringtone:

• edited October 2016

Actually I'm developing an sfz player for iOS. Not all the opcodes, because it's a lot of work to be done in my spare time, but as powerful as the EXS24 -ios- bundled sampler can be and a bit more. I'll let you know, i'll need beta testers for sure.

• Musk MIDI Keyboard by Dr. Garbers Softwareentwicklung
    https://appsto.re/gb/TV-KU.i

Will play exs files

• @yellow said:
    Actually I'm developing an sfz player for iOS. Not all the opcodes, because it's a lot of work to be done in my spare time, but as powerful as the EXS24 -ios- bundled sampler can be and a bit more. I'll let you know, i'll need beta testers for sure.

AUv3?

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Musk MIDI Keyboard by Dr. Garbers Softwareentwicklung
    https://appsto.re/gb/TV-KU.i

Will play exs files

Many thanks. I had bought a huge (10gb) exs piano to use in Auria Pro's Lyra, now I can use it more freely indevice (iPhone too), IAA and AB for 99¢

• edited October 2016

@theconnactic said:
    Faziolli?

Yep, per a recommendation from Mr. Buntinas here, or on the Auria site. The sample set set from Imperfect Samples, http://www.imperfectsamples.com/website/Samples/fazioliconcertgrand/chooseversion.php
    Very well done, incredible instrument. I was wrong above, unpacked it's 17gb. They also provide a free player for the samples for vst.

• Curious as to what imperfect samples are and why those might be a good thing

• @sirdavidabraham said:

@yellow said:

AUv3?

yes. the truth is i just need the AU so I made it. now i need to think the UI for the app hehehe it's going to be ton simple, since i don't like piano rolls, eqs, reverbs, etc. there're a lot good apps for fx chain better than any effect i'm able to do. that said, what it already has is a bubdled IR loader.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Curious as to what imperfect samples are and why those might be a good thing

It is an odd name for a sampled instrument company...
    Here's what the dude says http://www.imperfectsamples.com/website/about/moreinfo.php

• edited October 2016

Polyphone has an inbuilt sfz to sf2 converter (it opens sfz and you can save them as sf2) and its free software but you need a PC to run it.
    http://polyphone-soundfonts.com/en/
    So you can then run your conversions with the bs-16i app.
    PS: I have a collection of some good soundfonts available free here (some of which I've converted from sfz):
    https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/

• AFAIK and test, bs-16i -which is great software- does not disk-stream the samples, then a 4gb won't fit in even an iPad air 2. also, sf2 is not as powerful sampler format as sfz. anyway, for simple samples is great.

• edited October 2016

About 1gb is the practical limit for bs-16i on an iPad Air 2 or iPhone 6s. The 787mb Salamander Piano sounds really nice.

• @yellow said:
    AFAIK and test, bs-16i -which is great software- does not disk-stream the samples, then a 4gb won't fit in even an iPad air 2. also, sf2 is not as powerful sampler format as sfz. anyway, for simple samples is great.

Will you be using disk-streaming to get around the 360Mb RAM limitation of 64-bit AUv3 extensions?

• @brambos said:

@yellow said:
    AFAIK and test, bs-16i -which is great software- does not disk-stream the samples, then a 4gb won't fit in even an iPad air 2. also, sf2 is not as powerful sampler format as sfz. anyway, for simple samples is great.

Will you be using disk-streaming to get around the 360Mb RAM limitation of 64-bit AUv3 extensions?

I'm using ExtAudioFile, so yes it disk streams

• I am not sure I understand it right: will it read only SFZ, or also EXS?
    I don't really need a new SFZ player, since Lyra, which also reads EXS, but I might buy it anyway.

• edited October 2016

AND I want to learn and have fun! so, I decided to make my custom implementation since I found how to read exs24 sample files and I've already done the sfz parser.

• edited October 2016

(I also thought -WTH, why build and sfz / exs24 player if we have Lyra???-. but the thing is there's no standalone sfz player, and purchasing an entire DAW just for that it's kinda too big and expensive. so, if people like me want just a sample player for something like $5 less or more. well, it's just my opinion, and as I said... after all I'm doing this for learn and having some fun)

• Nice! Are you planning to release it?

• for sure! the engine (loading, au, etc.) was ready but I decided to not rely on AUSampler, so... it's going to take some time, but it'll do!