Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NaviChord or Chordpolypad?

Which do you use most? Any specific recommendations?
I would like to play a chord and do a melody on the onscreen keyboard. But i want to control different synths on different midi channels. Thanks!

Comments

• Chordion is best for that, but get all three!!

• Useless appaholic answer; I love both these apps. They are very capable. Perhaps CPP is easier to play (man and his big buttons), but they both allow for -different- compositional pleasures. Def. keepers and both easy to play other things with.

• I can't remember if ChordPolyPad can do multiple MIDI-channel out at once (never used it for that purpose). If it can, I'd definitely recommend that, as I don't think NaviChord can.

• Navichord can send midi for chords and melody to different midi channels

• edited March 2016

@CalCutta said:
    I can't remember if ChordPolyPad can do multiple MIDI-channel out at once (never used it for that purpose). If it can, I'd definitely recommend that.

edit: nm, I was mistaken, per-the post above, NaviChord can send out to multiple channels (chords specifically on one channel, melodies played from the on-screen keyboard on another).

• Cool, i think Navichord can do pads as well, which is something i want.

• Firo is another good option, and free.

• ChordPolyPad!
    random chord generator
    strum chords (customizable)
    rock solid midi controller
    per button midi assignment(s)
    iphone version

• Chord Poly Pad

• @Tones4Christ I'm not sure if you can play ChordPolyPad keyboard, I though it is only for assigning pads. Can someone try it out?

• @Navichord said:
    @Tones4Christ I'm not sure if you can play ChordPolyPad keyboard, I though it is only for assigning pads. Can someone try it out?

That's right but one could set up some pads to play chords on one channel and some to play single notes on another one.

• edited March 2016

Is there a way to have only pads, with pre made chords on NaviChord? And still play the keyboard to play a melody all at the same time?

Thanks.

@Navichord said:

@Tones4Christ I'm not sure if you can play ChordPolyPad keyboard, I though it is only for assigning pads. Can someone try it out?

• If I'm understanding the question correctly you only play the pads in CPP. CPP's keyboard is for assigning which notes or chords are triggered by each of the pads. Each pad in CPP can be assigned to a different MIDI out channel.

• Is there a way to have only pads, with pre made chords on NaviChord?

In Navichord, there are some chord presets included + you can randomize chords or get chords matching selected scale. See the screenshot below.
    http://www.musicappblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/navichord-chord-pad-menu-1.jpg

• Thnks! I like that! Is there perhaps a chance that you might be able to in the future add the ability to select mid out per pad? I think that is a super cool feature as one can have differnt synths respond to different pads through different midi channels.

@yowza said:
    If I'm understanding the question correctly you only play the pads in CPP. CPP's keyboard is for assigning which notes or chords are triggered by each of the pads. Each pad in CPP can be assigned to a different MIDI out channel.

@Navichord said:

Is there a way to have only pads, with pre made chords on NaviChord?

In Navichord, there are some chord presets included + you can randomize chords or get chords matching selected scale. See the screenshot below.
    http://www.musicappblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/navichord-chord-pad-menu-1.jpg

• edited March 2016

select mid out per pad

@Tones4Christ, would you really trigger 2 different chords on 2 different synths?

I've just released a free version of Navichord - check it out before buying - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/navichord-lite-intuitive-chord/id908077898?mt=8

• Awesome thanks!
    I saw a video of Doug doing something similar. Sounded pretty cool. I was thinking cause I have an app that you can change Ruth variations by selecting various notes on the keyboard. So i wanted to be able to send that midi signal to that app while sending other chord signals to another app while playing a melody on the built in keyboard. It really would open up so many possibilities.

• edited April 2016

Tiny feature request. A more standard way of saving pad presets would be appreciated. Currently when you click save a box asking for a file name pops up but you can't see nor choose presets that have already been saved. If you want to save over a previous preset, you have to remember the name of the file and type it in exactly.

Also, if the pictures of the shapes of different kinds of chords could be added back in that would be mucho appreciated

I got deep into Navichord this weekend. The workflow is really starting to click. The plus button is genius. I love the combo of the dot interface, pads, and keyboard. Very inspirational.

• I've just submitted a review of Navichord for Audio News Room. I will post a link as soon as its live :)

• Great review, loved it! Must have app for me.

• I already have Navichord but i always had an eye on CPP.Mainly because it's universal.Can i run CPP on an iphone and use bluetooth/Network midi to control stuff on my ipad?

• The price is kind of high tho and Navichord already does most of what I need.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    The price is kind of high tho and Navichord already does most of what I need.

I suppose (appaholia to one side) a decent question could be asked of folks who have both: which child would they kill? I wouldn't want to give either back now.

• edited April 2016

@Fruitbat1919 , thanks for reviewing, good job!

A more standard way of saving pad presets would be appreciated. Currently when you click save a box asking for a file name pops up but you can't see nor choose presets that have already been saved.

pictures of the shapes of different kinds of chords could be added back

@ecamburn , noted down.

• Does Chordpolypad has song mode?

• edited October 2017

ChordPolyPad doesn't support Ableton Link like Navichord.

I'd buy it in an instant if it did.

Navichord is now catching up with aspects CPP has had for a long time - like multiple banks of 16 pads. Except NC can then play these in sequenced fashion. Very useful.

I have to admit i prefer the GUI aspects of CPP though. I simply don't need or want the NC chord matrix. And its keyboard i don't need to play. If the keyboard was there in NC in order to make custom chords it would be useful but i don't need it to play. I think the screen real-estate of NC could be much better used to focus on the chord pads than it is currently.

But having said all the - Navichord is a cool app. Specially since it supported the AB3 MIDI page.

Just needs its GUI rethinking now - imo.

• What use would link be in ChordPolyPad?

• I have both Navichord and ChordPolyPad

ChordPolyPad has a great strumming feature and can control almost any midi parameter in the x y on each pad for each chord or note.

I find it easier to bang out chords on CPP and come up with interesting voicings. Navichord is a great performer to - its strength currently lies with is song mode :)

Congrats to both

• I wended up getting both but I use Navichord the very most! :)