Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Meteor multitrack recorder gets big update.

Updated with simultaneous multiple channel audio recording, improved timestretching and pitch shifting and lots more.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/meteor-multitrack-recorder/id417726727?mt=8

Comments

• wow ....sounds good...im going to re-install

• Here's full description.

What's New in Meteor v1.6
    Meteor now allows you to record multiple tracks at once. You can switch from 'Single-Track' to 'Multi-Track' from the 'Options' menu. Click here for more informaiton.

You can now use audio interfaces with multiple input and output channels. We have removed the 'Record Input Type' option from the 'Options' menu and allowed you to configure each channel individually from the tracks controller lane. Simply tap the ARM button to expand a track and tap the 'In/Out' button to select Input and Output audio channels. Click here for more informaiton.

You can now export videos attaching an audio track created in Meteor. Click here for more informaiton.

Meteor now allows loop recording of audio tracks. You can record several takes (in Single Track mode) and preview each take individually. Click here for more informaiton.

We have added a new effect 'Invert Phase' to the Wave Editor for creating wide stereo tracks from mono input.

Added improved quality and lower CPU pitch shifting and time stretching using Dirac Time Stretch/Pitch Shift technology.

Added basic Auto Tune facility to the waave editor. This feature only works on pre-recorded mono vocal tracks.

Copy, Paste and Replicate now preserve cross fades.

Added the ability to apply cross fades to all cloned clips.

Added cross fade presets for 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 and 500ms.

You can now access the Share To dialog directly from the Audio Pool.

Added Markers for easy navigation using home and end buttons. Tap and Hold in the ruler to add or remove markers. Click here for more information.

Added a MIDI Track Event Inspector to the MIDI Editor.

Added the ability to Dissolve Type 0 Midi files and Midi Parts.

Added the ability to Dissolve MIDI parts by channel, note, CC type or selection.

Fixed a bug when sending mix down via Email.

The Overview button now displays a preview of an entire track in the MIDI Editor and the entire mixer in Mixer Mode. This now works independantly of the overview in Track View.

Added a New project option to the Project Explorer.

Added the Song name to the Track Views overview screen and added an Info option above the track headers for displaying track names and track types. You can edit a track name by long pressing on the track name in 'Info' mode or from the edit menu in the mixer.

Added a 'Mixer Control Method' option to the 'Options' menu. This allows you to select a prefer method of control in the mixer.

Added a scroll lock to the mixer view.

We have added an option to the iPad's Settings app which allows you to turn off the automatic loading of the last loaded project. This is useful if a project has become corrupt and preventing Meteor from launching.

Please Note: Meteor now uses the fader controls as input levels during recording. This allows you to setup each track independantly when recording multiple tracks at the same time. Previously we had an Input Level in the mixer, which has now been removed.

• yes indeed.....big thanks for the info

• wowzers. that's a lot of update.

• Does the keyboard resize in Meteor (in the Midi Editor section)? I've written to the developers of the app a few times, but no respone re: this.

I like the app a lot and would use it much, much more, but the keyboard drives me nuts! If they would improve the keyboard with more sizing options like other apps offer (Garageband style would be the best!), I'd probably use the app as much or more than any other MIDI/DAW combos I have on my iPad.

• I guess their thinking is most people will use midi controllers with Meteor.

• Yeah, hopefully a few people from the forum will bug them for this feature... I write a lot from my iPad and being able to use the on screen keyboards is one of the biggest draws for me to use the iPad for creating music.

Seems like a no-brainer update to me... Not sure why they're dragging their feet on improving the keyboard. I think when they first put it out, there wasn't a keyboard at all, if I remember correctly?

• I wish they would update the user interface ..otherwise it's a cool app

• edited June 2013

I must say there's not another multi track recorder in Ios as feature rich. Meteor has automation, sampler, multi input/output channels, freeze effects, very nice sampled sounds etc. I still think its the most underrated app in IOS music.

• And pretty cheap. It does need a UI overhaul but really does offer a lot of bang for the buck.

• edited June 2013

Is there a way to scroll lock when doing automation drawing?
    Update: nvm. I was having a issue drawing automation but it wasn't because of scrolling. Not sure what it was but its working now.

• @mgmg4871 and @JMSexton I wouldn't argue your points re: Meteor being feature-rich and a bargain buy at all. It's those things that make the interface issues even more baffling to me... But, my main issue with the interface by far is the dreaded keyboard!! It's like the Meteor team gets so ramped up on the power features that they're overlooking some of the smaller things that can make apps top shelf (and the most popular). But again, Beatmaker 2 has similar UI issues, too. Any way one can hope!

• @dj8 I see your point if you're using onboard keyboard. For mobility it would give you a option if away from midi controller. I'm sure it will come. I was checking out the list of updates 4Pockets has done on this app. Very long list.

• "improved timestretching and pitch shifting"
    thats what im looking for - i will reinstall it

• Looks very tempting, but I really like writing with on screen instruments, so I really need a descent in app keyboard and drum pads. I'll keep watching this thread. And see what develops. I'm a hesitant because I bought beatmaker a few weeks ago and I find the work flow just sucks for me.

• edited June 2013

Can't you use an Audiobus enabled app with Virtual MIDI to give you your on screen instruments? I'm not keen on piano keyboards on iDevices anyway, so I tend to use iFretless or Geo Synth to control pitched instruments. Meteor is just there to catch the output.

• @PaulB, it seems counterintuitive to have a touchsurface device that makes the argument to use hardware or AudioBus as it's most viable, or arguably, only viable form of midi input. When I'm working, I want to get in there and do the work as efficiently as possible, remember the melody/beat/idea etc... that's going to make me that next million $ hit.... Yeah, right. LOL. But, I do want as little to get in the way as possible. So, I definitely want the option to be able to play directly into the app I'm using w/ it's internal keyboard, drum pads, etc.... To me, hardware and Audiobus connectivity, as tremendous as they are, are secondary options for gettng my music down in tracks. I go to them often, but still secondary.

In my ideal set-up, I'd most often use Audiobus to connect to the INTERNAL keyboard of an app, and continue using the internal keyboard with the sounds of the Audiobus connected app. (Maybe a possible feature request?!!!)

Again, I definitely don't want to take away from the goodness of Meteor. I think it's pretty awesome and sorely underrated (and it's probably fair to say, underappreciated).

• Not sure I understand your ideal setup description. Sorry.

• @dj8 I think PaulB met an internal midi controller not external hardware. Something like GeoSynth or even other apps you can turn off their sounds and use it as a controller like ThumbJam

• I do get that, @JMSexton... I mentioned Audiobus above, meant that in reference to internal midi.

@PaulB , I'm saying (or trying :) that, as is, Audiobus links one app to another, as we all know. In Beatmaker, for example, you can VM to something like Magellan and keep playing the Magellan keyboard sounds from the Beatmaker app keyboard. I'll confess that I had a bit of a brain fart in previous post... Sorry, only 2 hrs sleep last night... ! But for apps like Loopy and others that don't have a keyboard/onscreen input "device", it would be great if Audiobus had an optional one available that I could just pop up right in Loopy that was still controlling the Beatmaker keyboard or whichever routing I had chosen... That way I wouldn't have to switch screens so much. That's what I was thinking... But far from what I typed above!!!

But that's a different point from my Meteor keyboard improvement rant/obsession!!!

• edited June 2013

Ok. Just in case my point was misunderstood. If your favourite iPad keyboard is the one in NLog, you can use it to control the instruments you want in Meteor or whatever via virtual MIDI. If you also load them into Audiobus, you can use the record button in the Audiobus panel to start Meteor recording without leaving NLog. Isn't that pretty close to what you want?

• Except when I want to jump forward a bar or two... Or, jump down to track 2 add bass , and jump up to track 1 and add to the piano part , etc... This sort of thing can lead me to plug up the hardware, due to the constant screen switching... and, I guess the thing for me is when I start heading for the hardware, I'll usually keep moving and fire up a Logic or Reason... Or, worse, just give up and stop writing... (I say its a bad thing for me to switch over to Logic/Reason because I end up splitting files across formats, getting caught up w importing/exporting, etc...) I'd much rather have so few movements away from the app screen I'm working in that I feel no need to go to my hardware. Also, writing on the iPad is VERY inspiring for me. Its like the ultimate digital notepad, IMO.

I still think an optional floating keyboard via Audiobus could be a big help in this regard.

• edited June 2013

@paulb he wants the keyboard to be in the recording app. No matter what it's controlling. See his request for AB to include a universal keyboard so he could use it in an app like LoopyHD.

To make the most of using Meteor, he wants a good master controller keyboard in that app.

I think.

• @syrupcore, yes thanks for boiling it down for me to the point!

• If I could get pinch zoom it would be my goto daw!

• Confession time. I own Meteor, I dropped cash on all the IAPs. I just can't stand using it. Nothing seems intuitive, and I don't have a background in desktop DAWs. I just feel lost. Every so often, I grit my teeth and try again. Last time I tried triggering ifretless bass through midi and recording the audio back with AB. No joy, it kept stopping. So I just tried to record the audio with no midi. It just wouldn't line up with the simple drum track. Emailed the dev, got a quick and helpful reply, but nothing solved it. I want to like it, I really do, but...

• ifretless bass have a midi problem with other apps

• edited June 2013

I've used iFretless Bass to drive other apps via MIDI numerous times, never had a problem.

Rereading this, I think I misunderstood. I've never used another app to play iFretless sounds via MIDI. For me, the playing surface is the best bit about iFretless, so what would be the point?

Never had the lining up problem in Meteor either, though.

• Hi Ian, Ive used iFretless several times in conjunction with Meteor in exactly the way you describe and it worked just fine (you dont get the same level of expressiveness of course as playing iFretless direct of course). Meteor can be a bit buggy I find but its not a show stopper. Id happily walk you through how I do it if you wanted.

• Thanks, guys, I'm deeper into the BM2 learning curve now, and starting to get things done, so havent been spending any time in Meteor. I probably didn't explain too well. @PaulB, agreed, the playing surface of ifretless is its strength. I was only using it as an experiment to see how easily it could be done. When midi triggering didn't work, I played directly from ifretless thru AB into Meteor and the audio still didn't line up. BM2 seems to need every app opened in a certain order, but so far so good :)