Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Microkey Air Review

It's been some time since I saw someone post something about this amazing new product! It's probably the first Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) MIDI keyboard controller since the CME XKey's not launched yet? It has mini keys like the Microkey Air before it, and believe I was one of the first to buy it from Amazon.

Latency of this little wonder is negligible over BLE, and freeing up the lightning port is great! The keys have a good feel to them (i was using iRig Keys before this and tested the XKey too and this was the best out of the three). I've been teaching with the 49 keys version coupled with Ivory on Korg Module with the iPad's sound coming out of a Bose Soundlink Mini II. My students can't believe how it's even possible to have a setup with no wires triggering a sampled Steinway piano all packed neatly inside a baritone ukulele bag!

Comments

• Thanks for the thumbs up, been waiting for some feedback on these. Does the BLE connect seamlessly to all apps? Is it 100% reliable with no dropouts?
    Thanks again!
    About to order 37 key version

• That's impressive that you're pulling off Bluetooth MIDI and Audio for lessons. Making me rethink it.

I know there is some latency. There must be. I wonder what the actual number is though I suppose it doesn't matter if it works.

• Thanks from me too, I've been waiting for some real user feedback on this, I have an AKAI LPK but want something with pitch bend and modulation, so have been looking at this for that reason, but was reluctant to take the plunge due to worries about latency.

• edited March 2016

The BLE connects seamlessly and quickly to all apps that has support for Bluetooth MIDI devices - most good apps do. It has been 100% reliable with no dropouts, and the latency is technically there, but almost entirely not noticeable at all, especially compared to the other BLE device that I own - the Jamstik+. And as a professional, I think it's perfectly usable in any live performance context.

Sidenote: The Jamstik+ is ABSOLUTELY unusable as a performance tool whatsoever due to its latency unless you are using slow attack pads. It's a fun advanced toy at most.

Below is a video by another owner which showed him walking towards the iPad with the Microkey Air connected from wayyyy far away and still have it very playable from a different storey of the house

All in all, I think the Microkey Air is a miracle product and I'm hugely impressed every time I use it, and remember it supports sustain pedals now! I pair it with a M-Audio SP20 and carry the 49-key version in this:
    http://www.amazon.com/ChromaCast-CC-TNBTB-BAG-Baritone-Ukulele-Padded/dp/B00H54AILK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457347735&sr=8-1&keywords=baritone+ukulele+bag

@syrupcore I can't Bluetooth the audio-out because the latency is huge on that end, so i use an Aux cable for that

• @necrome gotcha. Cheers.

• Got mine on Friday and used it a LOT over the weekend. It really opens up Gadget and makes you appreciate just how crappy the on screen keys are for killing inspiration!

There IS indeed latency though, and it's the first thing you notice when you press a key for the very first time. Not sure of the exact amount, but it's nowhere near as bad as an Android music app, for example... :p

It seems acceptable for composing and entering notes, but live performers may well have an issue with it...

Overall thumbs up from me. Price could be cheaper.

• Is there a list of Bluetooth enabled apps around ?

• I was going to buy this but going to wait do the nanokeystudio instead. Looks great though

• Was over guitar center over the weekend and checked out the older wired Korg microkey 37 and the keys felt so good, even better tham other big controllers. No sustain switch or pedal input on that one though.

• MicroKey looks like a really nice keyboard (if you're okay with the smaller keys, which I mostly am). I almost bought one but opted for an Xkey 37 instead because of the 5-pin DIN MIDI connection option. The Bluetooth thing concerns me a bit, though, because latency would bother me. Even if most of it is just a "placebo effect".

• @syrupcore said:
    That's impressive that you're pulling off Bluetooth MIDI and Audio for lessons. Making me rethink it.

I know there is some latency. There must be. I wonder what the actual number is though I suppose it doesn't matter if it works.

I've had a Bose SoundLink Mini, and there's noticeable latency especially if you play drums or fast sequences.
    Also, I've returned it because it had a very small but annoying latency on cable also, which is unacceptable for a Bose product of that price :)

• edited March 2016

I would just like to reiterate that I have no latency issues on my side at all, and hence my wholehearted recommendation. I'm running Microkey Air 49 on Bluetooth to Korg Module on iPad Air Gen 1 out through an Aux-ed output Soundlink Mini II with updated firmware on all devices. I have also tried using bs-16i and other synths and they all function as they would as if connected by wire. Used it live on all occasions :smiley:

@StormJH1 I kept hitting the wrong keys on the XKey 37 when I tried it for 2 hours cause of the keys' singular height profile, and the clackity-clack was really loud!

• @necrome said:
    I would just like to reiterate that I have no latency issues on my side at all, and hence my wholehearted recommendation. I'm running Microkey Air 49 on Bluetooth to Korg Module on iPad Air Gen 1 out through an Aux-ed output Soundlink Mini II with updated firmware on all devices. I have also tried using bs-16i and other synths and they all function as they would as if connected by wire. Don't think I can convince anyone otherwise, especially people who've never given it a real try :smiley:

@StormJH1 I kept hitting the wrong keys on the XKey 37 when I tried it for 2 hours cause of their height profiles, and the clackity-clack was really loud!

Brilliant! that's all I need to hear, ordered

• @enc said:
    Is there a list of Bluetooth enabled apps around ?

Not sure but i can confirm at least that these works with my iPhone via bluetooth with usable latency:
    Gadget
    NanoStudio
    Mitosynth
    GarageBand
    Noise
    Synthmaster

I'm sure there are more on iPads.

• That sounds great, my 37 key version should arrive in a day or two, now I look forward to it even more :smiley:

• edited March 2016

@necrome said:
    It's been some time since I saw someone post something about this amazing new product! It's probably the first Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) MIDI keyboard controller since the CME XKey's not launched yet? It has mini keys like the Microkey Air before it, and believe I was one of the first to buy it from Amazon.

Latency of this little wonder is negligible over BLE, and freeing up the lightning port is great! The keys have a good feel to them (i was using iRig Keys before this and tested the XKey too and this was the best out of the three). I've been teaching with the 49 keys version coupled with Ivory on Korg Module with the iPad's sound coming out of a Bose Soundlink Mini II. My students can't believe how it's even possible to have a setup with no wires triggering a sampled Steinway piano all packed neatly inside a baritone ukulele bag!

I think we see more of those tools. I just wish it had aftertouch and a few knobs or sliders to midi learn.
    But i think it is a good tool. Korg really did some great things lateley.

(indeed... the first bluetooth LE midi keyboard was the Seabord Rise...)

• @Cinebient said:

Actually that's wrong, the Miselu C.24 was.

• @CalCutta said:

@Cinebient said:

Ha, i think you're right.... it was some time before ;)
    I read that somewhere but it was meant to be the first MPE midi device with BLE.
    But indeed, are there more than those 3 out there?
    I still prefer usb cable because bluetooth is sometimes unstable and loose connection (on my iPhone and my mac.... but seldom).
    Nothing i would use in a live performance.
    There is def. a little latency but for a beginner in playing keyboard like me it's o.k.!

• @Cinebient said:

@CalCutta said:

@Cinebient said:

Ha, i think you're right.... it was some time before ;)
    I read that somewhere but it was meant to be the first MPE midi device with BLE.
    But indeed, are there more than those 3 out there?
    I still prefer usb cable because bluetooth is sometimes unstable and loose connection (on my iPhone and my mac.... but seldom).
    Nothing i would use in a live performance.
    There is def. a little latency but for a beginner in playing keyboard like me it's o.k.!

Agreed 100%. The only Bluetooth anything I use with music is the H9 control app, and that's by force (don't think it's possible to run the H9 to the iDevice via-USB and have the iDevice recognize the H9). Bluetooth connections are so tenuous, the latency is awful.

With all that said, the bluetooth thing Korg's releasing with the faders and knobs is very very tempting. Hoping I can get a chance to try one of those and see if the latency is tolerable (I have my doubts...).

• Thanks for the enthusiasiac review!

Does anyone know how many Bluetooth peripherals we can have on the iOS?

• @TGiG the most I've tried is two, so I can't offer more information than that! But it's more than one and that was helpful enough for me :blush:

• Cool! Two is better than one! Thanks again @necrome

• I recently got a Microkey Air 61 here in Toronto. I wasn't sure it was gonna work, but it works SO smooth with my iPad Pro. Really really low latency. Perfect for living room jamming.

• How do these feel? Lightweight clicky-clacky toy, or hefty traditional piano?

• I had to to personally to the music store. I tried the older wired microkey 37 and the feel is extremely confortable for push down on the keys. Nit that tight springy cheapy feel of so many controllers.

• @necrome said:
    @StormJH1 I kept hitting the wrong keys on the XKey 37 when I tried it for 2 hours cause of the keys' singular height profile, and the clackity-clack was really loud!

I could see that - it's definitely not for everyone. I actually gave it a 4-star Amazon review for both some of the playability issues but also some potential durability issues with the proprietary cable jacks. I think the further removed you are from playing on other pianos synths (in my case, about 20 years since I had any "formal" training), it may be less of an issue for you. Also, if you had larger, wider fingers, the XKey37 might actually appeal to you.

If the microKey 37 or 61 offered 5-pin MIDI connection, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat over the Xkey37. In fact, I'm just a huge fan of pretty much everything Korg lately - software, hardware (Volca series), controllers (nanoKey, etc.).

• I'm personally a huge fan of my XKey 25. The keyboard action is like a computer keyboard, so if you can type fast, your playing can reflect that (it won't turn you into Rachmaninoff, but you can play fast!)

• There is a 61 key version also. Thanks guys..I'm gonna get one

• I got my Mickey Air 37 last week.

There's definitely a small latency compared to a USB connected keyboard, it's not much, but you can "feel" it.

What's interesting is that I found the latency to be lower in KORG Module than in Gadget. Module's fastest setting is listed as 64 (can't remember if it's samples or ms), Gadgets fastest setting does not indicate a number but my guess is that it's at least 128.

The cool thing is that we could get better latency in Gadget if the hardware allows it, but unfortunately its up to KORG to implement this by allowing a smaller buffersize (which they may not do at the moment since the hit on multitrack performance may be too high).

That said, the Microkey is perfectly usable and of course you still have the option of using USB if you like, but comparing it side to side with my Keystation 32 connected via USB makes it quite clear that you do sacrifice some accuracy for the convenience of going cordless.

Of course if you quantize everything anyway it doesn't really matter :wink:

• I am thinking to get a Korg Microkey 37 (or 49) to practice everywhere piano/keyboard skills...mainly with Module, but also with other apps.
    I have heard that the keys are quite small for proper practice...better go with the iRig Pro...since I should order via internet, no possibility to try .... can somebody help me on it...with reference to chords, scales, etc...

Appreciated.