Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I HATE SAMPLING, for now!!!

Is there another ios app that ya'll recommend for sampling old school cuts other than beatmaker??? I'm ripping out my hair trying to sample properly AND I'M ALREADY BALDING ON THE TOP. Does anyone else run into problems bpm matching??

don't know how dj's blend cuts together so perfectly and me as a producer can't seem to match bpm of the sample to the tempo of the song.I use BM to do my sampling and it worked a few times by fluke, but I tried recently to sample a track from the seventies and just like many times before that, the metronome would just be tick tick tocking clean off the sample.

Could it be the RAM on the pad? Could it be that i'm down to the last two gigabytes that it does not properly sync? If there is anyone that can help please do so Cuz i'm bout to seriously cut out sampling from my riddim making experience.

Comments

• Have you tried NanoStudio? Here's a recent demo from Jon Rawlinson (Pants of Death) showing how he uses it for sample editing:

• encenc
    edited March 2016

Could it be the "live" drumming on the 70's track you are sampling is off !?? Not sure drummers in the 70s played to a click track

• @Seangarland said:
    Have you tried NanoStudio? Here's a recent demo from Jon Rawlinson (Pants of Death) showing how he uses it for sample editing:

Okay i'll check it out thanks

• @enc said:
    Could it be the "live" drumming on the 70's track you are sampling is off !??

Could be, that may be the problem, because I heard somewhere in that instance the bpm is likely to be off especially in 'live tracks' what do u think

• encenc
    edited March 2016

@Grippy said:

@enc said:

Could be, that may be the problem, because I heard somewhere in that instance the bpm is likely to be off especially in 'live tracks' what do u think

A very real possibility ... Not sure drummers in the 70s played to a click track.

I was listening to some audio stems (from a well known 70s punk band) and the isolated drum track...even to my ears as a none drummer, I could tell they were slightly "flabby" in the timing.

• Mini sampler in Cubasis

• Beatmaker 3 supposedly will have a much improved workflow

• @enc said:

@Grippy said:

@enc said:

A very real possibility ... Not sure drummers in the 70s played to a click track.

I was listening to some audio stems (from a well known 70s punk band) and the isolated drum track...even to my ears as a none drummer, I could tell they were slightly "flabby" in the timing.

They used to have this quaint notion called 'feel'.

• @Jocphone said:

@enc said:

@Grippy said:

@enc said:

Fuelled by alcohol and other substances :p

• edited March 2016

playing to a click track vs to a drum machine (go to about 1:20)

• @Telstar5 said:
    Mini sampler in Cubasis

I've been hearing about the CB minisampler, what do u think? Might it be better than the chop lab in BM2??

• @Telstar5 said:
    Beatmaker 3 supposedly will have a much improved workflow

Is there a BM3 on the way?

• The 'Auto-Slice' in the new iMPC Pro works quite well for matching loops but I'm hopng Cubasis will get something similar to what is present in Logic Pro X (Flex Time & Pitch) that would make it easier to stretch and match tempos of different loops.

The 'groove' that is present in some older recorcds is most likely caused by some chemical substances so trying to match it to a mechanical grid is a real chalenge :D

If we take the classic 'Bullit' sondtrack as an example.
    In the original you could almost 'smell' the smoke in the air.
    The remastered 'studio almbum' sounds almost the same but lacks the 'groove' of the original. Making good loops from the studio almbum is a lot easier because the timing is more 'controlled'.

When sampling with BM2 I use tap-tempo to the beat to set the tempo as close as possible. The time-stretch works quite good if the original loops are nicely trimmed.

The 'Choplab' in BM2 can also create a pattern putting the slices in right places for easy tempo-adjustment.

Even though some say sampling is not an artform I disagree, recycling material in creative ways should be encouraged.

I'm also waiting for BM3. The expectations are thru the roof so we can only hope it delivers once released :D

• @Samu said:
    The 'Auto-Slice' in the new iMPC Pro works quite well for matching loops but I'm hopng Cubasis will get something similar to what is present in Logic Pro X (Flex Time & Pitch) that would make it easier to stretch and match tempos of different loops.

The 'groove' that is present in some older recorcds is most likely caused by some chemical substances so trying to match it to a mechanical grid is a real chalenge :D

If we take the classic 'Bullit' sondtrack as an example.
    In the original you could almost 'smell' the smoke in the air.
    The remastered 'studio almbum' sounds almost the same but lacks the 'groove' of the original. Making good loops from the studio almbum is a lot easier because the timing is more 'controlled'.

When sampling with BM2 I use tap-tempo to the beat to set the tempo as close as possible. The time-stretch works quite good if the original loops are nicely trimmed.

The 'Choplab' in BM2 can also create a pattern putting the slices in right places for easy tempo-adjustment.

Even though some say sampling is not an artform I disagree, recycling material in creative ways should be encouraged.

I'm also waiting for BM3. The expectations are thru the roof so we can only hope it delivers once released :D

Very informative, thanks bro

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@Jocphone said:

@enc said:

@Grippy said:

@enc said:

Fuelled by alcohol and other substances :p

Well, it'd be rude not to..

• @Jocphone said:

@enc said:

@Grippy said:

@enc said:

Ahhh, yeah, I should put my crappy playing down to "feel" :D

• You have to trim, chop, nudge, slice, and dice to get samples to work with a grid...

Check out some yt vids of Madlib, J. Dilla, or Oh No to see and hear some great examples of using non standard and weird samples with beats... There is also a series where they let producers choose 3 random records and they have to make a beat, it's fun to watch what they come up with and could probably give you some tips and insight...

Sampling grooves is still all about feel...

• I find samplewiz really easy to work with.

• I dunno if NanoStudio is really the best at this but man-oh-man is that wave editor buttery to operate. Like the good Mr. Pants, I too still use it as my main iOS wave editor because it's just so smooth to zoom in both directions.

@Grippy Are you having trouble getting a perfect loop or are you happy with your loop and having trouble getting it to align to another beat? What apps do you have already?

• @Telstar5 said:
    Beatmaker 3 supposedly will have a much improved workflow

And we'll see it soon after NanoStudio 2 launches. :)

• @enc said:

Free click track flabbiness is especially in Sector. Each sector is the same length, and I have not found a way to alter the length of each sector.

When you throw old drum breaks into sector, the individual don't always match the beat.

• @johnfromberkeley said:

When you throw old drum breaks into sector, the individual don't always match the beat.

That's one of the areas I feel needs to be improved in Sector and one way would be to allow the user to 'add,split, merge or remove' sectors and to make that easier it should be possible to zoom-in.

Who knows maybe a future sector will include transient detection and make things easier and when that happens we'll be asking for an option to layer loops in Sector or replacing AUM's file-player with the 'sector-engine' :D

• @Cassetteur said:
    You have to trim, chop, nudge, slice, and dice to get samples to work with a grid...

Check out some yt vids of Madlib, J. Dilla, or Oh No to see and hear some great examples of using non standard and weird samples with beats... There is also a series where they let producers choose 3 random records and they have to make a beat, it's fun to watch what they come up with and could probably give you some tips and insight...

Believe me, chop and slice samples down to the finest fraction of a frame. U know when the waveform is literally in blocks, that's how far i've come

• @Cassetteur said:

Truth.

• @syrupcore said:
    I dunno if NanoStudio is really the best at this but man-oh-man is that wave editor buttery to operate. Like the good Mr. Pants, I too still use it as my main iOS wave editor because it's just so smooth to zoom in both directions.

@Grippy Are you having trouble getting a perfect loop or are you happy with your loop and having trouble getting it to align to another beat? What apps do you have already?

Getting the perfect loop is not the problem, getting it to align to the beat is, I have MS2 BM2, crystalline, grain proc

• @Samu said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

That's one of the areas I feel needs to be improved in Sector and one way would be to allow the user to 'add,split, merge or remove' sectors and to make that easier it should be possible to zoom-in.

Who knows maybe a future sector will include transient detection and make things easier and when that happens we'll be asking for an option to layer loops in Sector or replacing AUM's file-player with the 'sector-engine' :D

Lllooolll

• @Grippy said:

@syrupcore said:
    I dunno if NanoStudio is really the best at this but man-oh-man is that wave editor buttery to operate. Like the good Mr. Pants, I too still use it as my main iOS wave editor because it's just so smooth to zoom in both directions.

Getting the perfect loop is not the problem, getting it to align to the beat is, I have MS2 BM2, crystalline, grain proc

Ok, presuming the loop is good, load the sample into the BM2 editor and figure out how long it is in milliseconds. Then go here to get the tempo: http://testtone.com/calculators/loop-length-bpm-calculator

Set the track that tempo and rejoice, hopefully. If it's still not 'lining up' you may need to adjust your sample start and end points. For instance, the original has the kick purposefully a little late or a little early, starting your sample at the beginning of the kick sample (which is the normal method for this sorta thing) will make the 2 and 4 sound 'off' compared to the original. I can't remember if BM2 has the ability to keep the length locked and move it around. If not, AudioShare does though you'll need to start with the larger sample (so there's someplace to move the loop).

What's MS2?

• I'm not entirely sure about this because I always sample from my own previously improvised jams- so I know the exact bpm. Anyway I think Novation Launchpad will stretch or squeeze your phrase samples to fit- if so, you could use it to do this- then record it to Audioshare- then put it into your setup.

• @robosardine said:
    I'm not entirely sure about this because I always sample from my own previously improvised jams- so I know the exact bpm. Anyway I think Novation Launchpad will stretch or squeeze your phrase samples to fit- if so, you could use it to do this- then record it to Audioshare- then put it into your setup.

This can work if the sample being manipulated was in "the pocket", so to speak, meaning that each part of the rhythm was in the same proportion to the rest of the rhythm, groove-wise. This rarely happens when sampling live drums that were likely recorded without a click-track (or if the drummer's timing sucked).

In these cases, the best bet is to chop the sample down to individual hits and ghost notes and re-sequence from there. There are approximately 50 million videos on youtube showing different ways to do this.

• Yeah, what Cutta said...

Sampling is best when you use your ears and not stare at a grid or try to micromanage them too much... The beauty of the Roland/Boss SP series (which Madlib and Dilla use) is there is no editing window so you have to use your ears and natural rhythm to get everything to gel... Try sampling off beat or on the 2 or long or small snippets to see what you can come up with, again it's all about your natural timing and groove... Too many perfectly timed and gridded samples are what have given us the paint by numbers way of making tracks a la GB or even EDM...