Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drum Session......It's here!! :) Yay

Comments

• @StormJH1 said:
    Really cool. I've had a eye on this for awhile not just because I think there's still a need for a great acoustic drum app to support guitar players, but also because I've used some of Derek's samples and loops and they're some of the best resources of that type we've had on iOS.

Right now, if you're a guitarist with limited knowledge of drumming, your best options are Rock Drum Machine (which has great loops and some improv features, but not really built for full customization and song writing), GarageBand's virtual drummer (kinda barebones, but underrated), or DrumPerfect/Pro (which a lot of people love but which I was never able to understand and work with).

This project has potential to marry some of the best aspects of all of those into one app. TONS of built-in loops for people who just want to jam or find quick inspiration. A piano roll style editor that allows you to program your own stuff. And loads of high-quality samples and kits that will already be in the app, rather than trying to import them all into a sampler and making that work.

U.I. looks good too - it's not drab or boring, but also not trying too hard to be fancy and throw a bunch of crap on the screen that would just slow down performance. I expect it to be a big file size and probably have a bit of a learning curve, but I'm pretty confident it will be worth the money to give it a shot.

Learning curve is MINIMAL....I plan on doing a few short tutorial videos that will have everybody up and running like pros in just a few minutes. Right now my file size is just under 200mb.... it might wind up pushing 300 fully loaded when we implement all the other features we have planned for the next year

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Not sure I'd buy this. I agree with @StormJH1's assessment of current options and I worry that this will be closer to DrumPerfect Pro which I admire but have never made anything I want to work with. However, that's what this forum is great at; if the brethren report back as to its essential essentialness then fair enough...

I'm just gonna let the app speak for itself...do a few vids...and let the people do their thing with it...lol. It's pretty good, I guess... (said in Pedro voice from Napolean Dynomite) hahaha!! It might not be for EVERYONE....but I'd say it's the closest thing to a EZDrummer comparison that I can find...minus the huge storage space required... and the drums sound pretty darn good too...dare I say better than EZD did straight out of the box... well...to ME they do..lol

• Dude this is awesome!!
    Please allow multi outs for adding effects to snares or toms.

• Oh hell yes, bring on the vids! This looks much easier to get results with than DPP but highly useful at the same time. The file size sure works for me and I just got rid of DPP so I will not even notice the footprint.

• @DerekBuddemeyer said:
    Ok...so here's a really janky test vid...lol. https://www.facebook.com/DrumSessionMobile/videos/387482448309492/

All over this. SO necessary.

• edited November 2016

Hell yes, If only more software creators showed half of the aptitude for making promo vids, iOS music land would be a nicer place. It really does sound and look great. More than a few loops packed with it. Wow. It sure took a while and I did not know of you prior to hearing someone mention that you were creating this. I thought you were pulling our collective legs with the long wait but DAMN! Good on you for this one. As Jacob might say,"I want to finger it"!

• @DerekBuddemeyer said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Not sure I'd buy this. I agree with @StormJH1's assessment of current options and I worry that this will be closer to DrumPerfect Pro which I admire but have never made anything I want to work with. However, that's what this forum is great at; if the brethren report back as to its essential essentialness then fair enough...

I'm just gonna let the app speak for itself...do a few vids...and let the people do their thing with it...lol. It's pretty good, I guess... (said in Pedro voice from Napolean Dynomite) hahaha!! It might not be for EVERYONE....but I'd say it's the closest thing to a EZDrummer comparison that I can find...minus the huge storage space required... and the drums sound pretty darn good too...dare I say better than EZD did straight out of the box... well...to ME they do..lol

I am a cheap tart, but I think I might be sold :) Especially if you do the vids. Vids are key for the willing but slow of head.

• Yeah that video rocks man! Love that you can edit almost everything. I did notice the folks came in a lot louder than the rest of the drums but again that could be the camera speaker or even editable post recording. Either way saving for this one!

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Yeah that video rocks man! Love that you can edit almost everything. I did notice the folks came in a lot louder than the rest of the drums but again that could be the camera speaker or even editable post recording. Either way saving for this one!

Yeah...the audio is crap...but you get the general feel ...and it's SO easy. Grab your guitar or instrument of choice...find the loops that fit your song...throw them on the timeline...add some fills and a few accents with cymbals and you've got your drum track. Throw it in a DAW and record everything else and you're set.... or build drum tracks for a coffee shop set while you play and sing... I don't know how many times I've just jammed along to different loops and have come up with great riffs I never would have thought of before. Mind you, I'm not speaking as a salesman...but as a musician right now...this thing has pulled my butt out of a slump on many occasion....can't wait for everyone to get their chance to check it out. Really excited to hear everyone's feedback.

And.... Thanksgiving is Our goal for a launch date.

• somebody give me your definition of "stem support" and I'll let you know if that is a possibility...

I'm thinking this...each kit piece has its own dedicated track so you can mix individually to your liking in a DAW....

For me...that's a ton of work...I've done it...and it worked out great...but the way this is put together...the mix is solid. But...I know there's a ton of people who are gonna want to geek out with this...so in the next few updates....we are going to look at making this happen. 97% probability on this becoming a reality

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@DerekBuddemeyer said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I am a cheap tart, but I think I might be sold :) Especially if you do the vids. Vids are key for the willing but slow of head.

I hate reading a manual...or going through a help menu at times. I read comic books...they're fun and entertaining... instructions are not (although I've tried to make them look as if they might be) I pick up on things a lot faster if I can see it or I'm being shown...so I fully intend to do some how-to vids. Our Facebook page has a message button...make suggestions...we are open to all ideas and if there's something you need help with...we will totally have support ready. Same thing with any potential bugs...message me. We have a lightening fast turn around time with some of the best coders in the business...

• @DerekBuddemeyer said:
    somebody give me your definition of "stem support" and I'll let you know if that is a possibility...

For me personally the ability to export each drum as a separate WAV file from the song would be ideal.

So I lay out the song, and in the export options I can "save to stems", which will automatically create 6 different audio files and export them to AudioShare or Dropbox.

• @DerekBuddemeyer said:
    Ok...so here's a really janky test vid...lol. https://www.facebook.com/DrumSessionMobile/videos/387482448309492/

Great demo, shows how easy and versatile this is.

• @DerekBuddemeyer said:
    somebody give me your definition of "stem support" and I'll let you know if that is a possibility...

I'm thinking this...each kit piece has its own dedicated track so you can mix individually to your liking in a DAW....

For me...that's a ton of work...I've done it...and it worked out great...but the way this is put together...the mix is solid. But...I know there's a ton of people who are gonna want to geek out with this...so in the next few updates....we are going to look at making this happen. 97% probability on this becoming a reality

Yeppers - I view each drum piece in a kit as a separate instrument, begging for its own track in a DAW so it can be sonically sculpted to taste. One standard case scenario is, drums facing the listener (hats in the right channel and toms panned R to L from high to low) vs from behind the kit (as a drummer would hear it - hats in the L channel and toms panned L to R from high to low).

I'm an audience perspective kind of guy, and like using EQ on kicks and snares to achieve separation from bass guitar and other competing frequencies. I've worked with stereo drum tracks in the past, but given my druthers ... Would LOVE to see this implemented as an export option.

And it's not just you Derek - I've been bugging Luis Martinez to put this in his line of drum apps (he's considering it), and have an open plea to Korg to PLEASE put solo/mute buttons on Bilbao and Gladstone. I think many users would like to be able to access stems in their DAW. It's certainly a strong selling point for apps like DrumPerfect and Beathawk :+1:

• Can't wait to try this app! Are we able to have a song mode? Or are we able to say have a way to put certain variations of the beats on pads and fills and trigger them in realtime as the song plays? This would be so cool sorta like an arranger keyboard where one triggers variations in realtime to build the song more realistically. Hope it makes sense.

• Rock Drum Machine has this option of live pads but the virtual drummer is a bit hard to control at times.

• Is it possible, playing with the pads, to have some automatic parts? I mean, the app could play kick drum 2/4 and 4/4 and the hit-hat chop-chop 1/4...4/4 (or anything else) while you playing pads live.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Can't wait to try this app! Are we able to have a song mode? Or are we able to say have a way to put certain variations of the beats on pads and fills and trigger them in realtime as the song plays? This would be so cool sorta like an arranger keyboard where one triggers variations in realtime to build the song more realistically. Hope it makes sense.

Not able to trigger "loops" with the pads...they are more for building your own loops/patterns or adding accents to your track. You can play them live though. Can also connect to an electric drum kit and play/record direct into your favorite DAW. The drag/drop method is the easiest way I know tomconstruct a drum track and the edits are seamless.

• @fjcblanco said:
    Is it possible, playing with the pads, to have some automatic parts? I mean, the app could play kick drum 2/4 and 4/4 and the hit-hat chop-chop 1/4...4/4 (or anything else) while you playing pads live.

Not at the moment...but that is something I will look into...like you can in BM2 and Nanostudio

• Cool i like that drag and drop feature!

• "iPhone Support coming soon" sounds good ;-)

• @Munibeast said:
    "iPhone Support coming soon" sounds good ;-)

Yes...next couple updates iPhone/iPod touch 5 & up

• My family is wondering why I'm pacing around, tapping my foot, and checking my watch all the time.

• @supanorton said:
    My family is wondering why I'm pacing around, tapping my foot, and checking my watch all the time.

Lol....I don't blame you...doing the same here...

• Definitely supporting stems in the first couple updates...you will be able to export kicks, snares, toms, etc to their own tracks

• @DerekBuddemeyer said:
    Definitely supporting stems in the first couple updates...you will be able to export kicks, snares, toms, etc to their own tracks

YES!

• @DerekBuddemeyer said:
    Definitely supporting stems in the first couple updates...you will be able to export kicks, snares, toms, etc to their own tracks

Nice! I pretty much avoid drum apps that don't support this now... not that I am trying to add pressure or anything! ;) ;)