Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drum Session......It's here!! :) Yay

Comments

• @ricksteruk said:
    Can DrumSession do as good a job of emulating a real drummer as DrumPerfect Pro? The DPP tracks I've heard sound pretty amazing

Better and far easier in fact! Far far easier!

• Yup, chalk and cheese, chocolate and cheroots, etc etc.

• @Tritonman said:

@ricksteruk said:
    Can DrumSession do as good a job of emulating a real drummer as DrumPerfect Pro? The DPP tracks I've heard sound pretty amazing

It'll even try to steal your girlfriend.

• @wim said:

@Tritonman said:

@ricksteruk said:

LMAO!!!!

• edited April 2017

lol, Too funny, I saw this on FB Derek, and knew I was missing out on something here at the forum. :)

Only 43K views for this thread!?!?! Should be over 50K, right? lol ;)
    _
    edited cuz I had the number wrong._

• @High5denied said:
    lol, Too funny, I saw this on FB Derek, and knew I was missing out on something here at the forum. :)

Only 48K views for this thread!?!?! Should be over 50K, right? lol ;)

Oh, it will be, it will be....

• @Tritonman said:

@ricksteruk said:

Good stuff! And nice track @DerekBuddemeyer :smile:

I suppose I should be more specific - as each app will probably have it's pros and cons.. What I want to be able to do is feed the app with MIDI - maybe from an electric drum kit or perhaps just a sequencer and get the app to produce a convincing acoustic drum sound.

By that I mean:
    1) tonal variations between hits - possible alternating samples - so a hi hat isn't just the same sample over and over again.. this is where sampled drums usually sounds bad to me.
    2) timing variations - some basic "humanisation" or groove applied to rigid quantised midi to give a bit of life
    3) "choke groups" so open hats don't keep going over a closed hat or pedal hat
    4) multisample layers - not just the same loud hit sample played at different volumes triggered by different MIDI velocities.

Any advice on this would be most appreciated :smile:

• wimwim
    edited April 2017

@Tritonman said:

@ricksteruk said:

Good stuff! And nice track @DerekBuddemeyer :smile:

I suppose I should be more specific - as each app will probably have it's pros and cons.. What I want to be able to do is feed the app with MIDI - maybe from an electric drum kit or perhaps just a sequencer and get the app to produce a convincing acoustic drum sound.

By that I mean:
    1) tonal variations between hits - possible alternating samples - so a hi hat isn't just the same sample over and over again.. this is where sampled drums usually sounds bad to me.
    2) timing variations - some basic "humanisation" or groove applied to rigid quantised midi to give a bit of life
    3) "choke groups" so open hats don't keep going over a closed hat or pedal hat
    4) multisample layers - not just the same loud hit sample played at different volumes triggered by different MIDI velocities.

Any advice on this would be most appreciated :smile:

Drum Perfect Pro sounds like it fits your needs almost perfectly. It has everything you mentioned except choke groups, which are implemented differently. You define one midi note as the pedal control and use the velocity on that note to control the balance between an open and closed hi hat pad. Maximum velocity means that the open hat sounds fully; minimum velocity means closed plays fully. It's damn hard to get used to compared to plain 'ol choke groups, but once you get it, it allows way more realistic and varying sounds.

Drum Session's strength is in the ease of pulling together realistic tracks from its tons of included patterns more than for live feed. Its more for guys like me that couldn't live drum to save their life.

• @wim said:

@Tritonman said:

@ricksteruk said:

Well played. Hilarious!

• ;)

@wim said:

Drum Perfect Pro sounds like it fits your needs almost perfectly. It has everything you mentioned except choke groups, which are implemented differently. You define one midi note as the pedal control and use the velocity on that note to control the balance between an open and closed hi hat pad. Maximum velocity means that the open hat sounds fully; minimum velocity means closed plays fully. It's damn hard to get used to compared to plain 'ol choke groups, but once you get it, it allows way more realistic and varying sounds.

Yeah that does sound a bit odd - I'm trying to wrap my head round how that would work with a pedal on a e drum kit.. perhaps it's one of those things you just need to try out and get used to.

• @ricksteruk: for your information: the upcoming update of DPP will add one "traditional" choke group per instrument (so, 16 per kit), where an instrument event will simply choke the sound of another instrument. Also, in the updated version, the left-handed and right-handed group of samples for each instrument can be mapped to different midi notes, e.g. for the purpose of live-playing via midi-pads. We expect "Upcoming" to be within a month from now.

• Great, @Marinus! Please, add the ability to get velocity on the live pads by positional playing (which already happens in the dual pads), because accelerometer sucks, specially if you don't have a top notch iPad support.

• Drum Session keeps crashing even after reinstall
    Midi in might be screwed up can someone test it with KRFT please?

• @Marinus said:
    @ricksteruk: for your information: the upcoming update of DPP will add one "traditional" choke group per instrument (so, 16 per kit), where an instrument event will simply choke the sound of another instrument. Also, in the updated version, the left-handed and right-handed group of samples for each instrument can be mapped to different midi notes, e.g. for the purpose of live-playing via midi-pads. We expect "Upcoming" to be within a month from now.

Nice! I've come to appreciate the open/close pedal approach for it's flexibility and realism, but it's a lot harder to grasp and takes more time. Being able to quickly set up choke groups will be a great simplification and workflow improvement, and should help make the app more accessible.

Thanks for the good news!

• Reinstalled and set DS to received on All Ports channel art to Omni. The KRFT was able to send midi to DS sounding as a great drum sound module!

• Spoke too soon Drum Session just cut off abruptly and now won't stay open. Will need to reinstall again. Bummer!

• @DerekBuddemeyer there's definitely something going on with Midi in in DS.
    If I enable wifi on my Air 1 midi will abruptly end all sound in DS. I did a test and had KRFT inside AUM with Geo shred and Drum Session all worked nice until I enabled wifi them bam!! Locked up. Disabled

• Maybe you have a loop? Network input and network output both enabled and its coming back on itself?

• I'll double check thanks Wim.

• Drum Session updated with midi clock in and out anyone had a chance to try it out?

• AUMs transport works now with DS!

• edited May 2017

[https://facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/DrumSessionMobile/videos/520288488362220/&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true">](

"

<

iframe src="https://facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https://www.facebook.comt/DrumSessionMobile/videos/520288488362220/&amp;show_text=0&amp;width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></>")

• Anyone know when the iap sound packs is likely to happen?

• @DerekBuddemeyer are anymore loops gonna be available in the future?

• The app crashes on both iPhone and iPad when I try to change the sample that is assigned to a specific pad/key.

When I select a sample from the list and tap "SET", the following appears:
    "assign the selected drum to the pad",
    after which the app crashes.

Is this feature working for others?

• @Extnctn6 said:
    @DerekBuddemeyer are anymore loops gonna be available in the future?

Not heard from him here since May, and nothing for new IAP's that I am aware of which I found surprising .

• It does seem to have gone very quiet for how much it was talked about previously..

It's a great app, I'd of thought they'd be keeping up the pace to keep people's interest and to promote it but maybe they need a break from it which is fair enough. I would imagine releasing some iap's would be very popular though.

I'd also quite like a folder with some really basic loops in it so if your feeling lazy and just want a real quick non genre defined kick snare kick snare or whatever it's nice and easy to find..

• Hey everybody...been a while since I've been on. I've been away from the music scene for a little while since I've been moving, tattooing and getting married! Getting back on track now and I'll be here for any comments or questions. Hope all is well

• @DerekBuddemeyer said:
    Hey everybody...been a while since I've been on. I've been away from the music scene for a little while since I've been moving, tattooing and getting married! Getting back on track now and I'll be here for any comments or questions. Hope all is well

Awesome! Congrats on getting married. I wish I lived closer so I could have you do a few new tats.

• Welcome back bro!
    Been really enjoying your app and there’s a few bugs here and there especially with Ableton Link and Midi sync.

Also the app tends to hang and reboot itself once in a while within AUM. Haven’t tested in standalone, but I hardly use it that way anyways.

Hopefully you can revisit the scrolling of the timeline it’s kind of too sensitive and sometimes messes itself up.

But it’s a massive drum app with endless possibilities! Truly grateful to have on iPhone and iPad.

Will update review on AppStore.

@DerekBuddemeyer said:
    Hey everybody...been a while since I've been on. I've been away from the music scene for a little while since I've been moving, tattooing and getting married! Getting back on track now and I'll be here for any comments or questions. Hope all is well