Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drum Session......It's here!! :) Yay

Comments

• Nathan, beans are commodities. Apps are far from it. ;)

• If this app is at the same level of flexibility of EZDrummer, I'll gladly pay $40 as soon as I can for it, and with a smile, because it's a steal. But not before others do it and share their impressions: I'm not going to be the guinea pig.

Alternatively, the dev could go full IK Multimedia and offer a free demo with the full app as an IAP: that way, we all can try and see if this is the EZDrummer alternative we're all waiting for.

• Yeah, that's an endless one. I buy a particular Farmhouse Red Relish for almost seven bucks a jar when there are a number of similar products available for less than half that....but I love what I love and to me it's easily worth every extra penny and having enjoyed the depth of flavor and quality would never now put a thinner pale version on my plate...

• Heinz have been selling expensive beans for generations.

• It's a promising app (and Derek's samples are excellent and I've used them here and there for pet projects). But DrumPerfect (the original one) was another app everyone told me was terrific, and I sunk $15 into it without ever having been able to get meaningful use out of it with my iPad2 (which was only two generations behind at the time DP was released). So, unless I upgrade, there's little point to me checking it out.

• @Fruitbat1919

Yer post made me LMAO.......

He spent 3 years developing it. I agree @Nathan, there are some really great drum apps out their for far cheaper prices. Who knows, maybe they spent 5 years making their apps.

I've said it in other threads. I'm for developer's charging what ever they need to, to keep the app(s) alive and ticking.
    People will decide if the app price is worth a purchase to them. I used to think the other way around, holy shishkabob, $50.00 for this app!?!?! $20.00 for this one!?!?! I think it's sad and I don't know, Ridiculous that such professional music software has been pigeon hold into the cheap or free apps. How can it be sustainable?

If businesses don't charge for things, how do they stay in buss.? My son is 8, jsut getting into a little bit of coding. Holy hell does it take a long time to do it.

• @Nathan said:

@Rafael_laurenti said:
    If it turns out to be an app as professional as EZDrummer, with different articulations, mic settings and a good mixer, this pricetag is a bargain

It's all relative, though, isn't it? When a developer from the desktop world makes inroad to IOS music, this kind of price seems - to them - like a steal. But, it's up against other apps that are also fantastic, yet a quarter of the price. Okay, some IOS music makers will still find this attractive, and still think it's a superior product worth every penny. But I'd bet that a lot more look at the price tag and instantly think it's out of their range.

Yes, I agree that it starts to go out of range for the ios world, but the thing is, the hardware is catching up, and if there is a 'price ceiling' for an app that has potential to be a 'pro' app, then we will never have pro audio apps that are 100% reliable, because the developer won't earn enough to keep squashing bugs and perfecting the app

• @Rafael_laurenti said:

@Nathan said:

@Rafael_laurenti said:
    If it turns out to be an app as professional as EZDrummer, with different articulations, mic settings and a good mixer, this pricetag is a bargain

It's all relative, though, isn't it? When a developer from the desktop world makes inroad to IOS music, this kind of price seems - to them - like a steal. But, it's up against other apps that are also fantastic, yet a quarter of the price. Okay, some IOS music makers will still find this attractive, and still think it's a superior product worth every penny. But I'd bet that a lot more look at the price tag and instantly think it's out of their range.

Yes, I agree that it starts to go out of range for the ios world, but the thing is, the hardware is catching up, and if there is a 'price ceiling' for an app that has potential to be a 'pro' app, then we will never have pro audio apps that are 100% reliable, because the developer won't earn enough to keep squashing bugs and perfecting the app

Fantastic points @Rafael_laurenti

That's what I wanted to say, but you were much more eloquent with yer post :)

• @Nathan.

From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodity:

"The term commodity is specifically used for an economic good or service when the demand for it has no qualitative differentiation across a market.[3]** In other words, a commodity good or service has full or partial but substantial fungibility; that is, the market treats its instances as equivalent or nearly so with no regard to who produced them."**

Thus, coffee is a commodity, while Drum Perfect Pro is not. Windows PC towers are commodities, but an iMac? Never! iPhones are not either, while "Android Smartphones" are definitely so. Resorting to a very condensed dictionary meaning, pretending the real world meaning doesn't exist is a dirty rhetorical trick. :p

• @Nathan said:

@High5denied said:

How can it be sustainable?

Well, the App Store alone set new records last year. So somebody is making a few quid from reasonable prices. It can't just be profit for Apple, or no one would bother making any apps at all.

https://apple.com/pr/library/2015/01/08App-Store-Rings-in-2015-with-New-Records.html

Sure, that is without argument. I remember a post from sebastian, a while ago where he mentioned this. Most music app developers are not making millions off of their apps. I mean/meant how will music app developers keep their apps sustainable. I have no doubt games and the like will continue to thrive.

See @Rafael_laurenti post for a more accurate statement on what I mean.

• There are two kinds of markets on the app store: the mass market, and niche markets.

Mass-market apps can make millions because they have very wide appeal. Most music apps are niche apps, and generally niche apps cater to smaller markets. That means that they sell in modest numbers, and reducing their price isn't going to substantially increase their sales. There's obviously a sweet-spot price-wise in any market, but the reality is that very few music app developers can actually make a living from their apps, which is why many apps get abandoned.

A boutique retailer cannot compete with a supermarket on price. So generally they have to compete on other terms, such as customer service. This is why smaller devs are much more responsive to their customers than bigger ones.

• @High5denied said:

I mean/meant how will music app developers keep their apps sustainable.

What do you mean by sustainable? Updated for new OSes?

• @richardyot said:
    There are two kinds of markets on the app store: the mass market, and niche markets.

Mass-market apps can make millions because they have very wide appeal. Most music apps are niche apps, and generally niche apps cater to smaller markets. That means that they sell in modest numbers, and reducing their price isn't going to substantially increase their sales. There's obviously a sweet-spot price-wise in any market, but the reality is that very few music app developers can actually make a living from their apps, which is why many apps get abandoned.

A boutique retailer cannot compete with a supermarket on price. So generally they have to compete on other terms, such as customer service. This is why smaller devs are much more responsive to their customers than bigger ones.

Very very well said man! This is the reason I changed my view/opinion on what I am willing to save up for and pay for an app. I want the developers to keep updating, not have my favorite apps abandoned.

• @AudioGus said:

@High5denied said:

I mean/meant how will music app developers keep their apps sustainable.

What do you mean by sustainable? Updated for new OSes?

Wasn't thinking that, but yes. If a developer isn't able to get some return on an app they developed, Haven't we seen where it is abandoned, or not updated for new AB SDK, IAA, ios. I don't blame a developer, if there is no return, I wouldn't keep updating and taking the time to do so. I'm not going to work for free at the Medical Facility I work at.

I was thinking more along the lines of: able to be maintained at a certain rate or level.

I may not have used the correct wording. Maybe I should have said, how will the music app market and development remain sustainable? Not that new apps won't be made and released, but, how many will make it past a year or two? I hope to be using Bias Fx and Auria, and so many more apps a couple of ipad generations away from here.

Clear as mud now? Ya, I don't quite understand what I'm getting at either. lol.....

I can't wait to check out Drum-Session. Derek's kits are great sounding, and fit so well in his songs. If this app can help me achieve what he does, I'll pay $40.00 for it fer sure.

• @High5denied said:

Clear as mud now? Ya, I don't quite understand what I'm getting at either. lol.....

Haha, well I think the answer may be somewhat as mercurial as the question and relate to the words of the great bard and poet Huey Lewis. The Power Of Love... that is what I imagine powers a lot of this music app momentum at the moment. Support the devs with coin but also with love. Share with them your creations, ideas, excitement and optimism. That is what they are likely running on and it is contagious. They are more like a fellow band or artist than the manufacturer of the tour bus.

• @Nathan said:

@High5denied said:
    I want the developers to keep updating, not have my favorite apps abandoned.

Me too! Which is why I'm at 200+ music apps and on-going. Most of them paid apps, many at rates considered well above standard. But, if all of these apps were to quadruple in price, even if they were absolutely brilliant and worth every penny, economic reality would mean I'd buy about a quarter. Good for those developers, but possibly terrible for the others who had done nothing wrong.

Good and valid points.

• edited March 2016

Overall music devs have had far more of my money with current pricing than they would have with more expensive prices.
    I'm quite happy buying a half dozen apps at £3 each, but ask me to spend £18 on one and I think about it much longer.
    Having said that I have most of the more expensive ones too (pesky appaholicism)

• edited March 2016

For acoustic drums, I'm still looking for something more from the app world. I'm kind of liking Drum Perfect Pro right now, but found the first one unusable as I'm a complete idiot when it comes to programming these things. Well, maybe not just when it comes to programming these things.

If Drum Session looks like it's going to make the drums in my recordings significantly better with less fiddling, I'll gladly drop the $40. I want it to be fantastic.

• edited March 2016

@supanorton said:
    For acoustic drums, I'm still looking for something more from the app world. I'm kind of liking Drum Perfect Pro right now, but found the first one unusable as I'm a complete idiot when it comes to programming these things. Well, maybe not just when it comes to programming these things.

If Drum Session looks like it's going to make the drums in my recordings significantly better with less fiddling, I'll gladly drop the $40. I want it to be fantastic.

This, @supanorton.

I endured Drum Perfect "not pro" because of the results with it were unmatched on iOS, despite the terrible interface that I had to use by the way, because at the time I had only Auria 1.x, which as we know, didn't have MIDI. Here's a song made using DP:

Then I bought Drum Perfect The Pro as soon as it was out. But essentially it had the same flaws. The more immediate improvement, the pads, are unusable for me because they rely for velocity on the iPad's accelerometer, which depends on a stand to give minimally trustworthy results. So I bought it mostly for the new kits, which are very good. The game changer was Auria Pro: now I could mostly avoid programming using DP/DPP tedious interface and control it with the much more familiar and intuitive Piano Roll.

Regardless of the interface, DDP could be our EZDrummer equivalent if it had 1) a proper mixer with overheads and ambience faders 2) proper positional velocity pads or, even better, the Garageband style touch drums and 3) perhaps the most important thing, the ability of sending MIDI data, so it writes on AP's sequencer: it's a shame it doesn't do it, since DrumJam, which has far less resources, have this ability. By the way, I made this one using DrumJam and AP:

Therefore, I'll repeat: I'll pay the $40 dollars for this new app, as long as I'm sure it has the mixer, positional velocity pads and, specially, the ability of sending MIDI data. Otherwise, no deal. If it also has a good selection of drum loops organized by style, like EZDrummer, even better. But the lack of the previously cited features, specially the last two of them, would be a deal breaker for me. Specially at this price point.

• @pichi said:
    If it comes close to EZ/Superior then it will be worth it. DP hasn't worked out for me and other drum apps lack in range. 1GB is not the same as the 20GB included in my old Drums From Hell vst but its a start.

At first I thought the app was too small for the promised performance, unless it came with no preloaded libraries. Then I remembered that most 20GB Superior/EZ libraries are this huge because they are kind of library bundles, including multiple instrument replacements and tool settings.

The real individual drum kit sizes were the amount EZD and SD loaded in the RAM (there was a meter for it in both plug ins): EZDrummer 1.x wouldn't load anything bigger than 257 MB at any given time, and the biggest libraries for SD2 wouldn't break the 1GB mark. So yes, 1GB is decent as long as the actual loaded drum kit is north of 250MB, but that would mean less options than the bigger EZX/SDX libraries (not really a deal breaker, and perhaps there will be plenty of IAPs for just that).

• @theconnactic said:

@pichi said:
    If it comes close to EZ/Superior then it will be worth it. DP hasn't worked out for me and other drum apps lack in range. 1GB is not the same as the 20GB included in my old Drums From Hell vst but its a start.

At first I thought the app was too small for the promised performance, unless it came with no preloaded libraries. Then I remembered that most 20GB Superior/EZ libraries are this huge because they are kind of library bundles, including multiple instrument replacements and tool settings.

The real individual drum kit sizes were the amount EZD and SD loaded in the RAM (there was a meter for it in both plug ins): EZDrummer 1.x wouldn't load anything bigger than 257 MB at any given time, and the biggest libraries for SD2 wouldn't break the 1GB mark. So yes, 1GB is decent as long as the actual loaded drum kit is north of 250MB, but that would mean less options than the bigger EZX/SDX libraries (not really a deal breaker, and perhaps there will be plenty of IAPs for just that).

Good point. I'd be happy with a few exceptional kits and IAPs for extras.

• I'm hoping for it to be released sooner rather than latter.

• I'm hoping for it to be released later rather than sooner. No money left :weary:

• P.S.: any definite time frame?

• last week, Derek had a Guesstimate of aprox. 2-3 months.

• edited September 2016

From the big man himself today on FB!

SUPER EXCITED!!!! As some of you may or may not know...I've been developing a drum app for the last few years with the help of the guys at "The Blue Mangoo" (iFretless apps) and we are looking to release next month!!! So...where's all my drummer and NON-Drummer friends who are armed with an iPad who'd like to beta test?
    This is an app that will provide musicians with no drum skills to construct studio quality...professional tracks in just minutes. Several kits, and genres EQ'd and mic'd to perfection. Great for drag and drop creation...or hook up to a midi keyboard and play live or record your own tracks with full velocity control. Also looking to integrate to electric sets for seamless and smooth setup and sound for live gigs

• @High5denied said:
    Nothing like this in the iOS world of drumming.

Well there is this being developed https://www.positivegrid.com/drumapp/

• @High5denied said:
    From the big man himself today on FB!

SUPER EXCITED!!!! As some of you may or may not know...I've been developing a drum app for the last few years with the help of the guys at "The Blue Mangoo" (iFretless apps) and we are looking to release next month!!! So...where's all my drummer and NON-Drummer friends who are armed with an iPad who'd like to beta test?
    This is an app that will provide musicians with no drum skills to construct studio quality...professional tracks in just minutes. Several kits, and genres EQ'd and mic'd to perfection. Great for drag and drop creation...or hook up to a midi keyboard and play live or record your own tracks with full velocity control. Also looking to integrate to electric sets for seamless and smooth setup and sound for live gigs

Awesome! Signed up for testing. If he delivers, this will be another great tool in the jamming/production toolkit.