Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Composing in AUM (share tips and techniques, learn new ideas)

13»

Comments

• @anickt said:
    The in a> @lukesleepwalker said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@anickt said:

@BiancaNeve said:
    So in words of one syllable or less how do I record a beat perfect loop?

Update

That's 2 syllables, and the reason I asked the question.

You said "words" so here you go: up date.

the in app documentation is well written. I think he uses multi-syllable words though. ;)

how do you set the loop points. I did update, but I am not seeing it?

• @eross said:

@anickt said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@anickt said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Update

the in app documentation is well written. I think he uses multi-syllable words though. ;)

When you start recording it wait for the next sync boundary before starting (if it was already rolling when you tap record), and same when you tap rec to stop recording. The result is a recording that's exactly the duration of a multiple of the sync quantum (defaults to 1 bar). You can then load that loop in a FilePlayer node in AUM, or send it to Sector, etc..

• @j_liljedahl said:

@eross said:

@anickt said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@anickt said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Update

When you start recording it wait for the next sync boundary before starting (if it was already rolling when you tap record), and same when you tap rec to stop recording. The result is a recording that's exactly the duration of a multiple of the sync quantum (defaults to 1 bar). You can then load that loop in a FilePlayer node in AUM, or send it to Sector, etc..

cool thanks

• How do you people get around the lack of IAA logo and transport in apps?

I tried to record a loop from Elastic drums and to get back to AUM I double push home button, missed the length of recording etc...PITA, no?

Yet I could swear that before last update of ED there was the IAA on top of the tool logo.
    Now it's gone
    ....now I really appreciate apps that do....iElectribe, Egoist, all ape soft, (they should make a drum machine)...etc
    Is there an easier way to switch between apps?

• edited March 2016

Threadhop

• how do you set the loop points. I did update, but I am not seeing it?

@j_liljedahl said:

Haven't gotten to doing this yet, and am sure it might be straightforward, it's certainly a huge plus. I don't find your explanation (on paper :)) to be that obvious, but no doubt it will be. However, if you were, you know, thinking about doing the odd video, might be a worthy topic. Quick thirty seconds etc...

• Yes, I'm hoping to find the time soon to make some videos!

• @soundklinik said:
    How do you people get around the lack of IAA logo and transport in apps?

I tried to record a loop from Elastic drums and to get back to AUM I double push home button, missed the length of recording etc...PITA, no?

Yet I could swear that before last update of ED there was the IAA on top of the tool logo.
    Now it's gone

Check if you have Link enabled in Elastic Drums. If you're using link, the IAA transport controls won't be displayed

• Sync recording means the record button is in sync with the beat, and if the transport is stopped then it acts as the play button as well.

• @j_liljedahl said:
    Yes, I'm hoping to find the time soon to make some videos!

That would be outstanding. I'm one of the few that have not turned the corner yet with AUM. I know it's coming but I just need something to give me a shove. I wager that many would pay for tutorials from the dev. I know I would.

• @gsm909 said:
    Check if you have Link enabled in Elastic Drums. If you're using link, the IAA transport controls won't be displayed

Not there for me...did you try since last update?..(talking about Link in ED, right?)
    Thanks for replying anyway ...
    But just redownloaded iMaschine that has IAA

• @soundklinik said:

@gsm909 said:

Not there for me...did you try since last update?..(talking about Link in ED, right?)
    Thanks for replying anyway ...
    But just redownloaded iMaschine that has IAA

Latest version, with Link disabled in ED settings, loaded into AUM, the IAA transport controls are displayed in ED

• Thanks @gsm909, got it, I had to start in different order.
    It's there alright.

• @soundklinik said:
    Thanks @gsm909, got it, I had to start in different order.
    It's there alright.

Curious what order worked? Can you reproduce the combo that made it not appear? This could be informative for others, might even be something to pass on to the dev to make it easier for us not to fall into this trap :)

• @1P18 said:
    A pretty simple recording technique, borrowed and tweaked from yesteryear;

Record one track at a time, building the entire song one track on top of another.

Example:

Record track A. Load A in the File Player. Play A while recording track B. Etc.

There are a number of variation as to what you can do there, like combine A and B into a Master, or leave them separate.

Main idea here is you get to focus on playing. No need for switching apps multiple times mid song.

Same idea for applying effects to each track, as you can "play" over one or all of the tracks with an effects app. Again, a lot of variation can be had.

Building on this technique, a way to stitch together phrases:

Say for example you have two different phrases on track B, done in two different takes, and so have two different files. You may want to combine them before moving on to track C. You can load track A and loop it, to have something playing while you combine the two phrases on track B. You then set up the two B track files on separate mixer channels, set them to play in sync and unlooped, route them to a bus channel, and set that bus channel to record.

From there set every channel to start playing upon record, except for the channel with the second phrase (B2 we'll call it) on track B. Hit record, A and B1 will start playing, with B1 being recorded. When B1 nears it's end, tap B2 to play, and so on to the end of the recording. Using sync will help everything be crisp and clean, though it gets tricky with big files.

Hopefully that all makes sense in context. As with everything in this technique a lot of variation can be had (audio fades, silence between the two phrases, effects, etc).

• Hello,
    I've tried my best to understand how these apps work, and work together, BUT the truth is I'm totally overwhelmed! Can anyone offer some basic advice to a noob about how I can record both midi and audio using AUM, Module, Sessionband, Drum Perfect, and Sampletank? Do I really need Auria or Cubasis to make all this work?
    Thanks so much!

• @drjazz930 said:
    Hello,
    I've tried my best to understand how these apps work, and work together, BUT the truth is I'm totally overwhelmed! Can anyone offer some basic advice to a noob about how I can record both midi and audio using AUM, Module, Sessionband, Drum Perfect, and Sampletank? Do I really need Auria or Cubasis to make all this work?
    Thanks so much!

AUM does not record MIDI at all so you'd need an app capable of recording MIDI or a DAW with MIDI recording functionality.

• @j_liljedahl said:
    Ableton Link has no start/stop.

Sorry, I don't get it because in Audiobus, or AudioRemote, you have a master start/stop button, for at least everything connected on the same iPad...
    Audiobus connected to AUM, into AUM, the start/stop is also fully functional. (if apps are nicely coded...)
    Did you mean that start/stop is not a part of Link protocol ? But it's a functionality integrated into AB,AR,AUM ?
    Thanks for clarifying. :)

• It could easily depend upon what is meant by ‘start’. Does it mean “make sound come out instead of the silence which currently reigns”, or does it mean “make sound come out starting at the beginning of the tune and make everthing else play along in concert from the beginning of said aria also”?

• I love Aum, an essential app up there with Audioshare. I have a bunch of saved setups ('Ambient with drums', 'Weirdcore', 'Bit Human League-ish' etc.) allowing instant recall of the apps used for each. I then just jam about, record everything, and then use the bits in Auria, Blocs etc. Useful tips in this thread though, so I'm going to have a read and expand my skills with it.

• This is one of the more useful threads I've stumbled upon, and not only in this forum. Thanks to all for sharing their knowledge :)

• i made a video showing how to use AUM :

• @MonzoPro said:
    I love Aum, an essential app up there with Audioshare. I have a bunch of saved setups ('Ambient with drums', 'Weirdcore', 'Bit Human League-ish' etc.) allowing instant recall of the apps used for each. I then just jam about, record everything, and then use the bits in Auria, Blocs etc. Useful tips in this thread though, so I'm going to have a read and expand my skills with it.

Excellent. So how do you go about saving these setups/states. Presumably you're operating AUM inside AB? What happens next?
    Thanks, Ben

• edited August 2016

@Ben said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I love Aum, an essential app up there with Audioshare. I have a bunch of saved setups ('Ambient with drums', 'Weirdcore', 'Bit Human League-ish' etc.) allowing instant recall of the apps used for each. I then just jam about, record everything, and then use the bits in Auria, Blocs etc. Useful tips in this thread though, so I'm going to have a read and expand my skills with it.

Excellent. So how do you go about saving these setups/states. Presumably you're operating AUM inside AB? What happens next?
    Thanks, Ben

I don't use it with Audiobus, so it only saves the routing setup, and loads the apps, so I just click the save session option and load them in that way. If you wanted state saving then going via Audiobus would do this.

I'm using it in a fairly basic way, but loading sessions is a real time saver.

• At last @rhcball someone makes a video that I can understand! Wish more video producers had your gift for clear explanations.

• @crony said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    Ableton Link has no start/stop.

Sorry, I don't get it because in Audiobus, or AudioRemote, you have a master start/stop button, for at least everything connected on the same iPad...
    Audiobus connected to AUM, into AUM, the start/stop is also fully functional. (if apps are nicely coded...)
    Did you mean that start/stop is not a part of Link protocol ? But it's a functionality integrated into AB,AR,AUM ?
    Thanks for clarifying. :)

Exactly. That start/stop button is part of Audiobus only, and has nothing to do with Link, or Inter-App Audio.