Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Composing in AUM (share tips and techniques, learn new ideas)

Comments

• edited March 2016

@aaronpc said:
    Anyone tried running their setup in Low Power Mode to see if it somehow shuffles priorities in a way that removes the crackle? Counterintuitive, I know, but stranger things have happened.

@aaronpc in the https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/12452/cubasis-or-modstep#latest thread @mschenkel.it is describing a related phenomenon;

@richardyot @Munibeast @kaikoo regarding looping, in anticipation of fugue machine's 4d, including the midiflow channel select preset, I saved templates in audiobus, auria and aum, together with the ever awesome firo & thumbjam, I tried to construct a looping environment according to some of the ideas mentioned:

• @crzycrs

^^^^^^^^^^^^^-----------------That looks quite impressive, and complicated, and....No matter what I try to comprehend in my little brain, I can't put together what you have going on up there?

I have to think, if I tried that with my Air 1, not only would it explode, but my head probably would too........ :o

Maybe....... If I didn't have that glass of wine...........Then I could see it clearly?

• At some point someone's going to have to start offering an iOS Routing Certification program. I'm going to check Stackskills. brb

• edited March 2016

Agree :wink:

In my attempts for an integrated looping environment, these were the steps involved:

Audiobus, Aum, Auria Pro, Thumbjam, Firo, Fugue Machine, Loopy HD

• Open Audiobus, launch Aum in the output.
      In Aum create a channel and for input select Auria Pro Sub 1.
      In Auria create a new project, add a midi track, tap the red puck to arm,
      and below tap output and select Subgroup 1.

• Back in Audiobus create a new row, and for input select Aum Port 1.
      for output Loopy HD. Now back in Aum on it's channel output select
      Loopy too. Create another channel, again add Loopy in the Output,
      and for input select Auria Pro Sub 2.

• Create a third channel in Aum, select Loopy HD (Main Output) for input
      mute and rec. arm it. In Audiobus create a third row, with Auria Pro
      for Output, and Aum Port 2 for input, go to Auria and in the AB channel
      select Subgroup 2 as output.

• Back in Audiobus insert Thumbjam as input in the first row, in Aum
      a fourth channel with Thumbjam has been created, select Auria Pro for
      it's output. In Audiobus next to Thumbjam add Firo and Fugue Machine,
      delete their channels in Aum.

• Create an empty midi track in Auria, arm it, tap FX and select 'all' in the
      Input port. Open Aum Keyboard, tap the wrench and select Auria Pro
      as destination.

Open Aum Midi Route, add Fiddlewax MIDI Source and Fugue Machine
      MIDI Out to the orange arrow going to Auria. Do the same down in the
      Thumbjam row (open Thumbjam to activate).

In case you go the midiflow route, start it's preset, and in Aum's Midi
      Routing point the Keyboard and the other two to MF1, as well as to
      Thumbjam, so you can select midi channels in Fugue Machine and Firo.

• Save your session in Audiobus, Aum and Auria.

As for the workflow, in Aum channel 1 and 2 you have Auria's piano and Thumbjam sent to Loopy, meaning when you press record in Loopy you need to have the third channel muted, which is the main return. To record Loopy loops in Aum, and overdub, unmute this channel and mute the first two. All midi gets recorded in Auria Pro as well.

http://preset.audiob.us/btiSu6LojxRbZ99
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xtrqtln04f4g8sa/Looping2.aumproj?dl=0

• @mschenkel.it said:

@Korakios said:
    I route synths and rhythm staff on AB (to take advantage of state saving) and all the mixing and fx is within AUM . But can't record any serious live jamming cause of crackling when switching apps .

Same but for crackling

yeah not getting any crackling here , just big love for this amazing app!

• I do sometimes get crackling when AUM is in the background. It seems to have improved after moving from ios 9.1 to 9.2.1 but it still happens sometimes. . If I reboot that seems to help.

• @crzycrs said:
    Agree :wink:

In my attempts for an integrated looping environment, these were the steps involved:

Audiobus, Aum, Auria Pro, Thumbjam, Firo, Fugue Machine, Loopy HD

• Open Audiobus, launch Aum in the output.
      In Aum create a channel and for input select Auria Pro Sub 1.
      In Auria create a new project, add a midi track, tap the red puck to arm,
      and below tap output and select Subgroup 1.

• Back in Audiobus create a new row, and for input select Aum Port 1.
      for output Loopy HD. Now back in Aum on it's channel output select
      Loopy too. Create another channel, again add Loopy in the Output,
      and for input select Auria Pro Sub 2.

• Create a third channel in Aum, select Loopy HD (Main Output) for input
      mute and rec. arm it. In Audiobus create a third row, with Auria Pro
      for Output, and Aum Port 2 for input, go to Auria and in the AB channel
      select Subgroup 2 as output.

• Back in Audiobus insert Thumbjam as input in the first row, in Aum
      a fourth channel with Thumbjam has been created, select Auria Pro for
      it's output. In Audiobus next to Thumbjam add Firo and Fugue Machine,
      delete their channels in Aum.

• Create an empty midi track in Auria, arm it, tap FX and select 'all' in the
      Input port. Open Aum Keyboard, tap the wrench and select Auria Pro
      as destination.

Open Aum Midi Route, add Fiddlewax MIDI Source and Fugue Machine
      MIDI Out to the orange arrow going to Auria. Do the same down in the
      Thumbjam row (open Thumbjam to activate).

In case you go the midiflow route, start it's preset, and in Aum's Midi
      Routing point the Keyboard and the other two to MF1, as well as to
      Thumbjam, so you can select midi channels in Fugue Machine and Firo.

• Save your session in Audiobus, Aum and Auria.

As for the workflow, in Aum channel 1 and 2 you have Auria's piano and Thumbjam sent to Loopy, meaning when you press record in Loopy you need to have the third channel muted, which is the main return. To record Loopy loops in Aum, and overdub, unmute this channel and mute the first two. All midi gets recorded in Auria Pro as well.

http://preset.audiob.us/btiSu6LojxRbZ99
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xtrqtln04f4g8sa/Looping2.aumproj?dl=0

Very impressive. A little too complex for my everyday use, but I'm sure many folks will benefit from your effort.

• AUM > @carol said:

@mschenkel.it said:

@Korakios said:
    I route synths and rhythm staff on AB (to take advantage of state saving) and all the mixing and fx is within AUM . But can't record any serious live jamming cause of crackling when switching apps .

Same but for crackling

Never said I get crackling in AUM, only when switching apps which is iOS limitation and nothing to do with AUM. I edited the post. In fact AUM is super light and the build in fx tools really useful .

• @Korakios said:
    AUM > @carol said:

@mschenkel.it said:

@Korakios said:

Same but for crackling

Never said I get crackling in AUM, only when switching apps which is iOS limitation and nothing to do with AUM. I edited the post. In fact AUM is super light and the build in fx tools really useful .

K

• Some of the things coming in the next update: multiple AU extension windows can be open at the same time. And the much needed MIDI channel selection/filter!

• edited March 2016

Edit: midi channel selection coming ^^^
    @JohnnyGoodyear thanks, kind of you (:
    I hope, it's only a sketch, but sort of modular; without midiflow, if you have a keyboard plugged in, connect it to 'keyboard' in Aum's midi routing panel, the top is ins and on the side it's outs. ;]

• @j_liljedahl said:
    Some of the things coming in the next update: multiple AU extension windows can be open at the same time. And the much needed MIDI channel selection/filter!

I have a few use case questions...

I want to use AUM with MusicIO and feed live audio from my ipad to my macbook.

1/ Would i be able to select each AUM output containing IAA apps such as iSpark, Nave and Gadget and feed each one to separate tracks in Ableton Live on my macbook via Music IO or Studiomux?

2/ Also could i use AUM to start iSpark using ableton link even though its connected via IAA within the above setup?

• @DaveMagoo said:

I want to use AUM with MusicIO and feed live audio from my ipad to my macbook.

1/ Would i be able to select each AUM output containing IAA apps such as iSpark, Nave and Gadget and feed each one to separate tracks in Ableton Live on my macbook via Music IO or Studiomux?

I don't have MusicIO, but in Studiomux you'd just select the AUM ports as "instruments" in the Studiomux apps, then output to these IAA ports in AUM. There's 4 such ports in AUM.

I haven't tried this myself yet, because I recently installed Studiomux and haven't restarted my laptop since then, which seems to be needed to get the server-side rolling on the laptop.

2/ Also could i use AUM to start iSpark using ableton link even though its connected via IAA within the above setup?

Ableton Link has no start/stop. There's no reason to sync iSpark using Link if you're hosting it in AUM, if iSpark supports IAA sync (which I think it does?). Just let it sync to AUM's host sync, and enable Link in AUM.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@DaveMagoo said:

Ableton Link has no start/stop. There's no reason to sync iSpark using Link if you're hosting it in AUM, if iSpark supports IAA sync (which I think it does?). Just let it sync to AUM's host sync, and enable Link in AUM.

Thanks for the info, in terms of the above....just so i am clear.....if i have Ableton playing and connected to AUM via Link and i press play on AUM (with iSpark connected and setup) will this start iSpark as if it would if it were connected by Link (ie: wait until the next bar and come in on the next down beat)?

• I recently tried MusicIO with AUM and it works

• Another thing that works great for jamming is in AUM open Egoist in track 1 and B-16 in track 2.

Point Egoist into B-16 and it will trigger on midi channel 1 in B-16....(or any other app)
    Egoist sends MIDI out from its BASS only.

BTW, all Sugar Bytes FX work in AUM

• @DaveMagoo said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@DaveMagoo said:

Thanks for the info, in terms of the above....just so i am clear.....if i have Ableton playing and connected to AUM via Link and i press play on AUM (with iSpark connected and setup) will this start iSpark as if it would if it were connected by Link (ie: wait until the next bar and come in on the next down beat)?

Yes, it should. I don't have iSpark so can't test..

• edited March 2016

Just tried synth layering, with Mitosynth and Animoog, pretty cool. Never really dealt with synth layering before on iOS, just because MIDI can be so hit and miss. The advantage in AUM is that you can easy adjust volume levels while using the in app keyboard, as opposed to switching back and forth between apps a million times.

As for composing with this setup you can record the output and then create a sample based instrument for easy use in a sampler, recording a custom scale or even some phrases.

Bottom line is with all it's tools AUM helps bridge the gap a bit for this type of thing, and makes things a little easier.

• You can also use the synth layering technique to create sample based instruments that sound good together. Just record each synth's channel to it's own file, chop the files in Audioshare (or elsewhere), and dump the samples into a sampler.

One example:

Use this layering technique, record a custom scale of 8 notes for each synth and chop the two files, assign each resulting sample to a pad in Nanostudio (or some other 16 pad sampler) and you've got a multi sample instrument.

Split that instrument in two and when Fugue Machine gets multi channel MIDI out you can send it to the two instruments.

• A pretty simple recording technique, borrowed and tweaked from yesteryear;

Record one track at a time, building the entire song one track on top of another.

Example:

Record track A. Load A in the File Player. Play A while recording track B. Etc.

There are a number of variation as to what you can do there, like combine A and B into a Master, or leave them separate.

Main idea here is you get to focus on playing. No need for switching apps multiple times mid song.

Same idea for applying effects to each track, as you can "play" over one or all of the tracks with an effects app. Again, a lot of variation can be had.

• @1P18 said:
    A pretty simple recording technique, borrowed and tweaked from yesteryear;

Record one track at a time, building the entire song one track on top of another.

Example:

There are a number of variation as to what you can do there, like combine A and B into a Master, or leave them separate.

Main idea here is you get to focus on playing. No need for switching apps multiple times mid song.

Same idea for applying effects to each track, as you can "play" over one or all of the tracks with an effects app. Again, a lot of variation can be had.

This exactly how I'm using it. Kept catching myself thinking 'well, why not do the same thing in Auria?', but it's the fluidity that this environment offers. Good stuff.

• @1P18 said:

Example:

Yep, just like I used to do with my analogue mixing console and a multichannel tape recorder! :)

• edited March 2016

@JohnnyGoodyear This exactly how I'm using it. Kept catching myself thinking 'well, why not do the same thing in Auria?', but it's the fluidity that this environment offers. Good stuff.

Aum is Auria on iPhone ...

• @j_liljedahl said:

@1P18 said:

Example:

Yep, just like I used to do with my analogue mixing console and a multichannel tape recorder! :)

Same here! Like the old Portastudio but much more flexible.

ISpark syncs and stop/starts nicely but it's instant. Doesn't wait for sync quantum. Still, of all the apps I've tried it seem the most reliable. Modrum/Bassline syncs well but you can't start/stop from within AUM. Then you have to use AB Remote. It can get complicated because the way you stop/start apps is not consistent. That consistency between apps for basic functions (like how they handle MIDI) would be nice and harken back to one of the strengths of hardware. I honestly never had problems with MIDI sync/control in my somewhat complicated hardware setup. Which is long gone... :o

• So in words of one syllable or less how do I record a beat perfect loop?

• @BiancaNeve said:
    So in words of one syllable or less how do I record a beat perfect loop?

Update

• @anickt said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Update

That's 2 syllables, and the reason I asked the question.

• @BiancaNeve said:

@anickt said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Update

You said "words" so here you go: up date.

• The in a> @lukesleepwalker said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@anickt said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Update

You said "words" so here you go: up date.

the in app documentation is well written. I think he uses multi-syllable words though. ;)

• I think of AUM as mainstage for iPad. Except, all the plugins and instruments must be bought separately. I hope more devs will start updating their apps to be both standalone and AU compatible, like the recent ip1.

That's when the real fun will start!