Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Blamsoft Viking Synth (AU) released today!

I've always been a huge fan of Blamsoft and a fan of Viking since it was released as a RE for Reason. Now we have all the power of a Moog Voyager emulation available as an AU.

Viking Synth by Blamsoft, Inc.
https://appsto.re/us/CE_Rab.i

Comments

• edited February 2016

Thanks @Rich303
    A good day for synthgeeks like myself

• Just what I needed, a very flexible mono-synth indeed!

• looks sweet. User manual has a list of MIDI cc parameters. Does anyone know if these apply to the iOS version as well? Or if it has MIDI learn?

• edited February 2016

Had to get this, sounds great in AUM and yes midi learnable :)

Anyone have an idea how to save presets when in AUM (other than saving a session)?

• @Carnbot said:
    ... and yes midi learnable :)

Thanks so much. very very nice

• @Flo26 said:
    synths,synths synths again.i do really appreciat them ,but it turns boring..

Never boring for me... And beside that, it's an emulation of the Moog Voyager. I've been wanting something like this for a long time on iOS. The RE for Reason has been around for a while and I love it. But it's so much more fun on a touch screen and as an AU. :)

• Viking works perfectly with AUM...

Now here's the 'showstopper'. I guess it's AU-Host related?

When Viking is loaded into AUM there's a nice list of preset-patches but when loading Viking in to midiSTEPs, Cubasis or GarageBand the 'Presets' are no where to be found?!

I don't have many AU-Hosts, only midiSTEPs, GarageBand, Cubasis and AUM.

So the big question is, how do MOD STEP, and MTS handle AU-Presets?(Particularly Blamsoft VIking).

The AU-Preset management seems to be a hit and miss.
    iSEM has it's own way to handle presets in the UI
    KQ MiniSynth has 128 'Auto-Save' session-slots that can be selected on load.

Maybe Blamsoft Viking relies on the 'Host' for preset-handling?

I'm really puzzled about this and would love to have some clarification on this issue.
    (Before I start to drag in developers into this 'issue' I'd love to know what main cause is).

• Strange, In AUM there's preset selection on the top of the AU box, but in MTS there's no where to select an AU preset unless from in the AU itself and I can't see anywhere in the Viking AU UI where you can select a preset unless I'm missing it.....

• edited February 2016

@Carnbot said:

Anyone have an idea how to save presets when in AUM (other than saving a session)?

I haven't had a chance to buy AUM. But I'll look into that this afternoon when I buy it. Andrew from Blamsoft highly recommends using Viking with AUM due to there being more flexibility with AUs.

• From the Viking Release Notes:

Note that Cubasis and MTS do not currently support Audio Unit presets. Presets work perfectly with GarageBand and AUM.

• @yowza said:
    From the Viking Release Notes:

Note that Cubasis and MTS do not currently support Audio Unit presets. Presets work perfectly with GarageBand and AUM.

Where in GarageBand ca the presets be found? I looked everywhere.

• @Samu said:
    Viking works perfectly with AUM...

Now here's the 'showstopper'. I guess it's AU-Host related?

When Viking is loaded into AUM there's a nice list of preset-patches but when loading Viking in to midiSTEPs, Cubasis or GarageBand the 'Presets' are no where to be found?!

I don't have many AU-Hosts, only midiSTEPs, GarageBand, Cubasis and AUM.

So the big question is, how do MOD STEP, and MTS handle AU-Presets?(Particularly Blamsoft VIking).

The AU-Preset management seems to be a hit and miss.
    iSEM has it's own way to handle presets in the UI
    KQ MiniSynth has 128 'Auto-Save' session-slots that can be selected on load.

Maybe Blamsoft Viking relies on the 'Host' for preset-handling?

I'm really puzzled about this and would love to have some clarification on this issue.
    (Before I start to drag in developers into this 'issue' I'd love to know what main cause is).

Viking relies on the host for preset loading. That's why you can load the presets in GB but not Cubasis. Steinberg should be working on it, if I remember correctly.

• @Rich303 said:

@Carnbot said:

I haven't had a chance to buy AUM. But I'll look into that this afternoon when I buy it. Andrew from Blamsoft highly recommends using Viking with AUM due to there being more flexibility with AUs.

Yes AUM is definitely the best AU host right now, you can't midi learn in MTS or select Viking presets but then again you can select midi channels in MTS and currently you can't in AUM :)

So multiple viking instances are better off in MTS for now.

• @Samu said:

@yowza said:

Above the keyboard toward the right hand side, you'll see an icon that looks like mixer faders. From there you'll see the UI change on Viking. Press the Viking icon in the middle to load up your presets.

• Neat!

Now if it'd only run on my 6 Plus... :(

• Found it...

In Garageband you have to press on the 'tree sliders' left of the Scale Button and then tap on the 'Viking Synth' icon.

So far the award for best AU implementation goes to Kymatica and AUM :D

• @Rich303 said:

@Samu said:

@yowza said:

Above the keyboard toward the right hand side, you'll see an icon that looks like mixer faders. From there you'll see the UI change on Viking. Press the Viking icon in the middle to load up your presets.

• @Samu said:

@yowza said:

if you go to the settings (the button next to scale) and tap the app icon you should get the list of presets. (I don't have Viking but that's how it is for iSEM)

• 9.0 and up only, bought it for the deal but will have to wait for a bit to use

• It should be noted that while AUM does AU preset selection, it does not do MIDI channel selection for AU synths. So you can't send separate note sequences to different instances of the AU. This is an issue with iSEM, not sure about Viking.

Jonatan is already aware of this issue in AUM and has said that it is on his list of fixes. So I'm confident it will be fixed soon.

• @Zetagy said:
    9.0 and up only, bought it for the deal but will have to wait for a bit to use

Yes, that's because AU is only supported from iOS 9 and up.

• A Voyager! Now how to save own presets, save the aumproject probably, and multiple instances for paraphony ?

• Almost certainly Apple not providing a full but restrictive spec for AUi.

Damned if you do damned if you don't ......

• edited February 2016

I once owned a Voyager. Sure attracted a lot of haterz back in the day - from the "too damn expensive!" types to the "it dont sound like a Minimoog Model D" types. I sold it once I realized I could get my monosynth noise-making jollies out of a Microbrute or MS-20 Mini (now I have both, LOL!) and thought it should be in the hands of a real playah.

Now it's out of production and people are going nuts for this new app, haha.

Might pick this up for $5, though I didn't do enough patching/tweaking on the real one to be all too nostalgic.

• @drelbs23 said:
    Neat!

Exactly!! What's up with developers making cool apps that don't support iPhones?!? Don't they know that if they build it we will buy?!? :wink:

• @Rich303 said:

@Samu said:

@yowza said:

Thank you.

• edited February 2016

This came up when NS1 went live: MTS doesn't show enough of the synths GUI. Synth dev in that case referred me to DAW dev for the fix. Which I haven't done.

• edited February 2016

@Audiojunkie said:

@drelbs23 said:
    Neat!

Exactly!! What's up with developers making cool apps that don't support iPhones?!? Don't they know that if they build it we will buy?!? :wink:

+1 Yup!! I find I use my phone so much more since it is always at my side.

• I instabought, because AUM makes AU's so immediately accessible.

However, I with Blamsoft would bundle all the effects. I've been holding off until now, but with AUM, I'd happily buy an effects bundle.