Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Photography thread [Used to be: "What is the level of civility of the Audiobus forum?"]

This is poll to get a sense of what forum members think about the level of civility on the Audiobus forum.

Rate Audiobus Forum Level of Civility
  1. Is the level of civility on the forum35 votes
    1. Greatly improved
      20.00%
    2. Somewhat better
        8.57%
    3. Same
      28.57%
    4. Somewhat worse
      34.29%
    5. Significantly worse
        8.57%

Comments

• Better before I joined.

• @funjunkie27 said:
    Better before I joined.

I agree :p

Only joking.....beat me to my answer B)

• Compared to other forums or compared to when this forum first started?

• I haven't been hanging in these parts long, but it seems to me that civility breaks down when pricing/cost is interjected into a discussion.

• Compared to a lot of other forums, I think it's great.

• I don't think the poll is worded in a way that someone like myself has a basis for comparison to answer :)

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    it seems to me that civility breaks down when pricing/cost is interjected into a discussion.

Exactly this.

• On the whole civility is really good, however I fear that this thread might actually descend into an argument if people decide to use it to justify their uncivilized posts :)

There's been a couple of regrettable arguments recently, one of which resulted in the unfortunate loss of Monzo. Luckily it's rare.

• These questions are all comparisons. What are we comparing to? Before your question was asked? Before Audiubus forum came along? Before the Internet? Before the Industrial Revolution? Before the Chinese invented toilet paper? Before Homo Erectus? Before the PreCambrian era? Before the big bang?

• I've been on sites that seemed like sociopath city. AB forum is a really nice place.

Here's a beer raised to you all :)

• People are generally polite, knowledgable and helpful on this forum and long may it continue that way.

• @u0421793 said:
    These questions are all comparisons. What are we comparing to? Before your question was asked? Before Audiubus forum came along? Before the Internet? Before the Industrial Revolution? Before the Chinese invented toilet paper? Before Homo Erectus? Before the PreCambrian era? Before the big bang?

LOL :p

• I think for the most part everybody gets along fairly well.
    I agree lately some people have been having a lot of back and for arguments, about pricing.
    It seems to me it is most common at the pre-release of an app. I think it has a lot to do with people being overly excited about the newest app coming up, and in the back of their head, are worried that it will be out of their budget, and they will miss out on the newest exciting thing. I know I do it to. I see a new app coming( I'm looking at you Kymatica AUM

• @u0421793 - I would love to get your take as compared to the PreCambrian era.

• @Nathan said:
    Would it not be very civilised for all of us to accept that we may differ in view from time to time?

It's absolutely fine to have a difference of opinion. My objection was specifically to this:

@Nathan said:
    developers who are greedy

Because that is a nasty and personal remark, which also happens to be untrue in this case.

It's fine to say an app is buggy, or too expensive, or doesn't work as advertised. But that was an actual slur, and I think you were rightly called out on it.

Anyway, before derailing another thread I will leave it at that. Hopefully we can let it lie and move on :)

• I can't speak to the level of present civility as opposed to how it's been in the past since I'm fairly new here.

However, I've noticed if you bring up a potentially sensitive subject publicly, you're inviting much more potential vitriol. But, I've noticed that so far, if you simply send the other user a private site message... everyone I've interfaced with so far have been stellar and really good peeps. Something about a public airing that tends to make things go sour fast.

Other than that, I've found everyone here to be really cool and helpful. I think in the future... if I'm about to post something that could possibly be a sensitive subject, I may just hesitate and evaluate whether a friendly private message might be a more fruitful option. :)

• It's decent. The two things that get people going are comparing their favourite DAWs, and pricing. In particular the last. It' seems to be the equivalent of arguing about politics and religion in most other forums. And, I guess when it comes to your DAW, there is a certain amount of religion, and a healthy shot of politics. :wink:

• I think this post is a perfect excuse to show how uncivilized we are and I beg the mods to close it before it goes completely wrong. And I mean it.

• I really don't see the point of this thread if you're not saying what you are comparing it to.
    And even if that was the case, what is there to be done for those who think it is less than... whatever it is compared to.

If you're encountering an issue with someone or something, report it by contacting me. Polls like this only create drama where none exists in the first place.

• This forum is more civilized than most that I frequent.

Other forums have "cannot discuss" rules. Most common are "no politics" and "no religion". This forum doesn't seem to need any just yet, although "no arguing over pricing" might be a borderline choice here. ;)

• Yes, I think we should dedicate at thread for discussing app pricing (for those that wish to do so.)
    We are extremely lucky as iOS musicians to have so many great synths, fx, and Daws. available to us on this platform. let's use our forums to discuss these amazing things with fellow muscicians, and the developers who have made these beautiful tools, and decided to shared with us.
    there are overpriced apps and underpriced apps. let the market self- regulate. don't buy overpriced apps, and encourage developers with underpriced apps to charge a few bucks more, to help them continue creating, and in the end make our community even stronger. let's move on and create great things with these amazing tools.

• What 'time frame' are we refering to?

People can and will have 'mood shifts' and 'anger or irritation bursts' that's part of being a human. Everyone has the right to their own opinion, it's up to us as individuals to choose if we share and accept the opinion or not but there is no need to start a 'war' and convince everyone that one is allways right, we have the right to disagree too.

Over all I feel we're all nice people, sure there are sometimes disagreements but we hardly ever sink down to such a low level that we start to throw personal insults.

I know from experience (10 or so years a go i moderated a Nikon forum) that discussing brands(prefered apps, os etc)., religion(ios vs android, mac vs win etc) and 'politics' will cause havoc so staying away or steering the discussion away from such topics keeps to forum at piece.

Over all this is mostly a friendly forum and makes one 'feel at home', at least that's how I feel :)

• @funjunkie27 said:
    @u0421793 - I would love to get your take as compared to the PreCambrian era.

The fossil record doesn’t contain much evidence of civility. If we go further back, we may find that life forms evolved that were able to consume other life forms. This would have been in the water. The means of consumption would by process of selection favour the “front” of the organism, given a dominant direction of movement.

Later, sensory organs would evolve, again, around the “front” end where the mouth is. The senses would have been weak electrical and chemical, and much later, small areas skin would develop photosensitivity, and transparency and evolve into rudimentary lenses and sensors (which has happened over and over — it’s an available pattern).

Given that there’s limited visibility at most depths underwater, visibility would be limited to the quite near range, yet offer some advantage to no visibility at all. It was at this point that evaluation of perception would evolve, and response to that evaluation would also evolve.

The most granular and fundamental response to sensory evaluation is a binary one — whether to act, or not. A fixed or other inanimate lifeform such as a plant, with almost no mobility in response to senses and limited evaluation, could not choose to act or not act, but the evolution of a sensory system that linked perception to action, could. Again, this is an advantage.

The next most sophisticated level of response, given the binary choice of “act”, is how to act. Typically, this would be go toward the perceived stimuli, go away from it, or go round it (lefty-forwards, or righty-forwards). If you wish to eat it or have sex with it, go toward it. If it will eat you, go away from it. If it presents no threat or opportunity but is in the way, go around it. Choose whether to go this way round it, or the other way round it.

And that ladies and gentlemen brings us up to the present day, which is as far as we’ve got with this sophistication thing.

• edited February 2016

@Nathan said:
    Well, I've only been here 5 minutes, and I'm already fed up with being told what I can say or think. But, only by a few. I hope to learn lots and enjoy happier exchanges with the majority here.

If you were just saying that some apps are too expensive in your opinion I wouldn't have a problem with that. What those few have a problem with is you calling a respected developer greedy on a public forum. I would never tell you to shut up or try to get you banned for that, I believe in freedom of expression which is also why I'm expressing my disagreement with you.

• Yes, I think we should dedicate at thread for discussing app pricing (for those that wish to do so.)
    We are extremely lucky as iOS musicians to have so many great synths, fx, and Daws. available to us on this platform. let's use our forums to discuss these amazing things with fellow muscicians, and the developers who have made these beautiful tools, and decided to shared with us.
    there are overpriced apps and underpriced apps. let the market self- regulate. don't buy overpriced apps, and encourage developers with underpriced apps to charge a few bucks more, to help them continue creating, and in the end make our community even stronger. let's move on and create great things with these amazing tools.

• Again app pricing? Really?

• edited February 2016

It's a great place and people are really, really nice and helpful almost all of the time.

If you spot an argument brewing - best to just let it lie. I mean we're taking about fun music apps at the end of the day. Life is, as they say, way too short :).

It's also excellently moderated by @Sebastian (never an easy job) which I think he does brilliantly.

• @mschenkel.it said:
    I think this post is a perfect excuse to show how uncivilized we are and I beg the mods to close it before it goes completely wrong. And I mean it.

Well, better here, in this honeypot, than all over the place in other threads.

• “I'd never join a club that would allow a person like me to become a member.”

• @u0421793 said:

@mschenkel.it said:
    I think this post is a perfect excuse to show how uncivilized we are and I beg the mods to close it before it goes completely wrong. And I mean it.

Well, better here, in this honeypot, than all over the place in other threads.

No, not everything has to be discussed. To me this thread looks like one of the 'Oh, it was so much better in the olden days when...'

Again, if you find something you're having an issue with, report it. Right now I cannot see anything that needs to be dealt with at all.

I'll leave this thread open for you guys to finish the discussion but if it becomes a source of drama I'm going to close it - and use it as a future example of why these threads aren't useful at all.