Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

8.4.1 vs. 9.x

I've been a contented holdout until Korg introduced the Remote Install for Gadget purchases.
Now i'm considering upgrading my devices, but happy enough with the way things are that it's no rush.

Is there definitive list of pros and cons between iOS 8.4.1 versus iOS 9 as far as music making goes?

Comments

• From a shallow but functional point of view, I haven't had the need to update. Split screen initially intrigued me, but it's a limited thing. Then Auria Pro came along and I'm able to work completely within it, so I'm not updating until any new, innovative apps require 9+.

• edited February 2016

The biggest gotcha still is that some interfaces don't work well with iOS 9. If you're only working with the iPad, with no keyboards, guitars, etc., no problem. And it's not all of them. But FocusRite seems to have been hit hard. Heard reports of distortion and crackling.

On Edit: Apogee seems to have some problems as well.

• edited February 2016

Yes, the thing that keeps me from upgrading is the problem with interfaces, which in theory will be fixed with 9.3. At that point I will probably make the jump.

• edited February 2016

I've literally just updated from 8.4.1 (it was that recent this post wasn't even up at time of update). So far so good. Not in a position to test it with hardware ATM but software etc seems fine. Speed and fluidity appears to be very favourable. For I notice any glitches or software issue's or the likes I'll let you know.

• @Zetagy said:
    I've been a contented holdout until Korg introduced the Remote Install for Gadget purchases.
    Now i'm considering upgrading my devices, but happy enough with the way things are that it's no rush.

Is there definitive list of pros and cons between iOS 8.4.1 versus iOS 9 as far as music making goes?

I will just point out, that upgrading is NOT needed to perform Remote Install in Gadget. I succeeded with an iPad Air 2 on 8.4.1 to an iPhone 6 on 9.2.1 without problems. Or perhaps it was just a stroke of luck ...

• I thought it might be good to ask this again, in light of the Model 15 coming out.
    Are there still any major setbacks to 9, as opposed to the stability of 8?

The opportunity to run two Moog apps Linked is hard to pass on...

• @Zetagy 9.3 is an improvement performance-wise on any version of 8 or earlier 9. Moog worked with Apple to get some fixes in 9.3 for audio apps. iConnectivity also worked with Apple to get the problems Apple had introduced in iOS 9 and El C fixed as well. So, if you are on a 64-bit device, you will almost certainly see an improvement. 32-bit devices are still better on 7.1.2 (but that doesn't affect you :smile: since you are already on 8.something right?)

• It's the rest of my gear I'm thinking about (I'm talking to you, Intua!)

• I've heard about buzz, snap crackle and pop on 9...
  • well. if you want the new Moog Model 15 to work properly
    IOS 9.3+ is a must. that alone makes it worth upgrading.
    like said earlier in this thread Ios 7.1x is better for 32bit devices
    but since you're already on 8.X Ios 9.3 is an improvement on those devices too.

• If you go ios 9 don't forget

It does improve performance!

• is user permission still required to open another app from within Audiobus each time?
    my other major problem with iOS9 is the 'pack of cards' style app-switching.
    maybe you get used to it, but iOS 8 style switching would be a welcome option to me.

• Yes - and pack of cards and no option. But the audio throughput for music production is far better - less glitchy. I have been a 7.1.2 holdout for a long time, but I am now on 9.3.1. :smile:

• edited May 2016

@MusicInclusive Thanks, I'm still an 8.4.1 luddite. Maybe they will come to their senses and kill the house of cards for ios 10? :)

• Well, I did it. Tested a few things out on my phone which is on 9, felt a bit safer than I did a few months ago, and took the plunge. Thanks all for checking in, and a big thanks to @GeertBevin and the Moog team for tipping the scales. I got me two Model 15s now, yeah-!

• I jumped over a while back on my iPhone5 & have not experienced any particular issues (only a couple of 'Core Audio' issues that I hadn't seen before, and only very recently), but they've all worked out. AB works fine, and that's what really counts.

• @iamspoon said:
    is user permission still required to open another app from within Audiobus each time?

Only the first time for each app ... at least as far as I've seen. The first time you switch from one app to the other it will ask. After that it remembers.