Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Yamaha md-bt01 Bluetooth midi - working

I picked up a Yamaha MD-BT01 Bluetooth midi 'thing' today (the 5 pin version, not the USB) and am happy to report success.

I've tested it with an Oxygen 8 keyboard and a Boss FC-50 foot controller. My main hope was to have wireless foot pedal control for Jamup / Bias FX and Loopy. Working well (using Midi Bridge to convert program change to cc for the FC-50).

However, it was nearly a complete non-starter due to a lack of any information on how to get it to connect over Bluetooth. There is no connection App from Yamaha and it does not pair in iOS Bluetooth settings.

Happily I found the solution via Korg's Gadget and Module Apps - in their settings you can scan for Bluetooth midi and it makes a connection. You can then quit the Korg app and the connection remains active and available as a midi input in other apps (jamup and Loopy in my case). I have Korg Module Le, which I'm pretty sure I didn't pay for. I've not found any other Apps that can do this yet, but no doubt there are some.

Hope that helps someone. Bye bye cables :)

Comments

• edited February 2016

I have to say that I am tempted by this one, more of a convenience than a necessity, but still... Thanks for the report.

• I also wanted to get this working on an iPhone 4s which won't run Korg Gadget or Module. I've found the Yamaha 'Faders' app lets you turn the Bluetooth midi on. I've also now found plenty of others for iPad that support Bluetooth midi, but this one is free and works for the 4s.

• Carrying on where I left off... I've been on a bluetooth odyssey, including buying a mostly broken iPhone 4s for peanuts on ebay for it's bluetooth midi transmitting ability.

Midimttr is the crucial app I've found for connecting things, it advertises the availability of the source bluetooth (a controller or App running on an iPhone or iPad) and routes the midi as desired. It can also be used on the host device if the App you are using doesn't offer bluetooth midi.

All this means I've shed my powered usb hub to connect (never enough) midi controllers. Numerous bits of obsolete equipment have been reborn (MPC Fly transmitting over bluetooth from iPhone 4s, iPad using behringer is202 dock now receiving midi from USB controllers over bluetooth and a Tascam IU2 that stopped working under ios7 strangely working again in ios9 when connected directly to iPad rather than via hub).

Specifically, I've been connecting a Novation Launchkey by bluetooth / iPhone 4s to Korg Gadget on an iPad with an audio interface taking the wired connection. Also really making me happy, I've just plugged a Yamaha bt101 bluetooth midi adapter into the back of my old Evolution UC33e and now I have a truckload of knobs talking to Gadget that I never had before.

Now time to twiddle. I realise I'm almost the only person posting in this thread, but if anyone would like me to elaborate further on any element of the above I'd be happy to. No apparent latency to dampen my bluetooth ardour.

• When you say you got your iu2 working do you mean with a 30pin to lightning converter or via USB? Might have to try and find mine.

• I spent the whole day looking after this, or actually any kind of other midi over btle, from Kickstarter to DIY arduino things. Thanks. I guess my wish list will become a cart to checkout pretty soon

• IU2 working with built in 30pin into a 30pin ipad3. I will try with lightning converter to a 5s and report back. I was about to put it on ebay, but it seems to be working ok (as a guitar and mic input) and it does have charge through for the iPad when connected to a USB power supply.

It did produce some 'robot' sound (the ios7 problem) after about 10 minutes, but I found by chance that plugging into the iPad headphone out instead of the IU2 solved the problem. This was always an eccentric device though, so I'm not reporting trouble free waters and I don't think I can take the pain of trying out the midi in/out again just yet...

• One more thing... Using the Novation Launchkey Mini via bluetooth means I can remap the knobs using midi bridge on the transmitter device (iPhone 4s). Then when I feed the midi to Korg Gadget I get just the remapped midi data I want. If it was connected via USB I would get the original CC midi data too as there's no way to screen out midi inputs to Gadget (that I'm aware of).

The advantage of this over using midi learn in Gadget is I'm not having to be specific to one particular controller's cc range (i.e. the launchkey's knobs). I can make all my controllers speak Gadget's cc language and interchange them as I feel when returning to an existing song.

• I really wish the USB version ran on batter power...

• Weird, I swear I wrote a post in here several days ago about my experience with the USB version. Where did it go? Was there another thread about this?

• Since it got lost I'll repeat it: I found the USB version to be a little picky with USB MIDI controllers. Working: TeControl BC, curious inventor ribbon controller, iRig keys, Korg nano series, Akai Lpd 8. Not working: m-audio radium, cmc pd, KMI 12 step. Also no chance to connect a hub, powered or unpowered unfortunately.

• Thanks, @DeVlaeminck, I thought it disappeared somehow but that's right, that's where I posted.

• @steve99 said:
    Now time to twiddle. I realise I'm almost the only person posting in this thread, but if anyone would like me to elaborate further on any element of the above I'd be happy to. No apparent latency to dampen my bluetooth ardour.

Please do not stop elaborating. This is good stuff. I'm a little confused about what all you have plugged into the iPhone.

I'm thinking... 2 or 3 of these bluetooth 5 din MIDI thingies and some sort of USB<->BT MIDI router like an old iPhone means you can use cheap USB only MIDI controllers as a control surface for old hardware synths.

• Very glad to hear this info is of use to someone, here's some more detail:

I have a Novation Launchkey Mini going via a 30 pin CCK into an iPhone 4s. Alternatively I have been using an MPC Fly direct into the iPhone. Also an Akai Synthstation 25 direct into the iPhone.

I use Midibridge to remap controls e.g. Launchkey Mini knobs to Gadget default cc's, or MPC Fly pads to Beatmaker 2 pads, but this isn't essential (except for the Akai SS25 which needs MidiBridge to communicate to the wider midi world).

Midimttr App is crucial (though I think Apollo Midi over Bluetooth can achieve something similar). Launch that on the iOS device you want to transmit from and from the menu select "Advertisement> Advertise Midi Service", this then makes it detectable by the receiving device (i.e within Gadget or Synthmaster Player or using Midimttr on the receiver from the "client" menu). Once you've made the connection it should appear in the midi in list of any App.

Once the connection is made, go back Midimttr on the transmitting device and route midi to the receiving device. Sorry if that sounds complicated, it's not in practice, very quick and clear to see what's happening thanks to Midimttr.

I'm interested to read here mixed reports on the Yamaha UD-BT01 (the usb bluetooth midi adapter) - for me it's a shame it needs external power, a built in battery would've been good. The good thing with an old iPhone 4s is that it'll work as a self powered bluetooth transmitter for several hours (with the screen turned off). There's quite a lot going cheap on ebay because of non-working wi-fi, but with working bluetooth. So long as you can install Midimttr via iTunes it seems a good option to me, certainly if you already have a 30pin CCK.

• One advantage of the UD-BT01 is that it's tiny. It could fit into many things but yes, it needs to be powered. I'm thinking about building a tiny battery pack from 4 half size aaa 1.2V cells, which would be the size of 2 aaa micro cells. That could be attached to the dongle for a pretty small unit. I'm not sure if 4.8 volts will be enough and how long this would last on a charge but it seems like something worth trying.

• @Munibeast said:
    One advantage of the UD-BT01 is that it's tiny. It could fit into many things but yes, it needs to be powered. I'm thinking about building a tiny battery pack from 4 half size aaa 1.2V cells, which would be the size of 2 aaa micro cells. That could be attached to the dongle for a pretty small unit. I'm not sure if 4.8 volts will be enough and how long this would last on a charge but it seems like something worth trying.

That's a clever solution but too bad it has to be powered. Kind of compromises the whole idea of it, doesn't it?

• I agree it's a shame it has to be powered, but the main problem bluetooth solves is the lack of available multiple input options into iOS devices. Whether you use a power supply or a battery, these bluetooth midi adapters at least address that considerable problem.

Regarding small batteries for the UD-BT01 - here’s a report for one that lasts around half an hour, not great admittedly, but info shared nonetheless.

I have also been using a Line 6 FBV MkII USB shortboard as a bluetooth foot controller. It's a fantastic controller for Jam Up, Loopy etc., worked through usb cable and powered hub with iOS 6, stopped working iOS 7. I got it working again using a Kenton USB Midi host and a midi cable. Now the Yamaha md-bt01 lets me use it over bluetooth.

The Kenton USB Midi host needs 5V power for the USB device and bluetooth transmitter. I've been using a medium sized USB battery attractively attached with an elastic band, but was looking for something smaller - I found these going very cheap:

'Energizer EnergiStick AP250MN Mini-USB Blackberry Battery Booster'

That's mini USB, there's also a micro USB version AP750A. You'd need a cable or adapter to plug it into the UD-BT01. It runs the FBV Shortboard and Kenton USB to midi for 30 mins, I assume that would be less with my midi transmitter (Yamaha md-bt01), but right now I've got that plugged into something else.

• I've been looking st the Md bt01

Thanks for posting up your findings.

• @steve99 said:
    I agree it's a shame it has to be powered, but the main problem bluetooth solves is the lack of available multiple input options into iOS devices. Whether you use a power supply or a battery, these bluetooth midi adapters at least address that considerable problem.

Regarding small batteries for the UD-BT01 - here’s a report for one that lasts around half an hour, not great admittedly, but info shared nonetheless.

I have also been using a Line 6 FBV MkII USB shortboard as a bluetooth foot controller. It's a fantastic controller for Jam Up, Loopy etc., worked through usb cable and powered hub with iOS 6, stopped working iOS 7. I got it working again using a Kenton USB Midi host and a midi cable. Now the Yamaha md-bt01 lets me use it over bluetooth.

The Kenton USB Midi host needs 5V power for the USB device and bluetooth transmitter. I've been using a medium sized USB battery attractively attached with an elastic band, but was looking for something smaller - I found these going very cheap:

'Energizer EnergiStick AP250MN Mini-USB Blackberry Battery Booster'

That's mini USB, there's also a micro USB version AP750A. You'd need a cable or adapter to plug it into the UD-BT01. It runs the FBV Shortboard and Kenton USB to midi for 30 mins, I assume that would be less with my midi transmitter (Yamaha md-bt01), but right now I've got that plugged into something else.

Interesting. But that EnergiStick doesn't look like it's smaller than a normal 3000mAh battery pack, so why not use one of those? The reason why I want to build my own is because I want it as small as possible.

• It is small, dimensions of a 9V PP3 and much lighter. No info on it what the actual capacity is. I was interested in something I could neatly attach to the side of a device (like the Kenton Midi host). Also it was very cheap...BUT... it's not really got the legs required, so I'm not recommending it, just reporting the journey. I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

• @steve99 Thanks for sharing your setup, sounds really exciting to make use of extra controllers and ios devices lying around and reroute their controls for another custom setup!!

A general question for anyone here: I'm interested to buy the yamaha md-bt01 which seems to grab its roots from the Quicco mi.1, any suggestions on which might be better? I'm actually leaning towards the Quicco because I prefer the smaller size and I like to support the underdogs (who actually is an ex-Yamaha person apparently?), however I'm thinking that Yamaha has the bigger resources and therefore produces a slightly superior version of the product, with less latency and more physical bluetooth range? Any advice would be appreciated! If it helps, I'd like to plug it into my midi guitar, so therefore the small size of the Quicco could just hang out, however the Yamaha would be a bit annoying like that.

• @syrupcore said:

@steve99 said:

Please do not stop elaborating. This is good stuff. I'm a little confused about what all you have plugged into the iPhone.

I'm thinking... 2 or 3 of these bluetooth 5 din MIDI thingies and some sort of USB<->BT MIDI router like an old iPhone means you can use cheap USB only MIDI controllers as a control surface for old hardware synths.

Can anyone confirm that you can use more than one of these against the same iPad? I see no reason (in "theory") that you couldnt but I was looking for confirmation.

• edited March 2017

Well if anyone cares, I actually got an answer from Yamaha:

Hi,

It is possible to use up to 5 MD-BT01/UD-BT01 simultaneously.

The App “MD-BT01/UD-BT01 Utility” allows you to change the names (*) that appear on an iOS device to suit your preferences when using multiple MD-BT01s and UD-BT01s devices. This utility also keeps your MD-BT01 or UD-BT01 updated with the latest firmware version 1.01.

• Initially they appear as "MD-BT01" or "UD-BT01".

Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/md-bt01-ud-bt01-utility/id1063901794?mt=8

• Great! I am testing one MD -BT01 connected to a NS 2 EX to an ipad air1 and works just perfect, no latency at all.
    Tempted to buy one more MD-BT01 and test to keyboards acting on the same ipad

• Awesome! Keep us posted :)

• Plz help me,,i use focusrite itrack dock ,But can i use yamaha MD-BT 01 at a time in a another midi keyboard in one ipad its possible ?.??..plz help me

• edited March 2018

Hi @hasan.

Do you mean to use an external keyboard with MD BT-01 to send over midi Bluetooth data to the iPad that's in the iTrack Dock?

Or are you wanting to plug the MD BT-01 into a keyboard to use on a 2nd iPad and send Bluetooth audio?

The last scenario wouldn't work as the Bluetooth from the MD BT-01 is just Midi.

I believe the first scenario should have you covered in whatever you're aiming to achieve.

Happy to help further with more details.

• I use one ipad with connecting to dock but don't connect midi port may keyboard but yamaha Md Bt 01 connect to my midi keyboard so any prob when i play together?.?

• Should be fine. You just need to use any app that has ability to see bluetooth midi. Search for bluetooth devices after you've put the the MD-BT01 in the keyboard, and then connect.

Once connected you should be able to use the keyboard for any app that allows midi input.

Which midi keyboard do you have?