Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Launchpad MIDI Sync Out

Why did Novation go with MIDI Sync Out rather than Link in their latest update?

Comments

• Even worse, In-App Purchase

• OMG ! I got a Launchpad MkII arriving on Friday for my birthday, and now Launchpad app gets a way of syncing.......Heaven !!
    BTW Midi sync is an IAP £2.29

@Paul said:

Probably because it can act as a master and will not need real time time stretch. But hey, it's better than no sync at all.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    OMG ! I got a Launchpad MkII arriving on Friday for my birthday, and now Launchpad app gets a way of syncing.......Heaven !!

@Paul said:

Probably because it can act as a master and will not need real time time stretch. But hey, it's better than no sync at all.

I had an idea they would have a problem with Link, but as you say, it really is better than no sync at all :)

• edited February 2016

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    OMG ! I got a Launchpad MkII arriving on Friday for my birthday, and now Launchpad app gets a way of syncing.......Heaven !!

@Paul said:

I had an idea they would have a problem with Link, but as you say, it really is better than no sync at all :)

It also means you can sync directly with Circuit or similar and not just to other apps or ableton.

I want to leave work right now, mug the missus for my launchpad (which I know is hidden in the house somewhere), fire up Launchpad, Midi sync it to ModStep, and Gadget, and start groovin ' B) B) B)

I've been trying to squeeze everything into 8 tracks to fit inside launchpad, now I don't have to B)

@Launchpadforios Thanks for listening :)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Paul said:

It also means you can sync directly with Circuit or similar and not just to other apps or ableton.

I want to leave work right now, mug the missus for my launchpad (which I know is hidden in the house somewhere), fire up Launchpad, Midi sync it to ModStep, and Gadget, and start groovin ' B) B) B)

I've been trying to squeeze everything into 8 tracks to fit inside launchpad, now I don't have to B)

@Launchpadforios Thanks for listening :)

Launchpad really is great for jamming, now it can join other apps too. No major deal not having Link. After the first fun of changing tempo, I rarely use it now. I just want everything in sync :)

• We just added a video to help show how it works.

• @Launchpadforios said:
    We just added a video to help show how it works.

That looks awesome, can you send me a Circuit so I can try it out, it is my 49th birthday on friday afterall :D

Can't blame a man for trying :D

• I don't know why, exactly, but I really want one of these Circuits too. I'm not interested in any other of the controllers or groove boxes...just this one.

Maybe Novation will take pity on Andy and me and send us each a Circuit?

• @Nathan said:
    Just got this app, and it seems to be working with Fugue Machine, Argon and Addictive. But not at the same time, as far as I've got. Has anyone tried simultaneous use of this and Ableton Link apps under AudioBus?

No, it is 17:00, still at work, it won't be until about 21:00 that i get a chance to check out this which i have wanted since the app was originally released, I have waited all that time so why does 4 hours now seem so long :D

In the video that @Launchpadforios posted there is a selection for MIDI Sync destination, do you have all selected as destinations for the sync ?

• @AndyPlankton stop being greedy, you've got a new toy coming.....this ones mine :p

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    @AndyPlankton stop being greedy, you've got a new toy coming.....this ones mine :p

It's not being greedy if I share .....

So I promise, I'll share any tunes I make o:) o:)

• Works ok with Midi Link Sync app to say patterning as its only sync out from the launchpad app it's probably added a a extra app that's not needed! Was wondering if it would clock out to any DJ apps ?

• Still don't fully understand (nothing new there!) what those of us who have no outboard gear might get out of this IAP using other apps on the system etc. Any clues?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Still don't fully understand (nothing new there!) what those of us who have no outboard gear might get out of this IAP using other apps on the system etc. Any clues?

I can now use launchpad and its effects for audio loops and mod step for midi loops, and on Friday when I get my launchpad hardware I can run the launchpad app in the background and have monster on screen and not need to switch.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Still don't fully understand (nothing new there!) what those of us who have no outboard gear might get out of this IAP using other apps on the system etc. Any clues?

I can now use launchpad and its effects for audio loops and mod step for midi loops, and on Friday when I get my launchpad hardware I can run the launchpad app in the background and have monster on screen and not need to switch.

Is that what we are calling Modstep now? :p

• edited February 2016

Works fine! Launchpad is getting really interesting.

I actually prefer MIDI sync. Hope Link doesn't become the universal standard for iOS music apps syncing until Ableton makes it available to the competition (like Steinbergs's VST and Propellerhead's ReWire).

• @AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Are you sure the LaunchPad app can run in the background when using the LaunchPad controller? That would be great if it is true.

• @bsantoro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Are you sure the LaunchPad app can run in the background when using the LaunchPad controller? That would be great if it is true.

I believe it needs to be on Audiobus to run in background, I may be wrong.

• Look, might have to reinstall now. An IAP is no big deal, these guys need to keep developing great gear / apps y'know?

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Is that what we are calling Modstep now? :p

LMAOOO I didn't notice, apples predictive text :/ , but yes it is a monster :D

• @bsantoro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I will let you know tomorrow after I tried it :) But I believe it will

• @Launchpadforios
    It runs fine synced with ModStep, everything in time and running smoothly.

If I try and sync gadget, then Gadget plays in double time which is a shame. I did half heartedly try and use midi sync with ModStep and then have ModStep use Link to let Gadget sync but things got very hairy and link started running at about 1000% speed :o
    I did get limited success using this same method to sync iElectribe which seems to not want to sync to midi from launchpad at all.

Same old MIDI Sync issues with apps, but that was to be expected I guess. It works with ModStep which was my main need so cool beans from that perspective
    Decent sync with Gadget would be nice though, especially as it has the Ableton export function which is perfect for generating loops to run in Launchpad.

• Midiflow can generally fix any MIDI issues I have on iOS. Wouldn't fix issue that Launchpad must be master though. I wonder why Novation didn't allow Launchpad to be slave, a shame.

• @ghostly606 said:
    Midiflow can generally fix any MIDI issues I have on iOS. Wouldn't fix issue that Launchpad must be master though. I wonder why Novation didn't allow Launchpad to be slave, a shame.

It is due to the fact that in order to be a slave it would have to do real time time stretching which is very processor hungry, and that would take away a lot of the ability to mess with the audio output via the effects which for me is one of Launchpads best features.

• I completely adore this. Played with it during my lunchbreak now.

Following Setup works like a charm:
    1. Launchpad sending Midi Sync to ->
    2. Midi Link Sync App (Mode Midi to Link)
    3. Glitchbreaks (Linked)
    4. SoundPrims Link (Linked)

once everything is connected tap Play on the Midi Sync Bar in Launchpad, wait one or two cycles and voilà everything is ready. JAM away :smiley:

• and this is making me sure I'll buy an Novation Circuit after my birthday coming up later this month :smiley:

• edited February 2016

Tested so far
    1.launchpad midi to
    2. MIDI link sync to
    3. Gadget linked to
    4. ielectribe

Tried to start ikaossilator froze at boot screen.
    And couldn't get samplr to sync(could be my loops aren't proper)through midi.

Now to slave beatstep which masters my electribe M

• If I try and sync gadget, then Gadget plays in double time which is a shame.

We just checked and confirm this sometimes happens, we're looking into it!

• ...to anyone using Launchpad for iOS MIDI Sync Output with Gadget, you might want to check that background audio is enabled for Gadget.

• @Launchpadforios said:

If I try and sync gadget, then Gadget plays in double time which is a shame.

We just checked and confirm this sometimes happens, we're looking into it!

I love you guys more and more each day, and I've been a Novation customer since the original BassStation keyboard release :)