Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Multitrack Studio ??

Potentially awesome app for iPad but a few questions.
Shouldn't drum perfect/Dm1/funk box interface nicely through IAA?

Problem I am having is using MTS midi out to trigger changes within other apps. Setting the tempo in song edit, and upon playback the performance is out of sync. Starts off great. Sounds great.  Would hit record button if it wasn't for the syncing problem- anyone anyone know how to fix this? 

Sorry for asking here, I can't seem to find the answer on their forum and thought someone here may know.

Would I be any better off to use Audiobus between the two?

3rd drum app, same sync problem, tired of sequencing and need help!

Comments

• Hi @PSOS78 saw this on the MTS forum. When you say you set tempo in song edit, are you making tempo changes from your starting tempo there? (You set original tempo by adding the click track in MTS I assume)

• Well since you didn't mention it anywhere in your setup... are you sure you have the "MIDI Clock" option turned on and is exporting the MTS Midi Clock, and you have MTS Midi Clock set up as the other app's sync input device?

• edited February 2016

@PSOS78 My experience with IAA is to not select clock send in MTS or receive in DM 1, my tests just now (while Im supposed to be working) is that I'm able to send midi note, tempo, and tempo changes from MTS to DM 1 without selecting send, or receive, clock in either app. IAA supposedly handles all this - though this is case-by-case, and needs testing per app.

My steps: set song tempo in MTS by adding a click track.
    Load DM 1 in IAA midi track (which is a bit of pain you have to open DM1 separately...)
    Open MTS's "Edit" button at the top, and select "Tempo/Time Signature Editor"
    Block select an area of the time line you want change tempo for, open the "Edit" button at the bottom and select a new tempo for. This worked for me just now...

• Awesome suggestions, I will retry.
    Been putting off other tracks until I get the drums right.

• >
    Yes, I have tried that/moved to DrumPerfect and still similar behavior.

Basically, when I create click track and then put in tempo changes, the result is a track which starts in sync and lags farther and farther each measure.
    @Coloobar said:

Well since you didn't mention it anywhere in your setup... are you sure you have the "MIDI Clock" option turned on and is exporting the MTS Midi Clock, and you have MTS Midi Clock set up as the other app's sync input device?

• I will retry using your approach. It's possible I did something different, thank you very much for the help!

@Littlewoodg said:
    @PSOS78 My experience with IAA is to not select clock send in MTS or receive in DM 1, my tests just now (while Im supposed to be working) is that I'm able to send midi note, tempo, and tempo changes from MTS to DM 1 without selecting send, or receive, clock in either app. IAA supposedly handles all this - though this is case-by-case, and needs testing per app.

Load DM 1 in IAA midi track (which is a bit of pain you have to open DM1 separately...)
    Block select an area of the time line you want change tempo for, open the "Edit" button at the bottom and select a new tempo for. This worked for me just now...

@Littlewoodg said:

• edited February 2016

@PSOS78
    I might be testing the wrong thing for you, are you trying to sync DM1 to notes sequenced in MTS's editor, or are you syncing a sequence you made in DM1? In other words which piano role are you writing your pattern in?

I assumed you were using MTS's midi editor to sequence your pattern, that's what I do, preferring that to the limitations of the DM 1 grid...

• I have patterns stored in DrumPerfect and dm-1. It seems they both weave out of sync. I have tried turning everything midi off, and also on, in both apps as well as off/on in MTS. I even tried combinations of off/on that didn't make sense. They all had the same result.

This has been going on about three weeks! I'm to the point the fun is about gone/which is the whole point for me lol.

• yes, I have been sequencing in dm1 or DP.
    Sequencing in MTS seems to take me a while.
    Littlewood, can you change tempo easily say adjust 1-2 bpm if sequencing in MTS after the song is together?

• @PSOS78 said:
    yes, I have been sequencing in dm1 or DP.
    Sequencing in MTS seems to take me a while.
    Littlewood, can you change tempo easily say adjust 1-2 bpm if sequencing in MTS after the song is together?

What I've done is delete the click track and put a new one in, with a different tempo...not sure about whether it worked but seems like it should (works on midi...you have to select the length of the audio tracks - "select all" - and apply stretch to fit to the bar lines) This is speculative...

• edited February 2016

I see. There is, for some reason bpm difference in different apps. Dm1, DP, funk box, and MTS. 111bpm in dm1 is 109 in DP for example. This "may" be attributed to varying cpu loads...

Sequencing in MTS "should" alleviate this.

Gonna play with time stretch. And watch another YT tutorial in a day or two when I'm free.

May also try DrumPerfect-audiobus-soundcloud/Dropbox/etc and see if the imported file is any better.

Hoping I have luck with time stretch, can't wait to try that. Me and my tempo changes......lol.

• @PSOS78
    Stretch wise, if yo are going to change the tempo in MTS after laying down audio tracks, and the project includes MIDI too, you won't need to stretch the audio separately, though you may want to. Global change of tempo, by deleting your first click track and replacing it with another, changes info in both audio and MIDI lanes to fit the new tempo.

I've found the same thing, that tempo in one app, say 120, is 119.1 in another...

• edited February 2016

I had some issues with DM1 and MTS too. I ended up programming DM1 first then coping audio mix-downs into MTS.
    Overall I'm finding MTS the best DAW for iOS just because it's so CPU efficient. It took me a while to get used to the clunky '90s interface but otherwise its a pleasure to work with. Midi editing is a dream. I wish it had more than 32 tracks though. When you're doing multiple takes you soon run out of tracks.

• @pichi said:
    I had some issues with DM1 and MTS too. I ended up programming DM1 first then coping audio mix-downs into MTS.
    Overall I'm finding MTS the best DAW for iOS just because it's so CPU efficient. It took me a while to get used to the clunky '90s interface but otherwise its a pleasure to work with. Midi editing is a dream. I wish it had more than 32 tracks though. When you're doing multiple takes you soon run out of tracks.

Yep, this exactly. The amount of work and added features he continues to add to it are amazing.

• @PSOS78 said:
    I have patterns stored in DrumPerfect and dm-1. It seems they both weave out of sync. I have tried turning everything midi off, and also on, in both apps as well as off/on in MTS. I even tried combinations of off/on that didn't make sense. They all had the same result.

This has been going on about three weeks! I'm to the point the fun is about gone/which is the whole point for me lol.

I've never had any luck getting DM1 to sync - I try every time it's updated.... but it always seems to drift.

• Very interesting... > @Littlewoodg said:

@PSOS78
    Stretch wise, if yo are going to change the tempo in MTS after laying down audio tracks, and the project includes MIDI too, you won't need to stretch the audio separately, though you may want to. Global change of tempo, by deleting your first click track and replacing it with another, changes info in both audio and MIDI lanes to fit the new tempo.

I've found the same thing, that tempo in one app, say 120, is 119.1 in another...