Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to play ____ using iOS

edited February 2016 in Creations

Do we have a thread for tips on playing particular songs or parts using iOS music apps?

If not I'd like to start this one off with help on playing the synth part from Eminence Front by The Who.

I'm not a player but have a midi keyboard and many iOS synth apps. Any ideas on how to program an arp to play this part? Or something simpler with delay? Apparently a Yamaha E70 was used in the song.

Some apps I own are sunrizer, isem, imini, ivcs3, gadget, xsynthesizr, fugue machine, Thor, iprophet, ipolysix, animoog, wavegenerator, and others(suggest one, I may have it).

Comments

• I love the idea for this thread. I mainly play cover songs and I am always looking to recreate various parts for keyboards. As far as this particular piece, I would approach it in one of two ways. I am not familiar with all of the synth apps you have, but with Magellan you can create any note pattern using the sequencer, set it to a particular clock speed, and drive two synth sounds at once. So you could potentially create a sequence for that opening repetitious line with synth 1 and play that other melody with synth 2. Another option, since the pattern portion is isolated in the beginning of the track, would be to rip it into Garage Band or any other recording app and trim that part and set it on a loop. The second option is what i usually do when possible, this way it sounds close to authentic. Also, once I create a file like that I import it to NoisePad and use my keyboards drum pads to trigger them and if necessary send a click track to my drummer. Hopefully this thread will continue, I am always looking for help in recreating sampled sounds.

• ah yes magellan is another I have but didn't think of using. Thanks good idea. I'd rather play it into an arp or loop rather than use a recording.
    Any other more specific note etc advice is welcome.

• I love the idea of this thread! I have one for you guys. Nine inch Nails ,the wretched. how would you make this sound ( seen at @2:08). I have most of the popular synth apps on my iPad. but this sound is a lot harder than you think to program. any ideas?

• Blade!!
    how do you make this synth sound? what synth, what arpeggiator?

• What about bluegrass? Anyone do bluegrass on iOS?

• I am also looking for a tone for the synth solo in "Shut up and Dance," Walk the Moon. Hopefully there will be as many answers as questions in this thread :#

• @MusicInclusive said:
    What about bluegrass? Anyone do bluegrass on iOS?

Good question...If I could find a fiddle app, I would. I know it's a violin but I haven't been able to get fiddle style sounds yet, from anything I've tried.

• (I should add, I do not wish to do bluegrass on the iPad - I do not (wish to) do bluegrass on anything! :wink: But, for those who do... I thought it was worth asking the question! :smile: )

• @MusicInclusive said:
    (I should add, I do not wish to do bluegrass on the iPad - I do not (wish to) do bluegrass on anything! :wink: But, for those who do... I thought it was worth asking the question! :smile: )

You could be on to a coming trend however; there's a post-punk-alt-country trio playing in the dives around Austin who describe themselves as Nugrass. Could become a thing...

• @JohnnyGoodyear @MusicInclusive

I've been trying to use filters on violins to do New Model Army, but as with Blue Grass I can't get the articulation of the strings right to give that sense of urgency.

• I happen to have one of these

sitting beside me at the moment. Mine was bought from new, decades ago, and is grey.

One of the things I and my assistant (when I was doing the electronic art and digital repro on ST World magazine) used to do constantly was to play it together, with this particular style (34 Bluegrass) running constantly as we played:
    synthmania.com/Yamaha%20SHS-10/Audio/Factory%20style%20demos/34%20BLUEGRASS.mp3

• @u0421793 said:
    One of the things I and my assistant (when I was doing the electronic art and digital repro on ST World magazine) used to do constantly was to play it together, with this particular style (34 Bluegrass) running constantly as we played:
    synthmania.com/Yamaha%20SHS-10/Audio/Factory%20style%20demos/34%20BLUEGRASS.mp3

This explains a lot. I have put a note in your file.

• Johnny Spooky GoodYear and his X music files :p

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Johnny Spooky GoodYear and his X music files :p

Yeah, but if you shake him - such a lovely vibrato ;)

• @MusicInclusive said:
    What about bluegrass? Anyone do bluegrass on iOS?

Yes, I wouldn't mind seeing some iFretless Banjo or Banjoism!