Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Feel The Breeze 2016 - with drums by Bluepunk

This was one of my SOTMC entries (back in September), and while I was happy with the song the drums that I used originally weren't very good. So I asked @Bluepunk to redo them and he has done an amazing job, with results that are much more dynamic and engaging than anything I could ever do. I still have to decide whether the vocals are a little too high in the mix, I've lowered them from the original but they might still be a tad too loud.

Comments

• Nice mix :) yep personally I think the vocals are too high in the mix.

• Excellent stuff! Great drums,well done @Bluepunk. And Richard this is the best vocal I've heard from you.Really confident and strong delivery,well done! I personally think the vocal is fine where it is listening on my Sony mdr's.If u do decide to shift it,then it only needs a nudge imo. Wouldn't it be cool if one time we decided to treat the SOTMC like a band and utilised everyone's strengths to write and record a belter?! :smiley:

• The reason I said it may be too high in the mix, is when I played it at low volume levels, it seems to lose its cohesion with the rest of the sounds. I admit to not having tried the car test though :)

I can't listen again now though as my iPad audio cable has bit the dust, so back to the iPad speakers for now :(

• Actually having another listen, I'm not sure if it's the vocals that need dropping or some of the lower mid to bass being muddied by maybe the reverb.

Don't get me wrong, not being critical for the sake of, it's just that I've had similar problems in the past. I usually get someone with a better ear than myself to mix lol :)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Actually having another listen, I'm not sure if it's the vocals that need dropping or some of the lower mid to bass being muddied by maybe the reverb.

That's just my "wall of sound" mixing approach - it's pretty hit and miss actually (my January SOTMC mix was a miss for sure), but this one is one where I feel I got it right. It's mostly mixed in mono (bar a couple of cymbals) and there is no traditional "bass" instrument in the mix at all, there's synth pads mixed in with guitars and the idea is for it all to mush into one big mass of sound with only the lead instruments actually recognisable. It's influenced by My Bloody Valentine and Phil Spector. I like it because it creates a certain dreamy atmosphere, and also it's the exact opposite of what everyone says you should do :)

Thanks very much for the feedback though, and I didn't actually consider it critical. Criticism is welcome anyway, I don't take it personally. Of all the songs I've done so far this is my favourite, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it isn't everyone's cup of tea. I like it because it sounds like the music I have in my head and that I want to create, but I'm sure it's too slow, or too long, or too depressing for some :)

• edited February 2016

@richardyot

Yeah I like it too. I tend not to comment often on people's tracks. I liked this one though and wanted to discuss it with you. I would be proud to have done this track :)

My wall of sound has always been Killing Joke biased ;)

I would love to tinker with the track myself, wonder how our mixes would sound similar or different?

• edited February 2016

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I would love to tinker with the track myself, wonder how our mixes would sound similar or different?

Interesting idea - I could render stems out of Auria and offer to remix to anyone who wants to. What makes this interesting from my point of view is that I would definitely learn a ton by listening to other people's mixes.

I'll look into it.

• @richardyot said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Interesting idea - I could render stems out of Auria and offer to remix to anyone who wants to. What makes this interesting from my point of view is that I would definitely learn a ton by listening to other people's mixes.

I'll look into it.

That would be an awful lot of fun and a great learning experience for all involved :)

• I've created a new thread and uploaded the stems to Dropbox if you want to have a go @Fruitbat1919

Anyone else is also welcome to have a go.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    @richardyot

Yeah I like it too. I tend not to comment often on people's tracks. I liked this one though and wanted to discuss it with you. I would be proud to have done this track :)
    My wall of sound has always been Killing Joke biased ;)

Nowt wrong with that Sir. "Requiem" is the tune I've already written in my will to be my funeral song. That riff!!! Ah man! :smile:

Fabulous idea. A very interesting & educational exercise.