Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is it possible to record mic and guitar at same time?

I think it is unlikely but maybe someone can confirm that for me, so I can save some money.
If I input guitar through something like iRig or Jamup Plug, and input vocal through something like Blue Snowball (I heard it supports ipad), and record through AB to Multitrack DAW. Is it possible that Multitrack could record two devices at same time?
Thanks.

Comments

• It is possible, but I don't know if it is in the scenario you specified. I use the Akai EI (not the pro version) and Cubasis or Auria (Beatmaker 2 and others may work too.). You just need to arm both tracks and specify the correct EIE port for each. Works great!

• Thanks @funjunkie27. But sadly it is not what I'm looking for. I have an audio interface and I've tried on iPad, but I hate all the cables (guitar, speakers, mic, powered hub, etc.). So what I'm looking for is by pure iPad devices, like I said above, iRig, Jamup Plug, Apogee Jam, Snowball, Tascam im2, etc.. So there will be no more cables on my desk.
    But thanks again for the reply.

• iOS only supports a single USB Audio device. iOS devices themselves are also very stingy with how much power they allow to be drawn from the CCK.

Not sure about no cables - there is no WiFi Audio support at all in iOS, neither from the OS nor available to Apps (as yet - I have hopes for Jack). How were you imagining going without cables?

So you need a box with two instrument/mic inputs as a minimum. Is there one that is stingy enough on power to run directly off the CCK? Not cheap, but there is the Focusrite iSolo. I don't think there is a cheap way to go, you're not going to save any money.

Also you will not need AB for basic recording - all the DAWs are going to pick up the external inputs directly.

(You may notice I like Focusrite. I have 2i2 and 18i6 and am about to get an 18i20 at work - they are well made and sound great great, so worth the price)

• Yep. I've tested the Focusrite 18i20 and iTrack Solo as well as the Komplete Audio 6 by Native Instruments and they all work in the scenario described above.

• Well, logictree brings up another point actually. If iOS allowed it, he could use the CCK for one input, and another mono input thru the 3.5 mm jack. Even if this were possible, the sound quality issues with recording thru the 3.5 mm jack would be a problem.

I have to agree with others here, the best results would be from a USB audio interface, there are plenty of options.

• Thanks, guys. At first I thought new version of Apogee One is good solution. But after some research, it only supports one input at a time like the old version which I had for a while.
    It seems there is no other way but using a PC/Mac audio interface.
    Thanks again.

• The Sonoma Wire Works Guitar Jack 2 has 1/4" guitar and 1/8" stereo inputs. If both are used simultaneously then each gets it's own mono track. No power or batteries needed. An XLR to 1/8" mono cable adapter willl allow you to record guitar and vocal together.

• I do this with the Alesis iO4. As the name implies you can actually do it with 4 separate channels. I use that for drums.

• @logictree Are you sure? Apogee's product page mentions several times that you can use two inputs simultaneously.

• Thank you very much @Matthew. I can't believe I made such a huge mistake. New Apogee One does support two inputs simultaneously.
    Thanks again man.