Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad 4 - What is your average Battery duration w/ AB?

Hi iPad 4 Users,

I´m wondering how is your Battery duration using Audiobus along some other apps?

Surfin the web and watching youtube videos, i´m able to nearly reach apple´s promised 10 hours of battery duration. 8 hours to be exactly. But it seems, running some music making/manipulating apps need a ton of battery power. Which I find pretty surprising compared to all the energy draining videos.

The iPad4 i´m using, i bought some months ago. So the battery is pretty new. I recalibrated the iPads´ battery by using it until it turned off by itself and then re-charged. Did this two or three times, before i began this little test.

To make it comparable, here are my iPad settings. I think i turned everything unnecessary off, which draines battery power:

• iOS 6.1.3
  • auto bright: off
  • brightness: 75%
  • push notification/mail: off
  • location services: off
  • flight modus: on
  • Apps used at the same time: Audiobus, Beatmaker 2, Animoog, Audioshare, Loopy HD, Samplr

In the first run, i reached a battery duration about 5 hours.

I´m curious about your experience...

Comments

• I haven't timed it, but if you are using several music apps at once then you are probably using it more intensively than just watching a video or other "normal" or average use, so i'm not too surprised that the battery drains faster in these circumstances.

• Yes, not just with AudioBus. As soon as you run apps in the background (red recording bar) you will drain power much quicker!

• thank you for the quick answer, guys.

@PhilW

I see. It really looks like the processor needs more power to run several apps at the same time compared to watch youtube/vimeo videos. I´m surprised. Well, enlightened :-)

@Trueyorky

Agree. As soon the red recording bar appears, I can see my battery display dropping 1% each couple minutes. I find it to fast actually. So was a bit concerned my battery was damaged somehow. But as i said, websurfing with 50% of brightness i get a 8hours of uses out of 1 charge.

Still curious to hear some experience of other iPad4 users here.

• I only can talk about my usage of about 3h per session (including short breaks, during which everything keeps running, but isn' really in use), active: Audiobus, Bitwiz, Sampler, iDensity (input), sometimes switched to Loopy, Turnado (effect), Lineout. During these 3h the battery goes down about 25% (from 80 to 60, 50 to 30, etc.). I never had it running any longer yet, but it seems pretty consistent with your findings, since I don't use any output-App... .

• I using ipad4 too, but I haven't really time the usage, I only using Jamup Pro for input, GarageBand for output, it seems the battery drain similar like yours with 3G on. But I think that the 75% of screen brightness is way too high for me, normally I will only go for 25%.