Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Problem with iPad Air, Audiobus+Loopy and Steinberg UR44

Hi!

Apologies as I am posting this also on the Loopy HD forum. I thought to have a go here too cause I am not sure what is causing the problem I have.

I have been using Loopy HD for a while now, progressively replacing my RC50 based setup with Loopy, soundcard and FCB1010. Indeed, I was using an Maudio Mtrack plus until Christmas. Everything went reasonably well, although I had to create an Audiobus template with Mimix controlling the inputs because otherwise I was getting L and R all panned, rendering recording/monitoring not ideal.

In order to fulfill my needs for more inputs, I recently bought a Steinberg UR44. 6in 6out, rugged, internalDSP. Great card with class compliant mode and an app designed to manage the ins and outs, which I thought ideal for my situation.

It'd be in fact ideal, but I have a huge problem now!

When I start all the situation (which atm is basically just feeding all the inputs into the card and then on the iPad using a powerd USB hub), everything seems smooth and working very well. I am using a simple Audiobus scene with inputs from soundcard into output into Loopy.

The problem is that after a random period of time - can be between 1 hour and 10 minutes - when I hit and record a track on Loopy I get a totally distorted signal! I mean, at a volume that can basically damage my hearing. There, without warning or anything. If I switch off the card and then on again, it starts again fine and then the problem comes back after a while.

I'd like to seek help from any of you guys that has encountered the same problem. I am bummed because this card seems really good, zero latency and can input lots of tracks. But if I cannot get it to be stable unfortunately I will have to send it back (still have 1 week to return luckily).

Thanks a lot
AN

Comments

• @AN : What iOS version are you using on your iPad Air? Have you updated your UR44 firmware to the latest version?

• LFSLFS
    edited January 2016

Hi AN,

Powered USB hub sounds not like a good solution to connect the interface to the iPad. Please check again having the UR44 connected via (original) Apple iPad camera connection kit or lightning to USB camera adapter.

Hope that helps,
    Lars

• @LFS said:
    Hi AN,

Powered USB hub sounds not like a good solution to connect the interface to the iPad. Please check again having the UR44 connected via (original) Apple iPad camera connection kit or lightning to USB camera adapter.

Hope that helps,
    Lars

While it might not be "a good solution", do you have anything to share with us about the nature of the problem ?

Why is this not "a good solution" ?

• LFSLFS
    edited January 2016

Hi DeVlaeminck,

Unless the UR44 or iPad device is defective I do not see a problem.

The UR44 includes its own power supply.
    Connecting the device to the iPad requires the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit or lightning to USB adapter.

UR44 setup examples can be found here: http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_series/models/ur44/ur44_setup_examples.html

Best,
    Lars

• edited January 2016

@LFS said:
    Hi DeVlaeminck,

Unless the UR44 or iPad device is defective I do not see a problem.

The UR44 includes its own power supply.
    Connecting the device to the iPad requires the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit or lightning to USB adapter.

UR44 setup examples can be found here: http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_series/models/ur44/ur44_setup_examples.html

Best,
    Lars

Thanks for your interest and replies, Lars.
    On one hand I'm just curious about what the problem is.
    On the other hand, using a USB-hub gives you freedom to use other (USB) devices simultainiously, like USB-MIDI keys.

• @Washboy

I am using iOS 8.4 and latest firmware.

@LFS

Thanks Lars, I will try this later and report on what happens. If this works though a bigger problem will be introduced: it is paramount for me to have it running through a USB hub. I and many others, I suppose, need to plug all sort of stuff into the iPad via usb for a proper setup. Midi keyboards for instance, or midi to usb devices for sync purposes. In my case, I need to plug in at least:

an LPD8
    an LPK25
    a Volca Sample
    a Korg MS20 midi controller
    an Eventide Pitchfactor (via direct usb)
    and an FCB1010

Obv there's not way I can do this with just one MIDI port on the card, so I need a USB hub. The thing is all my previous soundcards managed this with (relatively) no fuss.

Therefore it would be great, as DeVlaeminck was saying, to understand why and if we can circumvent this limitation with the UR44 without ditchin it for another card! What do you think?

Thanks again

• I wonder if this is at all related to an issue I've had since I first got a UR44 over a year ago. Randomly (but I can also make it happen at will with Auria), during playback the UR44 will get stuck in a 500ms (or so) loop. The only sure way to kill it is to power-cycle the UR44, although sometimes disconnecting the USB will stop the looping.

The UR44 is directly connected to the iPad via a genuine Apple CCK - no hub involved. However, the suggestion that the UR44 needs to be directly connected to the host computer seems overly restrictive.

I'm currently using an ancient iPad3 and understand that users of more powerful iPads don't have this precise issue. I replaced my original unit but the symptom remained. I use other audio interfaces without difficulties. After trying iOS v7.1.2 to v8.4.1 on this iPad3, I gave up on trying to use the UR44 and consigned it to the "unreliable" drawer. Very disappointing.