Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

List of apps that also function as AU/AUi

So, with the latest update from Garageband AND the fact MultiTrack Studio makes use of AU technology, I got a question. Besides iSEM, which iOS synths function as AUi and which effects as AU? Thank you in advance. :)

Comments

• edited January 2016

AU Effects

-Zero reverb
    -Zero chorus
    -Resampler
    -F-16 filter
    -Mic swap
    -Remaster

AU Instruments

-Isem

AU Hosts

-Multitrack studio
    -Ferrite (only effects)
    -MidiSTEPs (only instruments)
    -GarageBand (only instruments)

And that's it (I think), GarageBand only hosting instruments makes no sense but effects might come on a later update.

• I'd really thought there would've been at least another synth or two add AU ability by this time. it would be nice to hear from developers if they plan on adding it...

Maybe now with the GB update we'll start seeing Twitter announcements "AU coming soon to xxxx synth" !

• Wicked well-done Lacm1993. :) Thank you for helping.

Well, I hope more synths join up on this list, Thor being one in particular.

Also pardon my stupidity, but what is "host" and is there an appstore link? I can't seem to find it.

• edited January 2016

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Wicked well-done Lacm1993. :) Thank you for helping.

Also pardon my stupidity, but what is "host" and is there an appstore link? I can't seem to find it.

I meant hosts as in Audio Unit hosts or apps that support Audio Units. Edited the list so each category looks more clear. At the moment Multitrack studio is still the best AU host as it support both effects and instruments.

• edited January 2016

i know nothing about coding - but maybe somebody who knows could answer this: would it be possible to make an app that functions as an AU unit that would 'load' other synth apps that aren't AU's and kind of act as a go-between the non-AU synth app and a supported host like GB? The app could be a simple keyboard that has a simple "Load Synth" button on the side. You would load this app inside GB or MTS and it would kind of act as a go-between between the host and the synth app? am I making any sense?

• @Halftone said:
    i know nothing about coding - but maybe somebody who knows could answer this: would it be possible to make an app that functions as an AU unit that would 'load' other synth apps that aren't AU's and kind of act as a go-between the non-AU synth app and a supported host like GB? The app could be a simple keyboard that has a simple "Load Synth" button on the side. You would load this app inside GB or MTS and it would kind of act as a go-between between the host and the synth app? am I making any sense?

Audiobus would be genius if they did that. They are pretty much halfway there. Use same tech as au plugin and let audiobus act as the au plugin inside GB or MTS aka kind of like Kontakt.

• edited January 2016

If anyone is interested I've included Audio Units in the search meta at http://appsfor.audio

I'll be keeping these pages up to date so good for bookmarking if you want to keep track as more are added :smile:

All Audio Units: http://appsfor.audio/tag/audio-unit/
    Hosts: http://appsfor.audio/audio-units/host/
    Instruments: http://appsfor.audio/audio-units/instrument/
    Effects: http://appsfor.audio/audio-units/effect/

• edited January 2016

Thanks mate! :smiley: That's super helpful.

Also, I think Halftone's suggestion of an Audiobus AU would be a wicked sick idea. :smiley: Make it happen mates.

• edited January 2016

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Thor??Sorry to say that,but don't count on that one ;) it's not even supporting IAA instrument to date (just the basic but lazy generator implentation).

Yeah,still a very very small list that is...probably developer got tired of implementing all the new and shiny stuff after AB and IAA....without customer who pay for the extra development work.

• @stormywaterz said:

@Halftone said:

Audiobus would be genius if they did that. They are pretty much halfway there. Use same tech as au plugin and let audiobus act as the au plugin inside GB or MTS aka kind of like Kontakt.

Brilliant idea guys!

• But apps need a updated UI for AU....

• edited January 2016

@Crabman said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Thor??Sorry to say that,but don't count on that one ;) it's not even supporting IAA instrument to date (just the basic but lazy generator implentation).

Yeah,still a very very small list that is...probably developer got tired of implementing all the new and shiny stuff after AB and IAA....without customer who pay for the extra development work.

Ooohhh, but mate, I wrote Propellerhead. They passed along my request to the development team. It's not a guarantee, but at least Propellerhead is a good company that listens to its customers (unlike Cakewalk and its z3ta+ with the broken preset management system).

It's been a helluva long time! How have you been?! :tongue:

• @Cinebient said:
    But apps need a updated UI for AU....

Fortunately "dagger", the new beepstreet synth, has a UI that looks optimized for iOS AU :)

I have the desktop version and it's a very fun monosynth, I can't wait to play with it inside modstep (that would def' be a good host, if this ever happens)

Back to gadget for now...

• It should be interesting to know if Arturia increase the sales of iSem because GB is very popular.

• Of course they will.
    What would be really interesting to see, is wheather there will be potential revenue for the devs in AU development.

• Just saw on Twitter the beep streets synth Dagger is coming soon to iOS as an AU .. And then Sunrizer too! This will be great!

• I've started getting not very good performance from MTS with iSem as an AU.

It was fine when it first came out. But now I get lots of clicks and crackles.

This is on iOS9 with an Air2 so it should be fine. Anyone else getting similar?

• Did you just upgrade your iOS ?

• Nope. I'm on the version before the most recent one I think.

• @Halftone said:
    Just saw on Twitter the beep streets synth Dagger is coming soon to iOS as an AU .. And then Sunrizer too! This will be great!

Heart news.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    I've started getting not very good performance from MTS with iSem as an AU.

It was fine when it first came out. But now I get lots of clicks and crackles.

This is on iOS9 with an Air2 so it should be fine. Anyone else getting similar?

for me it depends on the host, I've been getting a bad performance since the isem AU update with isem inside Multitrack Studio but playing with isem inside GarageBand I haven't encountered any troubles, the same patches that make isem crackle in MTS are fine inside GarageBand and performance it's a lot better. The iOS version hasn't matter for me. right now I'm on 9.2.1 but when the isem update came out I think I was on 9.0.2

• UPDATE

I recently found a Facebook group that periodically updates such a list which includes both apps that so happen to function as AU plugins as well as apps which can only be used as AU plugins.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1704410769839550/

Just send in your "join" requests and be cool.

• I avoid FB, and I know many others who do as well.

• I don't think votan telepathy has an iOS AU just a Mac one that can be controlled from the iphone/pad.

• Yamaha's new freebie FM essentials - though on,y the 10 built in presets.

• DDMF just released an AU EQ, which I'm about to buy. I have their reverb and it's excellent! I'm not sure why their stuff isn't getting more buzz; these are fantastic plugins at a fraction of their desktop prices.

• @Tovokas said:
    DDMF just released an AU EQ, which I'm about to buy. I have their reverb and it's excellent! I'm not sure why their stuff isn't getting more buzz; these are fantastic plugins at a fraction of their desktop prices.

I think more buzz comes from synths. If they did an AU synth they'd be immediately on the map...which would raise the profile of their effects

• edited July 2016

If you're on FaceBook you can join this group I created:
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/1704410769839550/

2016.07.21 iOS AudioUnits (AUv3)

AU HOST
    AUM (Kymatica) *instruments & effects
    Cubasis (Steinberg) *instruments & effects
    Ferrite Recording Studio (Wooji Juice Ltd) *effects only
    GarageBand (Apple) *instruments only
    midiSTEPS (Arthur Kerns) *instruments only
    modstep (AppBC) *instruments & effects
    MultiTrackStudio (Giel Bremmers) *instruments & effects
    Twisted Wave Audio Editor (Twisted Wave) *effects only
    Twisted Wave Recorder (Twisted Wave) *effects only
    zMors Modular (mobile only) *instruments & effects

INSTRUMENT PLUGINS
    BASSalicious (MIDIculous LLC)
    Enkl monophonic synth (Klevgränd Produktion AB)
    FM Essentials (Yamaha)
    iSEM (Arturia)
    KQ MiniSynth (Ryouta Kira)
    NS1 (Nikolozi Pty Ltd)
    Ruismaker (Bram Bros)
    Viking Synth (Blamsoft, Inc.)

EFFECT PLUGINS
    6644 equalizer by DDMF (Christian Siedschlag)
    Buttercup Bitcrush (Timothy Barraclough)
    DC-9 Overdrive (Blamsoft, Inc.)
    Envelope AU Reverb by DDMF (Christian Siedschlag)
    Esspresso de-esser (Klevgränd Produktion AB)
    F-16 Filter (Blamsoft, Inc.)
    frekvens (Erik Sigth)
    Korvpressor (Klevgränd Produktion AB)
    MicSwap (Future Moments)
    MicSwap Pro (Future Moments)
    Phlox Phaser (Timothy Barraclough)
    PressIt multiband compressor (Klevgränd Produktion AB)
    Remaster (Audioforge Labs Inc.)
    Resampler (Blamsoft, Inc.)
    RP-1 (Kai Aras)
    SquashIt (Klevgränd Produktion AB)
    Svep phaser, flanger, chorus (Klevgränd Produktion AB)
    Voice Rack: FX (TC-Helicon)
    Zero Chorus (Blamsoft, Inc.)
    Zero Reverb (Blamsoft, Inc.)
    zMors EQ (mobile only)

Audio Unit extension requires iPad Mini 2, iPad 4, iPad Pro 1, iPhone 5s, iPod touch 6 or newer model and iOS 9.

Did I miss anything?

• Haven't checked your entire list but Votan Telepathy is not an iOS AUv3 Audio Unit. You can create patches on iOS and transfer those patches over but the only way to use them as an AU is in a desktop or laptop DAW.