Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tell Apple what you think about doing away with the headphone jack

Comments

• Apple doesn´t care what we think, apple tells us how WE should think. Apple cares how much marge they can make...
    Think different..... LOL!

• It's just the phone, I don't care. Usually people don't drop their iPads into the toilet ;)

• edited January 2016

Telling all governments start reducing oil consumptions, start building free energies for mankind, or we all gonna destroyed.

Is there a free energy technology? I think so, but those system workers don't care their own offsprings, they care what they can get advantageously at hands!

Well, before it is too late!

I don't care what Apple is doing, I care what U.S. Government is doing!

Don't show your muscles, show your passions for lives!

• Wind, water and the sun are free...

• @lala said:
    Wind, water and the sun are free...

You made me smile! :)

• Do you miss the floppy disk?

• edited January 2016

@anickt said:
    Do you miss the floppy disk?

Only the 8 inch ones...
    Actually it just occured to me that they were almost as big as an ipad!

• edited January 2016

I still don't think Apple will make this move any time soon. And if they really do it I simply won't buy a new iPhone until the headphone jack comes back. It really wouldn't make much sense to take it away. If they want to make the phone even thinner (which I don't think has any advantage but numerous disadvantages for stability, image quality, handling...) they can still make it as thin as the iPod Touch which has a mini jack. What I really don't get is how some people already say yes please, take it away, it's outdated technology! No, it isn't outdated just because it's been around for a long time. It's the standard that people use in HiFi everywhere! And there is no advantage to taking that away other than saving costs. Lightning will never be that HiFi standard and Bluetooth most probably won't be either.

• @anickt said:
    Do you miss the floppy disk?

Floppy disk was a flash in the pan, time wise. Analog headphone sockets have made it for something like 50 years. They're good. They work.

The hopeful side of me says they could put a lightening jack on there that also allowed a headphone connection without an adapter.

• There may be some benefit to this change, as the current headphone jack is not as good sonically as audio being routed out via Lightning/30-pin port.

Even a cheap interface such as the Behringer UCA202 provides a noticeable improvement in audio quality when using its own headphone output.

If the headphone port is removed, it would most likely lead to more varied and ubiquitous options becoming available for higher quality audio interfaces and DACs, which would be a good thing from the point of view of the audio creation community.

• edited January 2016

Since the basis of everything Apple has achieved since the second coming of Jobs has been "Must Create Best User Experience" + "Don't Ask Customers What They Want, Show Them," I doubt they would intentionally screw the hundreds of millions of users out there who currently own analog ear-somethings that use the venerable ol' headphone jack. Bad UX.

I think @syrupcore may be on to something, because we, the iOS musician community, already know the lightning jack passes superior audio. Joe Fruit Ninja does not. So I suspect a damned $29 ($39?) lightning to 1/8" adapter to be a more likely scenario for the audiophiles with pricey old 1/8" phones, and maybe they'll price new (improved, using Beats technology, of course!) lightning-compatible earbuds at $19 for Jenny Instagram.

I really did think the "out with the headphone in" was just the standard Apple rumor mill churning ... Hmm.

• @eustressor said:
    I really did think the "out with the headphone in" was just the standard Apple rumor mill churning ... Hmm.

I still do.

• The problem I have with removing the 3.5mm headphone jack is that I use my iPhone as an effects unit with my hardware synths. I go synth->iPhone->headphone jack to mixer. If they remove the headphone jack, I would hope there would be some way to go both in and out of the iPhone.

• @busker said:
    There may be some benefit to this change, as the current headphone jack is not as good sonically as audio being routed out via Lightning/30-pin port.

Even a cheap interface such as the Behringer UCA202 provides a noticeable improvement in audio quality when using its own headphone output.

If the headphone port is removed, it would most likely lead to more varied and ubiquitous options becoming available for higher quality audio interfaces and DACs, which would be a good thing from the point of view of the audio creation community.

I plugged my headphones in via a DAC (part of my new microphone) and the result was night and day in comparison with the same headphones in the iPad headphone jack. A few people have mentioned the Behringer UCA 202 as a cheap way to get access to the digital out but I noticed a report on the new AudioQuest DragonFly http://www.whathifi.com/news/audioquests-new-dragonfly-usb-dacs-work-phones-and-tablets
    and may wait to see how that gets reviewed.

• The reason why it sounds better through lightning has nothing to do with the mini jack. It's because the dac isn't as good as the external ones which people would always have to add with an adapter to be able to listen to music anywhere. They could include a higher quality dac in the iDevices to get similar sound quality as with the digital lightning port.

• I'm down wit it if theres wireless charging!

• Do you know how slow wireless charging is?

• Faster than no charging?

• edited January 2016

Wireless charging is way overrated. It's much more efficient to charge wired. Did you ever drive in a car using gps while listening to music on the iPhone for several hours (through mini jack of course)? It uses a lot of power and couldn't be charged sufficiently by wireless charging. Anyways, I will wait and see what they will do with iPhone 7 and not get too excited about this rumour.

• DebDeb
    edited January 2016

You could still charge with the cable...What's wanted is to use the lightning port and hold a charge...sounds like a slow step in the right direction...

• I don't care, I use the HRT iDSP anyway

• @Deb said:
    Faster than no charging?

• @Kaikoo said:
    Telling all governments start reducing oil consumptions, start building free energies for mankind, or we all gonna destroyed.

Is there a free energy technology? I think so, but those system workers don't care their own offsprings, they care what they can get advantageously at hands!

Or how about showing a passion for something other than rhetoric?

@lala said:

Yeah, and maybe people could ride unicorns to work. What? Didn't you know that when all the nations resolve their differences unicorns come out from hiding?

• edited January 2016

@1P18 said:

Yeah, and maybe people could ride unicorns to work. What? Didn't you know that when all the nations resolve their differences unicorns come out from hiding?

yeah and some countries that don't life behind the moon ditch atom energy and burning Fossil fuel. Have fun chasing your unicorns. Greetings from Germany and smell the coffee. :wink:

1.jpg 31.1K
  • @1P18 said:

@Kaikoo said:

Or how about showing a passion for something other than rhetoric?

@lala said:

You are too naive! The technologies were too matured at present! Just those who has the powers to control those (we) do not have access of those powers for changes. We took our conveniences as granted without conscious endeavors. Anything made by petroleum by-products should be banned at massive scale! That is how to cure the Earth climate and environments! We are the parasites to planet Earth.

• @Munibeast said:
    The reason why it sounds better through lightning has nothing to do with the mini jack. It's because the dac isn't as good as the external ones which people would always have to add with an adapter to be able to listen to music anywhere. They could include a higher quality dac in the iDevices to get similar sound quality as with the digital lightning port.

THIS. I still cringe whenever I see people recording from the headphone out instead of going with a soundcard, the difference is huge.

• edited January 2016

an external soundcart isn't very practical with iPads
    it makes them none mobil devices
    personaly I just record on the iPad itself
    no ad/da involved :)
    to monitor what i am doing the headphone out is sufficient
    I don't want to ditch my sony headphones and I don't want adapters
    I don't want headphones that I can't plug into the mac or the other stuff
    for listening only purpose bt le should be ok, if u just press play no one cares about latency

again its just the phone
    no one said apple is killing the headphone jack everywhere
    its just about getting the phone waterproof - ppl tend to drop them in the toilet

• @lala said:
    an external soundcart isn't very practical with iPads
    it makes them none mobil devices
    personaly I just record on the iPad itself
    no ad/da involved :)
    to monitor what i am doing the headphone out is sufficient
    I don't want to ditch my sony headphones and I don't want adapters
    I don't want headphones that I can't plug into the mac or the other stuff
    for listening only purpose bt le should be ok, if u just press play no one cares about latency

again its just the phone
    no one said apple is killing the headphone jack everywhere
    its just about getting the phone waterproof - ppl tend to drop them in the toilet

I hope they include a hydrophone for field recording then ;)

• The mini jack doesn't necessarily make it less waterproof. As long as it's sealed around the jack it should be sufficient for the occasional water accident. Or you could put a plug in or put it in a waterproof case.