Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Words of the week

edited December 2015 in Support and Feedback

I’ve often noticed that as the time passes by, a majority of discussions centre around a small handful of apps that have a currency or “buzz” at the present time. As time trudges on, the buzz varies, and what was talked about a month or so ago is forgotten, buried, occluded. New ones take the buzz. Don’t look back, you can never look back.

I’ve often thought it’d be a pleasing bit of decoration and superfluous ornamentation to have something that resembles a mini tag-cloud, except it’s not actually a tag-cloud, as nobody actually tagged anything, and it’s not as extensive, say, only three or maybe five words at the most. A top five. Displayed somewhere.

The main product or output of this process would be to leave behind a trail, or timeline, of what was being talked about, when, and for how long it preoccupied us. The timeline could be a permanent little page that allowed people to quickly scan back through time and see links to prominent pertinent discussions sprouting off of those words of the week. It only really needs to be harvested each week, even if the “tag cloud” may itself change dynamically. And it only really need be three or at most five words, because the history trail shouldn’t want more than a handful of words at any one position in time.

It would give a good perspective of how old a thing is, to a newcomer, and when it was the talk of the town, and where the information lives, that arose from those discussions. It might also satisfy some sort of vanity within our own perception making it seem like the passage of time adds up to something meaningful or significant.

Comments

• edited December 2015

@u0421793 I think this is a BEBOT lovely idea for lots of different BEBOT reasons, not least of which BEBOT because one of the things I enjoy BEBOT here in Appland is going back BEBOT to 'first loves' and either feeling that flush of BEBOT excitement again or wondering BEBOT what the hell I was thinking of (while also realizing how far BEBOT we/I have come). I suppose this kind of initiative might be open to BEBOT some kind of manipulation of abuse out there in the real world, but thankfully BEBOT not here...

• I wouldn't be surprised if Google has an aggregation tool for this purpose already.

• edited December 2015

I keep going back to the long forgotten 'no longer on the iPad' apps and have to say each and every time I re-experience the original experience and re-delete the app within a day at the most whole muttering: 'aha, that's why I deleted it then'. Of course there are exemptions such as Samplr which never got re-deleted after the first re-download.

I think often it could be something as simple as user's way of doing things not matching the inventor's way of doing things. I've just re-downloaded drumperfect prompted by a thread about Drumperfect pro. Goes with out saying it no longer is on my iPad.

• edited December 2015

Yes. For example, the words of the week over the past week could be fished out of conversation, on a statistical mode or mean aggregation…

blah blah Link blah Cream blah Modstep blah DrumPerfect Pro blah Geoshred blah Christmas blah etc.

… previous weeks it might be …

blah Fugue Machine blah iDS-10 blah Auria Pro blah Patterning etc.

… In times past all you heard was …

blah Gadget blah Gadget blah Gadget blah Module blah

…that sort of thing. Each week or fortnight seems to have a characteristic buzz. I propose that this is useful, and be documented, both for the now and for our posterities, the latter of which can act as a jumping off point for historical searching and/or finding.

• edited December 2015

He is the guy seeking for a meaningful life! Who doesn't?

Perhaps we are playing Harmony Voice, You, Sir, are playing iVoxel.

A bit of mismatch, iUnderstand what you said. This is the market, we have no choices on forces.

• Isn't that the purpose of the search facility?

• @Jomodu said:
    Isn't that the purpose of the search facility?

No.

• edited December 2015

@u0421793
    a kind of "institutional" memory, very interesting to me, especially as I work in a huge urban school district which, like many American institutions, utterly lacks a memory. @Kaikoo's mention of market force is apt, without a memory, (history) we are just bobbing along on the market stream.

This makes think of @Alexandernaut, gifting codes on another thread currently, including the brilliant Fugue, as another couple of threads chatting (me kinda gushing again) about the arp-er Cream. Took a minute but I remembered another brilliant app from @Alexandernaut, Arpeggionome Pro, a crazy cool iPad-purpose built arp app, (that he actually gifted me, app cool, and dude so cool). Sometimes I feel like a fly circling inside a room, continuously surprised at each turn, because the time it takes to complete the circuit exceeds my attention span.

• @u0421793 said:
    I’ve often noticed that as the time passes by, a majority of discussions centre around a small handful of apps that have a currency or “buzz” at the present time. As time trudges on, the buzz varies, and what was talked about a month or so ago is forgotten, buried, occluded.

kind of related???
    i reinstalled Nanostudio yesterday

• Wish I could +20 this. I searched about and don't see a vanilla plugin or Google hack that would do it for us.

Don't think it would be that hard to do but algorithms like this require a lot of tuning, some of it on going. The most common words in any given week's set of forum posts will be plain English words, not app names. Could try to filter the results by a given set of app names (say the compatible apps list) but users don't always use the exact name (midisteps, MIDI steps, midiSteps?).

Then there are the other sets of 'keywords' that, I think, belong on a historical view like this: operating systems, devices, technologies (midi, link, btle)... All that stuff has to be managed/massaged/updated too.

Even with solid filtration, false positives always pop up. More tuning.

It would be a fun project but I think it's entirely down to the AB team as they're the only ones with forum database access. And, even though I think this would be a wonderful thing to have around, they probably have other ideas for the best way to spend their development time (and we'd probably agree with most of them!).

• INTERN! WE NEED AN INTERN!!