Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Feature request: Record the different audio streams in Audiobus for external usage (Ableton, ...)

I know, Audiobus is meant to be more of a „routing“ app, than a DAW, but I think it would be really great, if you could already record the different audio streams in Audiobus itself. Simply record would be enough maybe already. Then with export options for Ableton Live, Cubasis, Auria, Dropbox and so on for further editing.
I think you can already record several audio streams with Loopy, but it would be much easier of course, if that's integrated in Audiobus itself already. I would pay some € for an In App Purchase for such a feature, I guess a lot of others too?

Comments

• I think the forthcoming 'Kymatica Mixer App' will fill this void as it will record all attached IAA-Generators/Instruments as separate files directly into AudioShare and from what I can see it's geared towards live-usage.

Cubasis already creates a track for all attached AudioBus apps so recording each 'app' onto a separate track is already possible. Getting them all in sync is another issue though. (Don't have AuriaPro yet, but I suspect it does something similar).

For me I'd rather see AudioBus staying a 'clean' routing/remote.app for Audio apps.

• edited December 2015

You can use Audiobus within Studiomux, which allows you to record multiple streams directly into Ableton Live.

• @magnum38 I'd have to agree with Samu that it's best to minimize what Audiobus does and if several DAWs including Multitrack DAW can be in several input and output tracks, developing an app that routed this I/O elsewhere including whatever DAW would be a reasonable way to go. If the Audiobus team did decide to take on the task of creating a multitrack recorder with the export options you've indicated, it'd need to be a seperate app so that the functionality of Audiobus isn't compromised by functionality people may not want or need all the time.

I think it will be interesting to see what the new Kymatica mixer provides as it may provide you with what you're seeking.

• edited December 2015

I just did an AB / Link session with Elastic Drums, Gadget, Patterning and Poseiden (driven by Fugue Machine) with Echo Pad and Emo Chorus on my Ipad Air all being recorded to four individual tracks in Auria Pro at the same time for about an hour with only one minor recoverable glitch at the halfway point, where a couple apps dropped out of AB. Listening after, the sync is truly fantastic with no recording glitches and it was really simple in Auria Pro to select all the tracks and just slice the beginning off and line them up on the grid.

Tomorrow I am going to try the same thing but with two ipads at once and then dump all the tracks to Samplitude on PC for editing. I am so excited by this new workflow! i have next week off and can't wait to crank a bunch out! :smiley:

• @asnor said:
    You can use Audiobus within Studiomux, which allows you to record multiple streams directly into Ableton Live.

Ah, shame on me, I should know about that, did not know about that you can do that with multiple streams even

• @Samu said:
    I think the forthcoming 'Kymatica Mixer App' will fill this void as it will record all attached IAA-Generators/Instruments as separate files directly into AudioShare and from what I can see it's geared towards live-usage.

Cubasis already creates a track for all attached AudioBus apps so recording each 'app' onto a separate track is already possible. Getting them all in sync is another issue though. (Don't have AuriaPro yet, but I suspect it does something similar).

For me I'd rather see AudioBus staying a 'clean' routing/remote.app for Audio apps.

Ah, that sounds cool, I did not exactly know, what this mixer app will be about.

But still, I don't like to have too many apps involved. If I could do this with Audiobus already, I would prefer that and pay for that option. AB could still be a 'clean routing' app in it's core version, well if that's possible technically, but it should.

• @AudioGus said:
    I just did an AB / Link session with Elastic Drums, Gadget, Patterning and Poseiden (driven by Fugue Machine) with Echo Pad and Emo Chorus on my Ipad Air all being recorded to four individual tracks in Auria Pro at the same time for about an hour with only one minor recoverable glitch at the halfway point, where a couple apps dropped out of AB. Listening after, the sync is truly fantastic with no recording glitches and it was really simple in Auria Pro to select all the tracks and just slice the beginning off and line them up on the grid.

Tomorrow I am going to try the same thing but with two ipads at once and then dump all the tracks to Samplitude on PC for editing. I am so excited by this new workflow! i have next week off and can't wait to crank a bunch out! :smiley:

Wow, that sounds promising :) So Auria Pro works good for you? Heard different things of it. Maybe I have to check it out. Keep us updated

• @Samu said:
    I think the forthcoming 'Kymatica Mixer App' will fill this void as it will record all attached IAA-Generators/Instruments as separate files directly into AudioShare and from what I can see it's geared towards live-usage.

WoW Samu, thats a info i missed.....yeah, use mimix the last weeks more an more, but, THIS would be......yam yam!

• @magnum38 said:

@asnor said:

Ah, shame on me, I should know about that, did not know about that you can do that with multiple streams even

Yeah, you can do up to eight streams at once.