Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apogee One + iOS 9.2

Hi there.

Any of you out there with an Apogee One or other multiple input device having issues since updating to iOS 9.2?

Since installing the update I am experiencing a great deal of crackling when connected to my iPad mini 4. At first I thought it was a grounding problem but the crackling frequency changes depending on buffer size, and I've just now tested the One with an iPad mini 2 running 9.1 without issue.

Also no problems testing an Apogee Jam and an iLoud speaker with the iPad running 9.2.

Comments

• Me too. Apogee One (for ipad) / iOS 9.2 / iPad Air.
    My guitar sounds fine in Apogee Maestro app but a whole lot of crackling in Bias amp, Bias Fx and ToneStack.
    Still running fine on my iPad 2 tough (iOS 9.1).

• Glad I didn't update!

• Oh shit! I updated all devices. Will have to see if I get the same crackling.

• I managed to sort this problem out with a firmware update for the Apogee One. Though it does seem to have more signal noise than before. Can't be 100% sure about that though, maybe it's just me.

Note the Maestro iOS app seems to have a problem successfully doing firmware updates, but the Mac updater does the job.

Somewhat curiously this problem only affected the iPad. I tested it last night with my iPhone 5S which also had 9.2 on it, no issues there.

• @qaratechop
    I updated to the latest firmware 1.3.0 (already had 1.3.0 installed but i reinstalled it), still got that crackling.
    Are you on 1.3.0 or did you find a more recent firmware?

• I'm having this issue too, discovered it on the weekend after updating to iOS 9.2 on my iPhone 6.

I've submitted a support ticket with Apogee, hopefully I hear back from them soon.

• Same here. Thought it was a grounding issue then disconnected for the battery option and still the same. I think it's 9.2 due to my Samson go mic was doing the same thing but not as bad once I set it in place.

• edited December 2015

I got it too. Updating the firmware did fix it for me.

• I just checked again on all my devices and found that on the iPad mini 4 and iPad Pro the signal is nice and clean but on iPhone 6 the problem remains. So I may have to try to downgrade the phone to 9.1... Does anyone know if that's still possible?

• edited December 2015

Same here all Audo apps now unusable on mic and instrument inputs. This is affecting all app including GarageBand, Bias Fx, amplitude etc...

Using an iPad Air with Apoge One (iPad version)

I have raised a ticket with apogee: no answer yet

Ok directly thru maestro

Also tried downgrading IOS but failed

• So maybe the latest devices are all working and the ones with only 1GB RAM are affected?

• Hey folks! Is it safe to update to 9.2 now?

• edited December 2015

I've had a similar problem with Logic Pro today.

Seems the main culprit is having each App's buffer latency set too low for Apogee One to handle.

Generally you want to be at least 512 samples for 96k recording around 256 for 44.1k when working on certain CPUs. This most likely will crop up if you are recording at 24-bit, but can occur in many other situations.

Could also have a problem by having a different sample rate within the Apogee (visible through Maestro) than what is coming out of the App in question.

In Logic with Alchemy I had to raise the latency up to 1024 at 96k when fooling around with the "Dark Alien Bells" patch, since it was crackling like mad. Basically, it's choking on my Late 2014 Macbook Pro's 2.6Ghz processor. Sculpture continuously brought me issues until I brought it to at least 512.

The good thing is that the sounds that usually have these issues are ones with extreme reverb, so it is easy to spot.

That said, it's probably better to play a lead with a super fast and accurate preset so you don't perceive any lag, and then bring up the sample rate while auditioning other more expensive presets.

Anyways, just thought I'd share that and will try to find some time to experiment with it tomorrow.

• With Logic Pro X, my Apogee One works flawlessly, firmware v 1.3 (feb/2015) and buffer of 64. No complaints at all. Check out all your audio settings, @AQ808.

On the other hand, quite a few users have been experiencing iOS-specific issues with all One's audio ins. This seem to be happening only with iOS9.2, and that is holding me back from updating - I'm on 9.1, where the Apogee One works like a charm. Waiting for a proven solution before updating.

• Have a support ticket at apogee and am waiting for their answer.

• That means: no, not safe to update yet. Thank you for the info, @Munibeast!

• edited December 2015

@theconnactic said:
    With Logic Pro X, my Apogee One works flawlessly, firmware v 1.3 (feb/2015) and buffer of 64. No complaints at all. Check out all your audio settings, @AQ808.

I'm on the same firmware.

I'm only finding this to be true for when recording audio direct. I'm not finding it the case for when using certain plugins.

So, make a new project, in preferences > audio > devices set the buffer to 64, and in preferences > audio > general set it to 24-bit recording, and in project settings > audio set to 96k.

Then add Alchemy as a software instrument and then find Dark Alien Bells.

Keep in mind the Apogee would need to be set to 96k as well.

It should start crackling immediately when playing.

Sweep to the Reverb on the Performance pad and it should only get even worse.

Unless of course you have a super performant CPU.

• Well, I have :) Must be that, then...

• @theconnactic said:
    Well, I have :) Must be that, then...

What do you have, I might need to upgrade.

• iMac 27-inch, late 2013, 4.0 GHz i7, 16 GB of RAM.

• P.S.: with a session open in LPX with the settings you described, playing guitar using the built-in amps, stomps and pedals, monitoring in real time: everything running real smooth.

• edited December 2015

Yep, that will do it.

The best portable processor on the 15" macbook pro is 2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz

Which would be better for me, but I think you likely still have it better.

I'm betting that laptop would run hot!

• edited December 2015

Some Alchemy patches are really heavy, and will cause trouble with 96K if you add a few. Nothing to do with the Apogee One though: I would guess that yours is working perfectly, and what you need is a faster Mac. EDIT.: which you had already figured out.

• Any news? Happy new year everybody!

• @theconnactic said:
    EDIT.: which you had already figured out.

Thanks for saying that.

You nearly had me convinced that Apogee had some kind of magic trick up its sleeve, so I tried it a bunch of different ways.

It did give me a chance to master all the settings though.

• @theconnactic said:
    Any news? Happy new year everybody!

Still no reply from apogee ticket I raised on 18th December. Positive Grid have released an update to BiasFx but it has made no difference.

If you have an apogee one my advice is DO NOT UPGRADE TO LATEST IOS. I NOW HAVE NO WORKING INPUTS AND NO SIGN THAT ANYONE IS THAT INTERESTED IN FIXING THIS ISSUE

• Awful! More than 15 days and no answer: this is unbelievable crappy customer support!

• I have exactly the same issue. Upgraded to 9.2 and apogee one on iPad Air is crackling like mad on all programs.
    It's been a few weeks since I contacted Apogee and no reply to my ticket yet either.
    At least I'm not the only one.
    Not doubt someone will be looking at this but the holidays don't help....
    Auria were very helpful but sadly all advise from them didn't help. Don't know what possessed me to update after the trouble iOS 9 gave me first time round.

• I have the same issue as well, but, only for applications using sample rate of 44.1K, which is the case of most of the audio applications.
    If you switch the One sample rate to 96K, for example, it works correctly. Use, for example, the Multitrack application which allows you to change the sample rate.
    Create a 96k project in Auria works as well.

• Which multitrack app are you talking about? Normally I go via audiobus from jamup pro to Auria.