Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus to feed into video recording?

Hello all,

Can audiobus be used to feed the audio from Amplitube (including backing track) into either the iPad movie capture or e.g. iMovie?

I'm hoping to record some playalong vids and it'd be great to use these apps.

Thanks in advance.

Burt

Comments

• edited May 2013

If you have a Mac, then the easiest way to record direct audio on your iPad is to run an ordinary jack cable between the iPad and Mac and record the audio feed into Garageband (Mac) as an audio track. You can then move your video to the Mac, take the recorded audio feed and sync it up with the video in iMovie (Mac).

• This should be much easier than going out and buying a PC or Mac! ;-)

Can't you output the recording into iOS GarageBand via audiobus and then import a GarageBand song into an iMovie for iOS project? GarageBand seems to play pretty well in the background on my iPad 2. I don't have iMovie, so I don't know if it could record a video at the same time as all your Audiobus apps running in the background.

Hmm... Sounds like a challenge for @thesoundtestroom!!! [imagine some reverb and echo on that last bit]

• If you happen to have Auria, you can pay $5 I think for the video plugin

• ^ I had not heard of that. Here is the description:

http://auriaapp.com/Products/auria-tour
    Video Playback

Available as an optional add-on purchase in the Auria Store, Auria can load a video and play it back in sync with a project, and then export a new version of the video which includes the project audio. The video preview window will stay locked with Auria’s timeline, and the video preview will even “scrub” in-time with the timeline cursor. The video’s main stereo stream can even be imported to its own audio track for further manipulation.

• Thanks for the replies. I don't have a Mac, just a PC laptop and the iPad.

Not sure I'm prepared to fork out on Auria, nice as it looks.

If nobody else has any suggestions I'm worried I'm going to have to record me playing over my stereo and amp. Eeeeekk.

Burt

• Meteor also has a video plugin. I have not tried it. But it has one.

• @Burtdaboy just get imovie set up your camera for vid and record your audio into your ipad at the same time. Then open up your vid in iMovie and import your tune into IMovie then you can see both wave forms and its fairly easy to line em up. Then you can mute the audio in the vid. I usually record video with my iPod and audio on the ipad..

• I'm surprised there isn't a video editing app on the bus yet.

• Are there videos of this feature for Auria? Didn't see any in a YouTube search.

• I've just tried setting Amplitube to record and then switching to the video app but it didn't like it. I also tried the other way around but the video just stopped recording.

• Hello to all. I'm very interested in this question. Is there any update about be able to record the sound of a processed guitar with de iPhone/iPad camera App?
    Actually, I'm using an external guitar multi effects via an iRig Pro interface to the input of the iPad Air. This is the only way to record videos with good guitar sound for my Riffs (riffstory.com).
    But I'd like to use only the iPad with any application such as BIAS, Amplitube, etc.

Thanks in advance

• Not a direct solution, but possibly of interest: TC-Helicon's Voice Jam Studio - it makes a video of you making a video of you making music.

• Sounds very interesting. Thank you!

• Record audio in audioshare and export it into iMovie. Disable the audio from video as someone pointed before. It will be great to have some video app with AB input too...
    For multiple cameras and live video I'm dealing with MultiCam and switcher pro but these don't work in background mode so you will need an iDevice only for recording.
    Another solution is recording with your desktop the video and export it to iMovie to mix it with the audio recorded with Audioshare (or similar)

• Have checked on pc, but lightning USB into pc with QuickTime doing a movie recording should do the trick

• @Dubbylabby said:
    Record audio in audioshare and export it into iMovie. Disable the audio from video as someone pointed before. It will be great to have some video app with AB input too...
    For multiple cameras and live video I'm dealing with MultiCam and switcher pro but these don't work in background mode so you will need an iDevice only for recording.
    Another solution is recording with your desktop the video and export it to iMovie to mix it with the audio recorded with Audioshare (or similar)

Thanks. I'm trying different options, but all of them need a multiple steeps and different Apps.

Still looking for an easy one-app video solution.

Thanks to all ;)

https://riffstory.com

• Not sure that it helps but I just saw this maybe of interest to someone

Narrator Video Edition by 4Pockets.com
    https://appsto.re/gb/nFp00.i

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Not sure that it helps but I just saw this maybe of interest to someone

Thanks!

• @Riffstory said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Thanks!

Have you tried this yet Riffstory? I'm in the same boat man ...been searching for a LOOOOOOONG time for ONE app that allows you to route audio in (via AB or IAA) from a gtr sim app and record a performance video at the same time.

There are literally THOUSANDS of guitar players that would buy this app immediately because everyone is making "jam videos" on the web. like me ;-)

Maybe it's technically not possible?

• @Riffstory said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Thanks!

I just reread the description of that app ...unfortunately it ONLY records audio ... no video

• @u0421793 said:
    Not a direct solution, but possibly of interest: TC-Helicon's Voice Jam Studio - it makes a video of you making a video of you making music.

This might actually work!!!! If you you use AB or IAA with Jamup ... then load your backing track into on loop ... have another loop record your guitar playing against the backing track loop and record video inside the app ...

That should work right? Do I spend $9.99 to find out?!?!?!?!? ;-)

• edited December 2016

@jfu222 said:

@u0421793 said:
    Not a direct solution, but possibly of interest: TC-Helicon's Voice Jam Studio - it makes a video of you making a video of you making music.

This might actually work!!!! If you you use AB or IAA with Jamup ... then load your backing track into on loop ... have another loop record your guitar playing against the backing track loop and record video inside the app ...

I have the same dilemma. And the problem with TC-Helicon's Voice Jam Studio is that the resulting video is a small window with controls around. Not a full screen video. (I think so. Not sure about this)

Anyway. Merry Christmas to all. And thanks for the support. ;)

• @Riffstory said:

@jfu222 said:

@u0421793 said:

I have the same dilemma. And the problem with TC-Helicon's Voice Jam Studio is that the resulting video is a small window with controls around. Not a full screen video. (I think so. Not sure about this)

Anyway. Merry Christmas to all. And thanks for the support. ;)

I figured it out man!!!!!

So I bought the app and YES you can use a any amp sim and backtrack to creat a guitar performance video.

So the last issue was getting rid of the control pane on your video.

I downloaded an app call VIDEO CROP.. and it does exactly what you think it would do... you basically crop out the control portion of your performance video and done!

By the way you can also save to your camera roll.

So yes it requires one more app.. but you can now make guitar videos with your favorite amp app.. without anything else but an iPad and your guitar

• @jfu222 said:
    I figured it out man!!!!!

So I bought the app and YES you can use a any amp sim and backtrack to creat a guitar performance video.

So the last issue was getting rid of the control pane on your video.

I downloaded an app call VIDEO CROP.. and it does exactly what you think it would do... you basically crop out the control portion of your performance video and done!

By the way you can also save to your camera roll.

So yes it requires one more app.. but you can now make guitar videos with your favorite amp app.. without anything else but an iPad and your guitar

Wow! That was very helpful. Thank you man. ;)

• hi any update on apps that will do a good job of this? I am interested and have spent hundreds on apps over a longtime to achieve this but still am resorting to post production syncing.
    I cant believe an app that does this still doesn't exist!

• Positive Grid has/had an app called Pickup. I think it was free. I have it but haven't used it yet (buried deep in an "apps I'll catch up on someday" folder). I just popped it open and it appears to work. Accesses your camera and allows you to record via IAA using any amp sim, or any app, it appears - also allows access to your iTunes library for backing tracks. Weird thing is, it doesn't show up on the App Store. Abandonware?

Has anyone tried IK Multimedia's audio/video recording app? 7.99 US:

iRig Recorder by IK Multimedia
    https://appsto.re/us/KYLIz.i

• edited March 2017

nevermind, I missed the above post somehow :)

• Can you use any interface with the IK app? Or just IK gear?

@eustressor said:
    Positive Grid has/had an app called Pickup. I think it was free. I have it but haven't used it yet (buried deep in an "apps I'll catch up on someday" folder). I just popped it open and it appears to work. Accesses your camera and allows you to record via IAA using any amp sim, or any app, it appears - also allows access to your iTunes library for backing tracks. Weird thing is, it doesn't show up on the App Store. Abandonware?

Has anyone tried IK Multimedia's audio/video recording app? 7.99 US:

iRig Recorder by IK Multimedia
    https://appsto.re/us/KYLIz.i

• @eustressor I have the free version and have recorded several videos with it on my channel. It works out pretty good. A few updates like Exposure lock and focus lock would help but overall it has worked out well for quick app demos and such.

Actually come to think of it, I haven't actually used it on the bus.

Nevermind. I just recorded this with it using iRig in the Output slot and Xynthesizer as the input.

• Thanks guys, I played around with positive grids pickup app but they never got it working, hence removing it from the app store. It's a shame because they were trying to make the exact app we are all looking for.
    I will have a look at the irig one cheers for the recommendation :)