Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auria Pro tips and tricks

Comments

• A short interjection - the latest Auria Pro Beta (41825) fixed the problem that some AUs did not receive midi generated by midi-generating AUs.

From the 63 instrument AUs that i own, only 3 are still problematic (Volt, SquareSynth and Reslice) - i can't get these to play any sound (not from keyboard, own midi track or by midi generator).

Next stuff i'm going to test and bugreport are chains of midi generators/modificators

• @_ki said:
    A short interjection - the latest Auria Pro Beta (41825) fixed the problem that some AUs did not receive midi generated by midi-generating AUs.

From the 63 instrument AUs that i own, only 3 are still problematic (Volt, SquareSynth and Reslice) - i can't get these to play any sound (not from keyboard, own midi track or by midi generator).

Next stuff i'm going to test and bugreport are chains of midi generators/modificators

That's really fast beta progress. 60 positive Apps. Good testing @_Ki to reward the development effort and indicate where the remaining issues lie.

What MIDI Generating AU's are you focusing on for the AU instrument testing?

• @McD said:
    What MIDI Generating AU's are you focusing on for the AU instrument testing?

I use midi AUs from different devs, the latest test i used Riffer, Autony, Atom, Baseline and X0X (to enshure sending Ruismaker notes).

In a previous testing session i verified that all my midi note generating AUs work:

Atom, Autony, AU|Keys, AU|Pads, Bassline, BeatHawk (send multi channel midi), Bouncy, Cells, Collider, Fugue Maschine, Geoshred (send mpe), Gravity iFretlessBass (send mpe), KB-1, Particles , Photon (playing midi file), Riffer, Rythm, ScaleBud, StepBud, StepPolyArp(seq mode), X0X

I just start to test midi reading/modifying AUs like Arpeggio, MidiEcho, Photon(recording midi), QuanitChord, Scaler, StepPolyArpUnit(arp mode), StreamByter etc and chains of midi streams.

CC generating midi AUs (LFO, XY ...) will be inspected afterwards.

BUT it may take some time - i am leaving for a week long business meeting (in Zagreb, croatia). I take both iPads with me, but due to social events i don’t expect that i can do longer test-rounds in the evenings.

• @_ki said:

BUT it may take some time - i am leaving for a week long business meeting (in Zagreb, croatia). I take both iPads with me, but due to social events i don’t expect that i can do longer test-rounds in the evenings.

It's all very welcome and fully understandable that it may take some time. :)

I noticed on the Auria forum that it was you that originally reported the problems regarding AU plugin delay compensation. Not that I want to add to your workload, but it would be great to see how PDC is working in the latest beta's seeing as the latest public builds suggest that PDC is now working in Auria Pro.

• edited April 2019

@jonmoore sorry, what is PDC? Plugin Delay Compensation?

• PDC plugin delay compensation

• @yowza said:
    PDC plugin delay compensation

Thank you!

• @yowza said:
    PDC plugin delay compensation

Thanks, got there before me. :)

• @jonmoore Regarding PDC, i just have to transfer the AP project from my main iPad Pro with AP 2.22 over to the test iPad Air with beta AP 2.23 - sounds like interesting task to find out how to this (hopefully with AirDrop :) )

• @_ki said:
    @jonmoore Regarding PDC, i just have to transfer the AP project from my main iPad Pro with AP 2.22 over to the test iPad Air with beta AP 2.23 - sounds like interesting task to find out how to this (hopefully with AirDrop :) )

If you have Dropbox that's probably the easiest way: got to Save --> Save Project to Dropbox, then on the beta version just go to Open and there should be a tab there for Dropbox.

• @_ki said:
    @jonmoore Regarding PDC, i just have to transfer the AP project from my main iPad Pro with AP 2.22 over to the test iPad Air with beta AP 2.23 - sounds like interesting task to find out how to this (hopefully with AirDrop :) )

Thanks. Really appreciate you going to this extra effort.

• Confirmed - Plugin latency compension now works for AU plugins in Auria Pro beta 2.23 (it always worked for native plugins)

• @_ki That's great news.

• edited May 2019

Just to be clear, are there people who actually like the MIDI editor UI in AuriaPro?

AudioVeeks piano roll plug in is far better for piano roll editing in my opinion. Note selection, tool selection, grouping, moving, scrolling, etc. should all be sure and fluid. The effort put into the nondestructive tools is not commensurate with the straight editing capabilities.

Note entry may or may not be the default condition of the edit tool, you have to check it otherwise you risk peppering your edit with notes everywhere you touch. When dragging to select sometimes if I am too near the right limit of the segment the locator goes into orbit throwing me somewhere in the high empty measures. Group movement and even single note movement should be horizontal and or vertically lockable, it isn’t. If you don’t use the transpose function you risk sliding groups or single notes all over the place. It’s not really up to the standard the audio portion seeks to set.

• @AmpApps said:
    Just to be clear, are there people who actually like the MIDI editor UI in AuriaPro?

AudioVeeks piano roll plug in is far better for piano roll editing in my opinion. Note selection, tool selection, grouping, moving, scrolling, etc. should all be sure and fluid. The effort put into the nondestructive tools is not commensurate with the straight editing capabilities.

Note entry may or may not be the default condition of the edit tool, you have to check it otherwise you risk peppering your edit with notes everywhere you touch. When dragging to select sometimes if I am too near the right limit of the segment the locator goes into orbit throwing me somewhere in the high empty measures. Group movement and even single note movement should be horizontal and or vertically lockable, it isn’t. If you don’t use the transpose function you risk sliding groups or single notes all over the place. It’s not really up to the standard the audio portion seeks to set.

While there are apps whose MIDI editing conventions I like better than Auria Pro's (such as Xequence's and AudioVeek's piano roll), I don't find it terribly painful either. If i am working on a composition that is largely MIDI, I tend to do the early heavy-lifting in Xequence and then import into Auria Pro.

I do wish that it were easier to restrict movement to horizontal or vertical only movement.

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

It’s not my favorite piano roll by far, but once I get back into the groove of it, it’s not that bad. The only thing that consistently throws me off and irritates me is how you need to tap right on the beginning of a grid cell to get the note there with quantize on. I think most piano rolls place the note at the beginning of the cell no matter where you touch in it.

I can live with that though. But have taken to developing ideas in Atom then dumping them to the piano roll when I want to apply the midi groove stuff.

Recent realization of serious pattern mangling on changing project tempo have made me decide to put Auria Pro largely aside for sequencing stuff for now though. It seems best to use something like Xequence for that at the moment.

• I give up.. I’m just gonna buy a Squarp..

• I need advice on how to use more complex setups with midi AUs...in cubasis it's easy with 3 insert slots for midi but how am i supposed to do (for exampel) Rozeta Collider -> Quantichord -> Instrument?

Also looking for the best way to overlook Aurias midi editor.Rock solid timing,lightweight and mainly
    to use for some chords and longer sustained notes.Atom Piano roll?Looks good but maybe a bit overdose for my needs.Also looking at stepbud or even steppolyarp.Would be nice to
    have something with more"jam" aspect.

• @Crabman said:
    I need advice on how to use more complex setups with midi AUs...in cubasis it's easy with 3 insert slots for midi but how am i supposed to do (for exampel) Rozeta Collider -> Quantichord -> Instrument?

Also looking for the best way to overlook Aurias midi editor.Rock solid timing,lightweight and mainly
    to use for some chords and longer sustained notes.Atom Piano roll?Looks good but maybe a bit overdose for my needs.Also looking at stepbud or even steppolyarp.Would be nice to
    have something with more"jam" aspect.

AP has 4 insert slots for AU. Are they not working for you?

• edited August 2019

Oh,i did only try the first slot to be honest.Somehow i'm still captured in the"the channel inserts are for audio plugins" workflow.Although i know i can (or have to) use it for midi fx as well.So i can freely mix audio with midi plugins in the channelstrip inserts?

edit:BUT i have to choose the midi input for an instrument and there is only one selectable in the dropdown menu.Do i choose the last midi fx in the chain then?

• You don't have to change the default midi input settings. The inserted effects automatically process the input. The settings let you override the normal handling

.> @Crabman said:

Oh,i did only try the first slot to be honest.Somehow i'm still captured in the"the channel inserts are for audio plugins" workflow.Although i know i can (or have to) use it for midi fx as well.So i can freely mix audio with midi plugins in the channelstrip inserts?

edit:BUT i have to choose the midi input for an instrument and there is only one selectable in the dropdown menu.Do i choose the last midi fx in the chain then?

• wow,the possibilities are endless.I got already that you can still route midi from any other channel to it as well.My head just exploded :) And everything (multiple rozeta bassline and xoXs ) runs very tight without a hiccup.Yesterday i was so disappointed about cubasis regarding sync but now the sun shines again,thanks!

• edited May 2020

BRAIN FREEZE HELP

So, I haven't automated FX in Auria for ages and ages and want to add a little Turndao to a piece and can't get the 'Write' button to start writing. This is what I have:

And when it's rolling and I start to move one of the dials a little, nothing happens with the 'W' button to indicate action. The SOUND is changing just fine, it's just not being recorded. I seem to remember there being a simple trick/push the right button/enable the wotsit, but it has slipped my addled head altogether. I did try hitting the record button up top (duhhh...) but of course was then listening through the mic etc. Any clues?

EDIT: It bugs me (of course :)) that I'm missing something here, because the same audio file in Cubasis works immediately and simply...Grrr. User error no doubt.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

BRAIN FREEZE HELP

So, I haven't automated FX in Auria for ages and ages and want to add a little Turndao to a piece and can't get the 'Write' button to start writing. This is what I have:

And when it's rolling and I start to move one of the dials a little, nothing happens with the 'W' button to indicate action. The SOUND is changing just fine, it's just not being recorded. I seem to remember there being a simple trick/push the right button/enable the wotsit, but it has slipped my addled head altogether. I did try hitting the record button up top (duhhh...) but of course was then listening through the mic etc. Any clues?

EDIT: It bugs me (of course :)) that I'm missing something here, because the same audio file in Cubasis works immediately and simply...Grrr. User error no doubt.

Auria only records from AUs that report touch information. Some AUs provide it and some don’t.

• edited May 2020

@espiegel123 I was beginning to wonder about that. I suspect my puzzlement is that a few years ago I was using Turnado as an FX in Auria before AU....different horses etc.

To be fair, as mentioned, I have it working in Cubasis, but nothing like as crisply as I would like.

Thanks for the nudge.

• Why if I have a mono track, it will not send sound to a aux reverb?

If I create a stereo track and drag the mono sound file in it. It will work in the aux.

Anybody can explain?

• @ecou said:
    Why if I have a mono track, it will not send sound to a aux reverb?

If I create a stereo track and drag the mono sound file in it. It will work in the aux.

Anybody can explain?

Set up your AUX on a dedicated channel. Don’t use the AUX inputs on the Master strip. Instead create a new stereo channel and set its input to AUX 1 (or whichever) and then add your effects as inserts on that channel.

This will work, I send mono vocals to stereo channels this way all the time.

• @richardyot said:

@ecou said:
    Why if I have a mono track, it will not send sound to a aux reverb?

Anybody can explain?

Set up your AUX on a dedicated channel. Don’t use the AUX inputs on the Master strip. Instead create a new stereo channel and set its input to AUX 1 (or whichever) and then add your effects as inserts on that channel.

This will work, I send mono vocals to stereo channels this way all the time.

I will try that. When ever I use a bus to send to a track lately for and add effects, my audio gets out of synch.

• Maybe your bufferbis set too high. Try 512.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Maybe your bufferbis set too high. Try 512.

I am currently at 4096. My cpu usage seems lower with that setting. I'm on the final tweak of a mix and I need all the cpu cycle I can mustard