Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Funk Drummer by Luis Martinez

Comments

• Sounds great, just like rock drum machine. MIDI Sync makes this (and will make RDM) a totally different beast/tool for me. Are you also adding the effects to RDM?

I've never used song mode in RDM because without MIDI sync I basically only used it for quick jamming. The song mode as depicted by The Right Good Doug is the way I want every pattern based song mode to work—you say you want N repetitions of a given pattern (vs, say, DM1 where you have to drag in 4 separate instances). Plus, tempo per pattern? awesome. One question there, can you change the tempo of the song *without* changing the tempo of each song step? If not, a feature request! Actually, the dreamiest there would be two options: 1) force the entire song to a given tempo and 2) the ability to offset the tempo of the song so that you could keep tempo fluctuations intact but bump the whole thing up or down 5pm, say. 

Actually, sorry another question for you @LuisMartinez. How does song tempo relate to MIDI sync? Presumably incoming clock overrides it? Conversely, if this app/RDM are the clock master, is the tempo broadcast based on the song step? 

Another request, this time with money. :) Like I said, MIDI Sync sort of transforms the possibilities of this app for me and I would imagine a lot of other folks. The samples are great, the 'jamming' stuff is brilliant... I'd very happily pay for a multi-channel-out IAP. 
  • Does anyone know if there's an interview with Luis up anywhere that talks about how these patterns and samples were captured? And maybe the how-in-the-hell behind the jamming algorithm? Can't believe these apps are ten bucks! I read one at some point about Jesse/Pete/Drumjam and was fascinated. Would love to read the behind-the-scenes on Luis' as well. 
  • I'd very happily pay for a multi-channel-out IAP. 
    +1000

I think the cleanest way (for me anyway) would be to export the stems to Dropbox, like Gadget does, then it's a simple 1 step process to bring it all into Auria.
  • Nice. Stem export would definitely work and it's definitely clean. I'd like to see an option for save-locally-and-open-in instead of insisting on dropbox. One benefit of multi-out over stems is the ability to mix separately *and* continue to tweak the track vs create-export-tweak-export-rinse-repeat.

Also, with bus effects like compression, the stem export is going to sound different than it did all going at once. Not sure how bus effects would even work with multi-out. Bypassed I guess?  

Since we're on it, with either stems or multi-out, I'd very much appreciate being able to have both individual outs and a stereo mix out. The stereo mix out would exclude anything not assigned to an individual out. I say this because in reality I generally only want to have tracks for 1) kick, 2) snare and 3) 'everything else' but sometimes I want the hats separated. 
  • Options are nice - the only reason I would prefer Dropbox is because at this point it offers the quickest workflow.

If we take the example of Gadget: use the menu to export the stems to Dropbox, then open Auria and go to menu --> import file, multi-select the stems in your Dropbox folder and assign each to a new track. Done.

I don't know of any other method that is so quick. Using Audioshare for example means several round trips between the apps, creating new tracks in Auria etc.. It's much more of a faff. Using IAA or Audiobus is even more time-consuming.
  • edited December 2015
    @richardyot Don't get me wrong, Dropbox is awesome but how one interprets quickest may depend on how fast yer internetz are. And the size of your dropbox account! 

The steps I'm suggesting as an option would be:
    1. Menu->Save as Stems
    2. Menu->Browse Files
    3. File Browser->tap file->Open In
    4. Choose your destination (which might include apps without Dropbox support)

Save to and open from Dropbox, and even Open In, are both still sandbox hacks in my mind. What I really want to see is all apps get on board with Document Picker. Save to stems, go to your destination app and 'open from'. Done. 
  • Either. Or. Both. All.

Agree with an indepth 'Luis profile/backstory/appchat'. Maybe an @thesoundtestroom podcast series....
  • edited December 2015
    Finger near the trigger!..

Still, the only 2 things I thought would be great when I used RDM:

1) Midifile export, (speaks for itself) 

2) Pitch control for each intrument. 

.. these to add to the other suggestions/requests. 

• Great ideas...would love to see these drum apps get enhanced with all these amazing ideas. I wonder if the samples in RDM will get updated like Funk Drummer. I mean they sound great but would really love to see it go up to the FD level.
    Rock Drum Machine 4.0!!!!

I think Luis is baking the goods right now, can't wait to see the results. :p

@syrupcore said:
    @richardyot Don't get me wrong, Dropbox is awesome but how one interprets quickest may depend on how fast yer internetz are. And the size of your dropbox account! 

The steps I'm suggesting as an option would be: * Menu->Save as Stems

• Menu->Browse Files
    • File Browser->tap file->Open In
    • Choose your destination (which might include apps without Dropbox support)

Save to and open from Dropbox, and even Open In, are both still sandbox hacks in my mind. What I really want to see is all apps get on board with Document Picker. Save to stems, go to your destination app and 'open from'. Done. 

• Hmm, sounds more drum machine like than rock drummer (I know thats not real either) . Are the funk snares any good, you need a sick piccolo snare for ripping funk.
  • @KING777 said:
    2) Pitch control for each intrument. 

+1. I'd pay for that too. Particularly if it was bundled with a decay. And perhaps variable HP/LP filter per voice ( simple ala Samplr without a resonance control where 50% == no filtering, to the left==LPF and to the right==HPF). I get that part of RDM and family's appeal to many is not having to faff around with this sort of nonsense. To me, these sorts of features (features for a niche within the niche) are perfect candidates for IAPs.
  • I went ahead and bought FD. My use isn't likely to be typical, so you'll have to get whatever value you can from my comments and decide for yourself.

I have no interest in midi sync. I do have an interest in midi files. I've been exporting soloed drums out to a DAW and then converting those solo audio tracks to midi files with a groove extractor. It's a roundabout system that works well.

The outstanding value for me is the fills. By cranking the jam intensity all the way to the right, and going with the 4 bar setting, I can turn FD into a somewhat unruly, but fascinating fill-generating factory.

Some of the fills are awkward and unusable. Some of the fills are so good that I can barely believe what I'm hearing from a $10 app. It takes some work to harvest the wheat from the chaff, but I happen to enjoy the work.

I got RDM cheap back when there wasn't any simple way to record anything from it. It's improved a lot since it started. He's one of the developers that I'll continue to buy from just to support his work.
  • edited December 2015
    @Janie said:
    ...I do have an interest in midi files...

...Some of the fills are awkward and unusable. Some of the fills are so good..

Yep! Midi-file Export would ensure all fills are good. ;)

Added: Once you have tweaked them of course!

More Added: this can be done with audio, but... Long...

Great apps though!
  • Wow nice work Janie. Are you doing the conversion on the iPad?

• @Janie said:
    I went ahead and bought FD. My use isn't likely to be typical, so you'll have to get whatever value you can from my comments and decide for yourself.

I have no interest in midi sync. I do have an interest in midi files. I've been exporting soloed drums out to a DAW and then converting those solo audio tracks to midi files with a groove extractor. It's a roundabout system that works well.

The outstanding value for me is the fills. By cranking the jam intensity all the way to the right, and going with the 4 bar setting, I can turn FD into a somewhat unruly, but fascinating fill-generating factory.

Some of the fills are awkward and unusable. Some of the fills are so good that I can barely believe what I'm hearing from a $10 app. It takes some work to harvest the wheat from the chaff, but I happen to enjoy the work.

I got RDM cheap back when there wasn't any simple way to record anything from it. It's improved a lot since it started. He's one of the developers that I'll continue to buy from just to support his work.

Inspiring.
  • I'm doing the midi conversion with a VST called GrooveExtractorLite. I got it when it was free. I think that it's around $10 now from a site called Audio Gaming. I've also done some audio to midi conversions with Melodyne, which is a way more expensive option. The conversions aren't always perfect, which is one of the reasons why I've usually been soloing the drums. Another reason is that going multi-track lets me add different effects to different drums.

It looks like Auria Pro added the audio to midi feature, but I haven't upgraded yet, and I haven't heard anyone report on effectiveness of that part yet.
  • Yeah. I'm waiting for a review on that also. I have Auria 2.0 but will upgrade to pro hoping for iTunes gift card for Christmas

• Audio to midi in AP is just the Transient points etc.. It will do the job! But still, midifiles are the way!

Melodyn on iOS is one I would welcome also!
  • So, I'd really like to see features in these for live play and midi triggering of patterns.
    What I'd really like to do with an app like this or Rock Drummer is select a few loops for a song, one for an intro (one-shot) one for an A section (looping) fill in to
    B section (looping) ETC.
    ETC. and be able to trigger each of these sections via midi.

Does either this or RD offer that functionality?

If not, then feature request, or new app request.
    @LuisMartinez.

Several have mentioned this, but the first person to develop a drum app that can be triggered and looped in this fashion will, I believe, have a winner on their hands. there are pedals that sell for hundreds that do this.

People are probably getting sick of this request. :)

• Great vid Doug
  • So, I'd really like to see features in these for live play and midi triggering of patterns.
    What I'd really like to do with an app like this or Rock Drummer is select a few loops for a song, one for an intro (one-shot) one for an A section (looping) fill in to
    B section (looping) ETC.
    ETC. and be able to trigger each of these sections via midi.

Does either this or RD offer that functionality?

If not, then feature request, or new app request.
    @LuisMartinez.

Several have mentioned this, but the first person to develop a drum app that can be triggered and looped in this fashion will, I believe, have a winner on their hands. there are pedals that sell for hundreds that do this.

People are probably getting sick of this request. :)

RustyPerez, actually you can do it now with Funk Drummer.
    With Midi Control Change 32, you can change the rhythm. With CC 0, the bank.
    It's possible to have the rhythms you wanna play in the same bank, adding them to favourites ( the little star). Your prayer has been the fastest to be granted ;)

I wrote a message yesterday and wasn't published, don't know what happened...

@thesoundtestroom Thanks for the video, Doug.

Lots of requests with brilliant ideas, but the time is a problem :) First, let me update the others apps with the new features.

Talking about the price, the current is a first week introductory offer and will be increased next tuesday. Same will happened after the next update of Rock Drum Machine. 

@kobamoto Bundles will be available after the updates, but maybe now are best prices.

@Fitz I have it in mind ... maybe next year

@syrupcore Yes, incoming clock overrides it, but you can configure receive clock or send it in the midi setup.

@Tones4Christ Thanks for the nice review. Actually, RDM is using Rimshots in some accented snares, maybe you mean sidestick for soft parts. Yes, sidestick sounds will be added to RDM.

Cheers!
  • Nice. Stem export would definitely work and it's definitely clean. I'd like to see an option for save-locally-and-open-in instead of insisting on dropbox. One benefit of multi-out over stems is the ability to mix separately *and* continue to tweak the track vs create-export-tweak-export-rinse-repeat.

Also, with bus effects like compression, the stem export is going to sound different than it did all going at once. Not sure how bus effects would even work with multi-out. Bypassed I guess?  

Since we're on it, with either stems or multi-out, I'd very much appreciate being able to have both individual outs and a stereo mix out. The stereo mix out would exclude anything not assigned to an individual out. I say this because in reality I generally only want to have tracks for 1) kick, 2) snare and 3) 'everything else' but sometimes I want the hats separated. 
    this would be perfect, +1
  • Thank you Luis you are tha man!!!!!
    Your apps are awesome and thanks for the continued development. Can't wait for what's to come. :)

• Better get it before Tuesday then!
  • These apps are extreme serious yet so much fun to use. Imagine the countless hours you can jam with your iPad instead of having to bribe your drummer over and still buy him lunch and dinner...maybe even breakfast if he stays too long. :#

The price of the apps is incredible deal. Get them while the getting is good!

• edited December 2015
    Talking about the price, the current is a first week introductory offer and will be increased next tuesday. Same will happened after the next update of Rock Drum Machine. 

@kobamoto Bundles will be available after the updates, but maybe now are best prices.

Thank you for letting us know, Luis. Love RDM, looking forward to the update.
  • got it last night and have been enjoying it more than I initially thought 
  • I'm crazy about Rock Drummer and like this one even more. Syncs to Loopy tempo and adjusts to come in on one no matter when you tap play! Already loading  up my user bank. Great  app.
  • Looks like I should also get the Afro-Cuban app before the price increases. That might not be the right name, but it's still the right idea.

I want to add a little bit more about fill harvesting. I've been doing it from RDM for a while so I've just started doing it from FD. It works the same for either one. A lot of the time I just edit the audio files into useful segments that include one or several good fills..

I mentioned sliding the jam intensity all the way to the right, but that wasn't necessarily the best advice. I always send it fairly far right, but putting the slider in different places definitely gets different fills. It seems like there are sweet spots.The ability of the app to invent new fills on the fly is very useful, and entertaining, for me.

I'm definitely on board with King747 about wanting midi files if that's practical. Converting audio to midi can be iffy. I even like the iffiness of it because I like playing around with files and sound, but I'll admit that's time-consuming, and at times the conversion results still aren't what I'd like even after I've put in the time. On the other hand, sometimes I wind up making something that I like even more than what I expected to get.

Eventually I'd love to get a Roland midi drum set for unlimited physical playing, and amazing midi files. I actually think I will get a Roland set some day. For now I'm relying on virtual drummers. RDM and FD have been good additions. Now I'm off to buy the Jamaican/Brazilian app, or whatever it's called.