Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Erasing/Deleting/undoing volume automation in Auria

I used the volume control on a vocal track to increase the volume in a certain spot in the song.  Only, I wasn't happy with the amount I gave it.  I took off the R and W Read and write, clicked the undo arrow, and it undid the volume fader.  But, when I play the track, the volume fader still moves up and down like the automation is still active?  

What is the trick to getting it to stop?  

Also, what is the trick to moving the automation to a spot that sounds good?  What I mean is, I wait for the part in the song, and I move the fader up, but it's so damn touchy.  I guess just practice moving the fader?  Drawing the volume adjust in doesn't seem like it would be any easier for me.  

How do y'all do it?  But mainly, how do I un do it.  Thanks........

Comments

• Menu , Reset , Clear All Automation
    clears all recorded changes, and
    in track view, left, change from Audio to Volume to see the recorded fader movements, lines and squares, which can be adjusted. 

• edited November 2015
    There is more than one way. I'll have to look at it. But you can go into the automation track and delete the dots/points etc. 

Undo should have been enough. I'm not in it at the mo, let me know if you need more info. 
  • crzycrs said:
    Menu , Reset , Clear All Automation
    clears all recorded changes, and
    in track view, left, change from Audio to Volume to see the recorded fader movements, lines and squares, which can be adjusted. 

sweet, thank you!  I had no idea this was possible, and I've read the manual twice.  Lot a stuff in there for this feeble mind a mine.  
  • All writing at the same time. Great. Hehe
  • KING777 said:
    All writing at the same time. Great. Hehe
    I noticed that, thanks for being on top of things guys!  :smile:  
  • KING777 said:
    There is more than one way. I'll have to look at it. But you can go into the automation track and delete the dots/points etc. 

With a ' double tap/swipe ' to highlight the automation curve. In the row above the timeline tap 'Delete'.

• I think drawing it in is easier for precision.  Zoom in to the point needed and add the volume point.
  • I think drawing it in is easier for precision.  Zoom in to the point needed and add the volume point.
    Yessir.
  • edited November 2015
    Or delete.. :)
  • crzycrs said:
    Copy?
    Elaborate!
  • Ok, so I think I will give the drawing a go.  I had read in a mi xing blog or something somewhere that for volume auto the fader is usually more precise, but............I'm gonna try drawing.  

Again, thanks for the tips guys!  Appreciated......
  • edited November 2015
    KING777 said:
    crzycrs said:
    Copy?
    Elaborate!

Cut/Copy/Paste 

Entire sections of automation can be moved via Cut/Copy/Paste. To Cut or Copy a section of automation: 

1. Select the correct automation type from the track's drop-down box so that it is visible on the track 

2. Highlight across the desired automation (double-tap and swipe) 

3. Tap either Cut or Copy as needed 

4. Place the Cursor in the new desired location along the Timeline 

5. If needed select the alternate track the automation is being moved to 

6. Tap Paste to place the Cut/Copied automation in its new location
  • Sometimes if automation is too fiddly it's easier to do multing instead: slice the audio up and cut and paste the sections that need to be louder onto a new track and just move the fader up on the other track, without automation. If you have effects you need to use on both tracks then use the subgroups. 

For or sections that need to be quieter you can just slice the section and keep it on the same track but drag the top bar of the audio section on the timeline to make it quieter. 
  • Or use clip gain on a section, I do that on occasion depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. I hope that touch mode makes it into auria at some point, that will make skipping around a lot easier.
  • edited December 2015
    ...I had read in a mi xing blog or something somewhere that for volume auto the fader is usually more precise, but...

Don't overlook putting your iPad into portrait orientation. That way you have full 100mm-throw faders. Much more accurate than in landscape orientation.
  • @mrufino1 said:
    Or use clip gain on a section, I do that on occasion depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. I hope that touch mode makes it into auria at some point, that will make skipping around a lot easier.
    With clip gain you have to be quite careful with sliced regions though - since the regions are all referencing the same WAV file if you add gain to a slice every other region using that WAV will also have the gain applied unless you use the "Condense Regions" command in the Process menu to break them up into separate files. The problem with using Condense regions is that any loops that are repeated on the timeline will also become individual files so it can your project size much bigger (however if you don't use loops then it's a non-issue).

BTW what's touch mode?
  • I used to avoid fader automation like the plague, and if necessary, used drawn automation. But on a recent project and recent advice, I tried just "riding the faders." It felt much more organic. Comfortable. Enjoyable. And if you know a track needs automation, you can keep the "W" on and keep doing takes until you nail it.

I'm sure there's a place for both drawing and using faders, i.e. simple swells vs. an involved, inconsistent vocal passage. You can always try fadering it first, and then if it needs refinement, go in and play with your automation via touch points. But the point my recent advisor made was that riding the faders is a way to "play" the mix. And that's what finally settled home with me and made me want to try to do it more.

I'm also guilty of going in and chopping up my waveforms and adjusting the gain for different parts ... My "edit" page looks very much like @JohnnyGoodyear's description, "lines and lines of little soldiers standing all in a row" ... so, as @richardyot mentioned, there's always that option, too ;)

• @richardyot said:
    @mrufino1 said:

Or use clip gain on a section, I do that on occasion depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. I hope that touch mode makes it into auria at some point, that will make skipping around a lot easier.

With clip gain you have to be quite careful with sliced regions though - since the regions are all referencing the same WAV file if you add gain to a slice every other region using that WAV will also have the gain applied unless you use the "Condense Regions" command in the Process menu to break them up into separate files. The problem with using Condense regions is that any loops that are repeated on the timeline will also become individual files so it can your project size much bigger (however if you don't use loops then it's a non-issue).

BTW what's touch mode?

I've never had it affect other clips once separate it.

Touch mode means it will write automation when you touch the fader and stop writing when you let go, leaving any other automation alone, so you can revise sections. I mostly mix live shows and I don't necessarily want to work from beginning to end, but if I write automation in a song near the end the automation is in effect from the beginning of the show, so when I go to the first song there's automation written because of what I wrote at the end (if that makes sense).

• @mrufino1 you're quite right, I just tested it and you can trim a section and apply gain to it without affecting the others. Sorry for the misinformation, I thought I had tried it I the past but clearly my memory is muddled. So anyway that means you can slice the audio up on the same track and add gain to specific sections, which might be easier than automating in some cases. 
  • Wow guys, thanks for all the adivce/info!  I have a lot of different things I can try o ut to see what works best.  

eustressor,  when you say riding the fader, do you mean using automation do do so, or is there another method?  

Washboy - Portrait mode is something I often forget, I do need to take advantage of that more often. Thanks

richardyotKING777- Great points/tips thank you

funjunkie27mrufino1crzycrs - also good things to try.  Thank you  

JohnnyGoodyear - Thanks for the Yessir confirmation.  ;) .... And for all your witty comments on various posts throughout the forum.  
  • @High5denied - Yep. Turn on the "R" and "W" and play that funky mix down 'til you die ;)
  • @High5denied - Yep. Turn on the "R" and "W" and play that funky mix down 'til you die ;)
    cool, hmmm....was that a Wild Cherry reference!?  Cuz the I'd need to lay down the boogie too.  Not sure if I'm ready for that.........  lol....
  • @High5denied ;LOL - did Wild Cherry look like they were ready? Lay down that boogie!