Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best midi keyboards?

Hi everyone. Does anyone have suggestions on midi keyboards that I can plug into the iPad Air 2 and start playing (the many iOS synths I've purchased over the years) without any extra chords or wires other than the usb.

Thanks

Comments

• Need to know a few more things. Key size and amount (full or mini, 37 or 88 etc). Piano weighted or synth action? Controllers needed (sliders, knobs or pads). How portable do you want it? Do you want to play keys or enter key notes? Price range?

• edited November 2015

If a mini 37 key will do, I can definitely recommend ikmultimedia's Keys. Compared to similar keyboards (like korgs mini keys) it has 1 knob that can be programmed to any CC (and obviously have the regular pitch/mod wheels). Works either via USB or proprietary cable since it's core midi compat.

• edited November 2015

As for full sized regular 61 keys or whatever...Basically all midi controllers that doesn't cost a minor fortune, have rubbish keyboards/keybeds. Roland's Pro 800 is the only controller with decent (not great just decent) keyboard in that mid-price segment that I've come across.

So if your looking at low to mid-price range keyboards, at least make sure it has adjustable velocity curves so you have some room to adjust the keys closer to your liking. And of course that it can draw power from the iDevice (otherwise a powered USB hub is needed, or the keyboard being powered via regular DC). Other then that, they're all more or less the same trash. :)

• edited November 2015

I want to know all of the controllers people love. I don't even play keys but I like knowing about enjoyable gear.

Persuading a pal of mine that maybe a superior MIDI controller with modules or an iPad might be a better purchase than a flagship all-in-one workstation from Roland. Considering he's looking at top-of-the-line gear, I assume price can be pretty high. He's an 88 key guy playing mostly piano, probably new to MIDI mapping, so ease of use and really natural feeling weighted keys would probably catch his eye.

• IMO, workstations today are not worth it at all. Today you can buy Native Instruments midi controller and a copy of Komplete, which will give you vastly superior sounds and sound sources then any workstation, for a lot less money then a proper workstation. Obviously you need a computer with that, but still...

• @ChrisG said:
    IMO, workstations today are not worth it at all. Today you can buy Native Instruments midi controller and a copy of Komplete, which will give you vastly superior sounds and sound sources then any workstation, for a lot less money then a proper workstation. Obviously you need a computer with that, but still...

I know, and his argument is that controllers don't feel as nice to play. So that's why I'm asking...

• My fav 88 is the Casio PX5s. Good controller.

• edited November 2015

I use a Casio ctk 3200. Got it on sale for $99. At that price I could recommend it. Put the internal sounds through tonestack for decent results too. Need an extra cable for that though.
    If you're looking for cheap option I don't know you can get 61 velocity sensitive keys for less than that. The sounds are bonus.
    I did look at the Alesis VI49 for a while too. got the pads on the side with knobs and buttons up top and 2 wheels. looks nice and cheap on sale but I wasn't able to try it out, but here's a shaky youtube video with the VI61. I don't know it looks like it's worth checking out if it's got the features you need. (edit:oh just read he's got some squeaky keys now)
    Again, these are cheaper options if that's what you're looking for.

• The Korg Taktile MIDI keyboard controller has great synth keyboard action.
    http://www.korg.com/us/products/controllers/taktile/

• "Controllers don't feel as nice to play"? I hear confirmation bias. Not a recent one, but the Roland A-80 is a wonderful 88 key controller, fully weighted and configurable velocity curves selectable with patches. But not one for an iPad.

@Muzetech, assuming you want something moderately portable but with all the knobs, I enjoy my Samson Graphite 49. Or, for pure carry in a backpack, there's the QuNexus. Both can be iPad powered via USB (not at the same time though).

• Thanks for the feedback everyone. I see some good suggestions here.

To be a little more specific as @Fruitbat1919 asked, I'm looking for something that's: 25 - 37keys and can possibly be powered by the iPad Air 2' (and without a camera kit - if a powered usb hub or kit are needed please let me know). Price range would be up to $200. Maybe more but not looking to spend that much, the iPad cost enough.

@ChrisG is the keyboard you suggested powered by the iPad 

I currently own an old E-MU xboard "usb" midi keyboard but it requires batteries or pc power to work, as well as a camera kit. Was looking for something that's more plug and play for my new iPad.
  • dwarman said:

"Controllers don't feel as nice to play"? I hear confirmation bias.

His thinking, not mine! Exactly why I wanted to find a controller to rival his tastes.
  • As far as I know, if you don't want to use CCK there is not many possibilities:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigkeysmini/

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigkeys/

These can be used in conjunction with

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigpowerbridge/

to keep the Ipad charging while connected.

Also the upcoming Korg microKEY Air is might be interesting:

http://www.korg.com/us/products/controllers/microkey2_air/

All of these are minikeys.

• edited November 2015
    Is there some good midi controller like the iRig Keys 25 for the iPad (preferably compatible with the lightning port)? The size and concept of the Keys 25 is quite suitable for my needs, except it is for Macs and PCs. 

EDIT: silly me, there is already the iRig Keys Mini, that is precisely what I need. Is there any alternative to it anyway?
  • Isn't the forthcoming CME keyboard Bluetooth? Could totally have that wrong. 

I can understand wanting it to be as simple as possible but a single USB adaptor greatly expands your alternatives. 
  • Yes, CME has announced Bluetooth keys but I wouldn't hold my breath

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/xkey-air-the-bluetooth-mobile-music-keyboard#/

Looks a tad pricey, but otherwise really nice, given the time...

CCK has one major issue as it leaves the iDevice in the dark, powerwise that is.

• Muzetech said:

@ChrisG is the keyboard you suggested powered by the iPad 

The Roland? Nope. Well, I'm fairly sure it isn't. Besides, it's not core midi compatible, needs 2 active midi inputs on the desktop to have both the keys and controllers working. Prolly not the best choice if looking for a iOS only keyboard.
  • I personally use the iRig Keys  to travel and teach/play a lot and it has served me very well. I went between that and the Korg Microkey (last gen) and went with the iRig cause the Microkey didn't support a sustain pedal. The newer version has fixed this and I think the Korg Microkey Air may be the best keyboard controller with small keys - if you can live with that. I have piano playing friends that absolutely hate small keys so it's definitely not for everyone.
  • I home auditioned irig keys and microkeys 37. In terms of action, I think the korg beats the irig to a pulp. Especially painfull is the lack of travel, near the base of the keys, with the irig. For me it meant that a lot of presses did not register. I was a keyboard and piano player for the better half of 15 years, so my likes/requirement should be weighted against that. If you play with a flatter fingering or not so much towards the base of the keys, you might be fine with the irig. For me the micro korg in some ways almost lets me forget I'm playing mini keys (within reason). BTW. I believe the new generation of 37+ keys (microkey 2 and microkey air) have pedal input jack.
  • edited December 2015
    Korg Microkey has the best feel of any controller I've used. Very uhm delicate & expressive. Unfortunately a pin broke on the USB jack & mine is useless now. 

The iRig keys have a somewhat wonky velocity, it's adjustable but this doesn't fix the occassional complete-non-signal on key presses. It does have that volume knob though which can easily be assigned to an unused CC and transitioned into a cutoff control/whatever. 
  • You can use something like midiflow to remap say the mod wheel of the microkey to something else. Personally I sometimes map it to sustain. Handy for recording legato chords on the couch. Midiflow can also remap the midi channel of the microkey, which can othervise only be set with a pc application (at least with revision 1)
  • Novation.

Novation.

Novation.

and a Korg Taktile for the Kaoss pad and Gadget implementation.

• For a cheap, decent full size midi keyboard, with no knobs, the Alesis Q25 has been great for the ipad.  It takes a small enough amount of power to run off of the camera connection kit.  No wall wart.  Quickest midi keyboard I have to set up with the ipad, just the USB cord with the CCK stuck on the end.
  • If the pedal input isn't a deal breaker, for a couch/table keyboard, Amazon has the original Microkey 37 for almost a dollar a key - $39.99

http://www.amazon.com/Korg-MICROKEY25-Micro-MIDI-Keyboard/dp/B007VQIBB6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449004906&sr=8-1&keywords=microkey+25

The link brings up the 25 key version, just click the 37 key option. No idea how long it'll be this cheap, probably clearing stock for the 2 and the Air models.
  • edited December 2015

@RustiK said:

+1 for a Kaoss pad possibility:
    Alternatives:
    korg padcontrol, korg nanopad2

Edit: not to forget virtual kp's: touchable mini on an older iphone or ipad, midi learn, e.g. Auria's plugins, sugarbytes' Turnado etc. ...

• @rhcball said:
    Korg Microkey has the best feel of any controller I've used. Very uhm delicate & expressive. Unfortunately a pin broke on the USB jack & mine is useless now. 

The iRig keys have a somewhat wonky velocity, it's adjustable but this doesn't fix the occassional complete-non-signal on key presses. It does have that volume knob though which can easily be assigned to an unused CC and transitioned into a cutoff control/whatever. 
    That's definitely not the typical experience, I hope you were able to report your issues to IK's support team and have them take a look into them.
  • I have the Axiom Air Mini 32 key Midi controller. It has 8 pads, 8 rotary knobs and the feel is just right. The best part is that it fits perfectly in my laptop bag along with my iPad and it goes with me everywhere. It gets powered by the iPad Air 1 via the apple CCK. So far it has been extremely dependable. 32 keys make a huge difference for me.

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Axiom-AIR-Mini-32/dp/B009SS6A8Q

I also think Korg has released a Bluetooth mini midi controller.

• edited December 2015
    @RustiK said:

and a Korg Taktile for the Kaoss pad and Gadget implementation.

The Gadget implementation of Taktile is crap. It's a shame that both products are from the same manufacturer.