Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Thank you Developers and those musicians that make this community and art possible!

I encourage everyone to do - tutorials via video or audio. Devs feel free to do the same. In a new ecosphere, especially in a new paradigm of touch and limited menu-ing, offered by the iPad/iPhone, there needs to be a use case example of how an "instrument" can be or could be optimally played.

I often find that muddling through can lead to confusion, and a disgruntled feeling towards the developer and the app that might be better served by circumventing the TL;DR manual(s).

PS Happy Turkey day, and in all seriousness thank you all, devs and users, for making iOS a viable and vibrant music making place.

Comments

• edited November 2015

100 points. You never know who you might be helping. Yourself maybe. Got to start somewhere, after all, in the early days of the Velvet Underground, Lou Reed and John Cale had a day job playing Batman and Robin at birthday parties.

• @JohnnyGoodyear why the hell wouldn't you play Batman and Robin?! But, yeah, pay it forward and sideways. :smile:

• Lou Reed as The Boy Wonder? Might explain a few things ...

TSTR covers the "demo/tutorial/check-this-out" ground for new apps and app updates pretty thoroughly. We are lucky. Still, there's plenty of room at the table - I know @TozBourne was one of the first to drop an in depth vid run-through of then hot-out-of-the-oven iSymphonic Orchestra (which taunts me even now from it's smarmy little $14.99 sale price) on his blog. iOSMars, John Walden's written reviews at MusicAppBlog.com ... I've even thought about writing about my fave apps on an old blog that's just been collecting dust. Always room for more :)

I mean, if John Cale is Robin and Lou is Batman, we are talking a completely different career-trajectory ...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    100 points. You never know who you might be helping. Yourself maybe. Got to start somewhere, after all, in the early days of the Velvet Underground, Lou Reed and John Cale had a day job playing Batman and Robin at birthday parties.

>

"Holy Delmore Schwartze, Batman!"

• @JeffChasteen said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

>

"Holy Delmore Schwartz, Batman!"

• @eustressor -- don't let it taunt you, just buy iSymphonic already! Geez! LOL

And thanks; I have done two iSymphonic sound demos on YouTube and an app overview of BeatWave. When you do things like this you quickly learn to appreciate how much work people like Doug and Jakob at the TSR put into their (almost daily) videos.

I gotta say that joining the AB forum was one of the best, and smartest things that I've done.

• @JeffChasteen said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

>

"Holy Delmore Schwartz, Batman!"

What I'd really like to know is who the happy little boy sitting on Batman's knee is and what he's doing today. And no, I don't mean that in any weird cheap way, it's just how my story-mind works....

• edited November 2015

• @TozBourne said:
    @eustressor -- don't let it taunt you, just buy iSymphonic already! Geez! LOL

yes. great app.

I gotta say that joining the AB forum was one of the best, and smartest things that I've done.

+1

best forum for more than idevice music IMHO.

• And thanks; I have done two iSymphonic sound demos on YouTube and an app overview of BeatWave. When you do things like this you quickly learn to appreciate how much work people like Doug and Jakob at the TSR put into their (almost daily) videos.

So, Mister Toz, I see there's a Beatwave update, any thoughts? I keep thinking that the limitations (amongst the capabilities) of this app should see it being more of a songwriter than I'm making out of it so far...

• + to all.

I have made one foray into the video tutorials. It's a lot of work per minute of released video. But, basically if it helps at least one person it is worth it.

I have a couple ideas for more - like, using MiMix and the Focusrite 2i4 as a personal jam mixer wih separate house and personal monitor feeds. Though that really has to wait for the mext MiMix to clear Apple (hopefully not too much of a spoiler, you can kinda do this now)
  • And thanks; I have done two iSymphonic sound demos on YouTube and an app overview of BeatWave. When you do things like this you quickly learn to appreciate how much work people like Doug and Jakob at the TSR put into their (almost daily) videos.

So, Mister Toz, I see there's a Beatwave update, any thoughts? I keep thinking that the limitations (amongst the capabilities) of this app should see it being more of a songwriter than I'm making out of it so far...

I noticed there is an update -- something about using ones own sounds?  Alas, no time yet today to go beyond that headline.  

As to the real question, I ask one in return.  Do you like Auxy?  I find them quite similar, except for their differences.  Seriously though, this is a case of what one lacks the other has.  Now, I don't use these sequencer apps much in my regular process, but I still find them quite fun.  

As for song creation, I regard BW as quite capable; I have a BW song that I made last year included on my new, soon to be released, album.  Most of the other tracks were made with either BeatHawk or Gadget.  I'm not comparing any of the apps, just saying that BW can go pretty far.  And now, I am intrigued by the update and must find time to go ride the new BeatWave.  Give it a try, I'll be interested in any results. 

I noticed there is an update -- something about using ones own sounds?  Alas, no time yet today to go beyond that headline.  

As to the real question, I ask one in return.  Do you like Auxy?  I find them quite similar, except for their differences.  Seriously though, this is a case of what one lacks the other has.  Now, I don't use these sequencer apps much in my regular process, but I still find them quite fun.  

As for song creation, I regard BW as quite capable; I have a BW song that I made last year included on my new, soon to be released, album.  Most of the other tracks were made with either BeatHawk or Gadget.  I'm not comparing any of the apps, just saying that BW can go pretty far.  And now, I am intrigued by the update and must find time to go ride the new BeatWave.  Give it a try, I'll be interested in any results. 

I do like Auxy although it feels a little almost but not quite. I need to think about all of these puppies in a post AP world perhaps...
  • Instead of creating a new post, figured I'd search and resurrect.

I have zero skin in the game. What I mean is I do not know any devs, no contacts with anyone in this space. I am your typical average non musician no music theory consumer who grew up listening to music and at the age of 49, entered the rabbit hole of making noise. I have been in and around development all my life from dabbling into coding, implementing EMR systems in hospitals, to now PM many in my job that keeps the lights on and my stomach full. I share my mess around on YouTube and socials to inspire. I also complain, just like any other human yet I do my best moving forward to do it in a constructive way.

To every dev in this space. Thank you. You provide tools that allow this amateur to have fun and the best experience while not breaking the bank. I have no idea what you go through. And while positive comments are welcome, we know it's those few complainers who hate Tim, the ecosystem, having a bad day, or think iOS music making is silly, that make it tough on the devs psyche.

While the answer is simple to those who spread hateful comments on your review; stop doing it, we know that will never happen. We can ignore, report or in my case, do this. Show love and call those out who spread hate while wasting time.

To anyone that might be reading this who participates in such activities because a dev is not meeting your needs or making "software toys", stop. You have a PLETHORA of toys to play with. Start or continue making noise that inspires.

It's not rocket science.

• Oh, another zombie thread… wonderful (migraine headache intensifies)…

• @NeuM said:
    Oh, another zombie thread… wonderful (migraine headache intensifies)…

In this case, I am totally with you 😅😅😅