Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

StudioMux vs MusicIO ...which is better?

Comments

• Figured out the problem, the ASIO drivers specialized fir my audio interface (Lexicon Alpha) do not play nice with audio thru USB. Disconnecting my interface and using the standard ASIO 4ALL driver gets it working fairly smoothly.

Anyone know of fairly cheap audio interfaces that get along with Studiomux/Music IO?

• I can't vouch but fwiw the Steinberg UR22 has just been updated to work with iOS. :)

• edited November 2015

Decided to have another go at Studiomux tonight, and finally got it working. On a hunch, I uninstalled the software on my Mac and ran the installer again, and this time it installed the VSTs and not just the AU.

• @musikmachine said:
    I can't vouch but fwiw the Steinberg UR22 has just been updated to work with iOS. :)

Interesting, a firmware update? Where can I find it, please?

• @Accent said:
    Decided to have another go at Studiomux tonight, and finally got it working. On a hunch, I uninstalled the software on my Mac and ran the installer again, and this time it installed the VSTs and not just the AU.

First thing i do is reinstall when ish doesn't work. :)

@crzycrs Sorry meant a new version, it's the mk2: https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_serie/modelle/ur22mkii.html

• Thank you @musikmachine :)
    ... your nick name now shows up upon typing (:

• Just used Studiomux successfully for an hour, recording Guitarism into FL and then sending the audio back out to the ipad and using Turnado on the signal (Studiomux as an effect, see). Just one crash, on loading Guitarism, but when I restarted FL and reopened Studiomux (technically still Audiomux) Guitarism was loaded and it recorded fine.

Just have to remember to save often...

• Been using MusicIO in Live/Win 8 all fine, works well, just one problem, that the App auto suspends after a few minutes, can't seem to find an option to disable this and it's a real pain to re-connect, sometimes I had to quit the app sending audio to my DAW, to initialise the audio stream again. If anyone knows how to stop this auto-suspend occurring I would be very grateful.

• I have Studiomux, Musicio, and Audreio, been struggling to make Studiomux work (see Modstep), MusicIO works though the setup involved 2 tracks in the DAW. For straight playing iPad synths into- and sequencing via- Bitwig, Audreio a complete no-brainier, but involved vst purchase...

• On the MusicIO note, in case anyone would be interested, there seemed to be some confusion elsewhere on how to get iPad audio & midi into Logic via MusicIO, so I created this screencast earlier today, to quickly show how I have it connected. Some have reacted on the fact that I pick "external midi" for track 1, when most instructions say "audio". Rest assured it works exactly the same had I picked an audio track. It is just that I also want to record the midi at the same time as the audio. :)

• @hellquist
    Smooth and delicious...now can you make a demo with Surface Pro 3 running MTS for Windows, with Modstep on Air 2 clip launching and sequencing a couple 3 synths inside MTS? Pretty please...?
    I know in my heart of hearts my struggle with this is a series of compounded user errors...

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @hellquist
    Smooth and delicious...now can you make a demo with Surface Pro 3 running MTS for Windows, with Modstep on Air 2 clip launching and sequencing a couple 3 synths inside MTS? Pretty please...?
    I know in my heart of hearts my struggle with this is a series of compounded user errors...

Hehe, if you contribute with the hardware I will probably work it out. :)
    I did another screencast today with MTS, for http://appsfor.audio post), but that was only to show how to load iSEM as an AU instrument (which can be seen here: ), but I guess you have worked that bit out already in any case. :)

• @hellquist

Yep, I'm all over it MTS-iOS-wise

I'm now trying to get MTS (Windows) to dance with Modstep iOS...don't ask me why. Because it's there, I guess.
    If you fall by LA at some point I'll share my configurat'n pains.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @hellquist

Yep, I'm all over it MTS-iOS-wise

I'm now trying to get MTS (Windows) to dance with Modstep iOS...don't ask me why. Because it's there, I guess.
    If you fall by LA at some point I'll share my configurat'n pains.

Have you tried mod step via MusicIO to your DAW, I was interested in getting Modstep to use with Live this way.

• Doesn't modstep have Studiomux baked into it?

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Doesn't modstep have Studiomux baked into it?

No idea, but if it does, then it should work via that. I know it states it uses it to connect to Desktop DAWs.

• @BiancaNeve said:

This is actually just the beginning of the questions, as far as Modstep/Studiomux is concerned. One assumes from the various descriptions, that Modstep has Studiomux inside it. It doesn't. It's a separate purchase, and has to be on the device for Modstep to connect to desktop. Maybe I've got that wrong, but Studiomux channels don't appear inside Modstep unless Studiomux is installed.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@BiancaNeve said:

This is actually just the beginning of the questions, as far as Modstep/Studiomux is concerned. One assumes from the various descriptions, that Modstep has Studiomux inside it. It doesn't. It's a separate purchase, and has to be on the device for Modstep to connect to desktop. Maybe I've got that wrong, but Studiomux channels don't appear inside Modstep unless Studiomux is installed.

Oh. Thanks for the clarification

• edited January 2016

@BiancaNeve said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Oh. Thanks for the clarification

Im in the dark actually, I'm still trying to crack the Modstep-desktop DAW puzzle...which is OT on this thread, sorry for the digression

• Any one know what the difference is in terms of the ammount of tracks each app can send ?

I have Music io and it has 4 but does Studiomux have more?

• I have both and after a while I use studiomux exclusively, I like that it has an auto connect server so when I launch it on my iPad it just connects and it also seems to immediately make all midi ports visible and available on my iPad including ones coming from my Mac.

MusicIO lets you put 4 instruments per track and there are 4 tracks so a total of 16 instruments and 4 fx per track so a total of 16 fx, studiomux allows 8 instruments and and each can have its own fx. But studiomux gives you a visual interface to route the audio between tracks and a mixer. Studiomux also supports Ableton link and has a transport bar in the app.

• @Judochopjames said:
    I have both and after a while I use studiomux exclusively, I like that it has an auto connect server so when I launch it on my iPad it just connects and it also seems to immediately make all midi ports visible and available on my iPad including ones coming from my Mac.

MusicIO lets you put 4 instruments per track and there are 4 tracks so a total of 16 instruments and 4 fx per track so a total of 16 fx, studiomux allows 8 instruments and and each can have its own fx. But studiomux gives you a visual interface to route the audio between tracks and a mixer. Studiomux also supports Ableton link and has a transport bar in the app.

Thanks for the info

• edited February 2016

I've only used MusicIO, so unfortunately I can't offer any comparison, but I look forward to learning more about Studiomix. Here's what I can tell you about MusicIO....

I have used it extensively (on a Mac w/ DP) and have even done some beta testing for them. They just released a 1.5 update which addressed a lot of issues so now is probably a good time to jump in on MusicIO because it seems to be very solid in my current tests. 1.3 was solid. 1.4 introduced new features, but also a number of issues. However, 1.5 seems to have corrected all those issues. I also have to say that when I have had issues, the tech support has been spectacular. They were always very fast replying to emails and coming up with fixes.

The only real issue you might run across on both of these apps is that they might not always work perfectly with every app. For example, for a long time Korg Module only worked with for MIDI, but not audio. Acc. to MusicIO this was a problem that had to be fixed by Korg, and I wrote to Korg and they fixed it in the next update. So now Module seems to be working fine, as does Gadget and iM1. I've also used it a lot with BeatHawk, iMaschine, Animoog, Yamaha Synth Book, Magellan … can't remember them all. Seems I recall TC-11 was a little tricky. I had to quit MusicIO and launch TC-11 first, but I eventually got it working. In general almost everything has worked without problems. But if there is a specific app that you really need to use all the time, it might be advisable to ask around if it's working well with whichever audio/MIDI i/o solution you are considering.

I haven't really used iOS DAWs, and still think that desktop DAWs offer way more advantages, so can't see giving up desktop DAWs any time soon. But I have always wanted to integrate all the great iOS synths into my workflow, and MusicIO has made that dream a reality. It has now become an indispensable part of my workflow that I rely on for basically every project.

• Studiomux has worked very reliably for me.

• I also have both, and switched to Studiomux. It can also be used for OSC connections.

I'm somehow sorry to say this, I always preferred MusicIO until recently. Maybe it is equally relyable and simple to setup now, after the latest update.

• If one had Modstep would they need Stdiomux ?

• @DaveMagoo said:
    If one had Modstep would they need Stdiomux ?

If you want to use the Studiomux capabilities with apps other than Modstep than yes.

If you are asking if you need to buy Studiomux to use Studiomux capabilities with Modstep than no. It comes integrated.

• @Retzilience said:

@DaveMagoo said:

If you want to use the Studiomux capabilities with apps other than Modstep than yes.

If you are asking if you need to buy Studiomux to use Studiomux capabilities with Modstep than no. It comes integrated.

One last question, can i use Studiomux to host FX apps like Turnado on ipad to affect the sounds within say Ableton Live?

• edited March 2016

@DaveMagoo said:

@Retzilience said:

@DaveMagoo said:

One last question, can i use Studiomux to host FX apps like Turnado on ipad to affect the sounds within say Ableton Live?

(I'm not familiar with Turnado)

You can route your desktop sound to your ipad using SMux. It's quite easy actually.
    And you can put it on a channel and then put an FX on this channel.

So, it's a sounding yes.

The only thing to watch out for is the latency, if you are doing something live it can get tricky depending on your setup/hardware.

But for production where latency can be overlooked this is totally doable.

Disclosure:

I'm currently on an iPad Pro and have NOT tested audio from desktop to ipad + fx on it. The latency might be just ok.

I did however used this some months ago with DESKTOP -> IPAD (SMux + FXs) -> OUTPUT on an iPad 3 and it worked flawlessly but with noticeable micro latency, enough to get me off-tempo live.
    SMux has been updated several times since then and the iPad 3 is a fairly old hardware.

If this is critical to you, let me know and I'll try to run some tests in the next 24h and give you feedback on it.

• @Retzilience said:

@DaveMagoo said:

@Retzilience said:

@DaveMagoo said:

(I'm not familiar with Turnado)

You can route your desktop sound to your ipad using SMux. It's quite easy actually.
    And you can put it on a channel and then put an FX on this channel.

So, it's a sounding yes.

The only thing to watch out for is the latency, if you are doing something live it can get tricky depending on your setup/hardware.

But for production where latency can be overlooked this is totally doable.

Disclosure:

I'm currently on an iPad Pro and have NOT tested audio from desktop to ipad + fx on it. The latency might be just ok.

I did however used this some months ago with DESKTOP -> IPAD (SMux + FXs) -> OUTPUT on an iPad 3 and it worked flawlessly but with noticeable micro latency, enough to get me off-tempo live.
    SMux has been updated several times since then and the iPad 3 is a fairly old hardware.

If this is critical to you, let me know and I'll try to run some tests in the next 24h and give you feedback on it.

Thanks for the extra detail on this, no need to do any tests as I have the info I need but thanks for the offer and thanks again for the info.