Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Do you use multiple MIDI devices with your IOS?

2»

Comments

• @Goozoon said:
    So i dont need a icennectmidi2 or 4 ?

Plus powered hub?

• I do have
    But icinnectmidi, is it really a game changer?

• Ipad-CCK-Usb hub- USB Y split cable connected to a power bank to get rid of the "not enough power warning".

• @Goozoon said:
    I do have
    But icinnectmidi, is it really a game changer?

iConnectMidi is potentially a game changer and gives you lots more options for midi routing - especially as your gear changes. Probably not needed to get you up and running, but it's not a piece of gear too many people regret buying.

• edited October 2015

I use a Novation xiosynth - ipad connects audio/MIDI via usb camera connection- and the xiosynth has midi ports to connect to any hardware- everything works automatically without any fiddling

• @rad3d said:
    Not quite as complex as @dwarman - but for a live setup, complex enough. 5 iOS devices, 6 midi controllers.

Hi @rad3d, I am hoping to do a very similar setup to yours.
    Voicelive3, Guitar w/Fishman Triple Play (iPad for synths), OnSong (iPad to control everything)

So far I can easily control the patch changes from OnSong to VL3 via Wireless BT MIDI.

Now that I can use AudioBus with my iPad synths with my Fishman Triple Play, I would like to still control the patch changes on both the iPad (audiobus synths) and VL3 from a master iPad running OnSong or Setlist Maker.

My experience with BT and MIDI for multiple devices has been limited so if anyone here can help I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

• In my setup, I run Setlist Maker from an iPod touch via BT Midi to another iPad that connects through my IConnectAudio4 - giving me access to everything in my rig - including a 3rd iPad for Guitar/Synths and a 4th that also connects via BT Midi for lighting control.

• @rad3d said:
    In my setup, I run Setlist Maker from an iPod touch via BT Midi to another iPad that connects through my IConnectAudio4 - giving me access to everything in my rig - including a 3rd iPad for Guitar/Synths and a 4th that also connects via BT Midi for lighting control.

You’re mad. In the best way. B)

• I love peripherals and controllers.

I'm currently using:

Keith McMillen BopPad
    Keith McMillen K-Board
    Arturia MiniLab
    iRig Keys 37 Pro
    Moog EP-3
    M-Audio SP-2
    Korg nanoKontrol2
    Korg nanoPad2
    Behringer mic2USB cable
    Behringer line2USB cable
    Zoom H4n
    Anker 7-port hub

It's rare that I have more than one or two of these live at any one time. Lately I've been using the BopPad and K-Board the most.

• I also often use just one controller, sometimes two. Actually, most of the rims I jus use the device, iPad or iPhone, by itself.

I’m working on a ‘stand’ to hold my Behringer 404HD interface and two Akai MPK Minis, a LaunchControl XL and either a LaunchControl or Korg NanoKontrol 2 and iPad & iPhone simultaneously.

With a battery powered mixer and battery powered hub it will be totally portable if a bit cumbersome.

World domination to follow soon after.

• @dvlmusic said:
    I love peripherals and controllers.

I'm currently using:

Keith McMillen BopPad
    Keith McMillen K-Board
    Arturia MiniLab
    iRig Keys 37 Pro
    Moog EP-3
    M-Audio SP-2
    Korg nanoKontrol2
    Korg nanoPad2
    Behringer mic2USB cable
    Behringer line2USB cable
    Zoom H4n
    Anker 7-port hub

It's rare that I have more than one or two of these live at any one time. Lately I've been using the BopPad and K-Board the most.

Whats that look like?

• @dvlmusic said:
    I love peripherals and controllers.

I'm currently using:

Keith McMillen BopPad
    Keith McMillen K-Board
    Arturia MiniLab
    iRig Keys 37 Pro
    Moog EP-3
    M-Audio SP-2
    Korg nanoKontrol2
    Korg nanoPad2
    Behringer mic2USB cable
    Behringer line2USB cable
    Zoom H4n
    Anker 7-port hub

That is interesting and good to hear. I was looking at the K board, but some people complain it is too limited or something along that line. Glad to see you liking it.
    The Bop pad looks so awesome, would love one of those as well.

• @rad3d said:
    In my setup, I run Setlist Maker from an iPod touch via BT Midi to another iPad that connects through my IConnectAudio4 - giving me access to everything in my rig - including a 3rd iPad for Guitar/Synths and a 4th that also connects via BT Midi for lighting control.

Hi @rad3d, thanks for the response. Your setup sounds excellent! Lighting control too! Nice!

Do you have any more specifics you can share on how you set up each connection? My experience with BT MIDI is limited to 1 iOS device. Using more than 1 iOS device with BT MIDI is obviously possible but I get confused easily.

I realize I am asking for your time. I'm happy to pay a consulting fee for help.

Thanks everyone

• That is interesting and good to hear. I was looking at the K board, but some people complain it is too limited or something along that line. Glad to see you liking it.
    The Bop pad looks so awesome, would love one of those as well.

I'm not using the new K-Board Pro, I'm using the original K-Board:

I like how sensitive it is. I was contemplating picking up a Korg nanoKeys2 to compliment the others I have, but I really don't like the nanoPad2's pads - they're not nearly sensitive for finger drumming for me. When I picked up the BopPad, I really liked the playing surface, and since the K-Board was only $20 more than the nanoKeys2 I just went for it. It's the perfect companion to my extremely limited space. I'm at work now and it's sitting on my desk begging for me to jam out.

STOP TEMPTING ME K-BOARD!!!!!!!!

• @pmullady70 said:

@rad3d said:

Hi @rad3d, thanks for the response. Your setup sounds excellent! Lighting control too! Nice!

Do you have any more specifics you can share on how you set up each connection? My experience with BT MIDI is limited to 1 iOS device. Using more than 1 iOS device with BT MIDI is obviously possible but I get confused easily.

I realize I am asking for your time. I'm happy to pay a consulting fee for help.

Thanks everyone

I believe my earlier post on this thread (from a couple of years ago) included a diagram of my main connections. In that, I had one IOS device using setlist maker running to the midi in of an IConnect-MIO and the out connected of the MIO connected to another IOS device running Luminaire. My rig is similar today, except both the setlist maker and the Luminaire IOS devices now use BT Midi for their connections.

Essentially, one of my IPads running synth modules also is a BT Midi Host, and it's also connected via USB to the ICA4+, meaning I can route anything being sent to the Ipad through the routing in the ICA4, which has the ability to talk to everything - including other iPads, synth modules or controllers. Most of the actual routing is done with the ICA4.

If you aren't using something like the ICA4, you can achieve similar with MIDFlow, or possibly even Audiobus.

I'd be glad to help with more info. My initial suggestion would be to diagram what you are trying to achieve - including all IOS devices, synth modules used and controllers required. In the end, you need to find the least amount of steps possible to bring your rig up.

• @rad3d said:
    I'd be glad to help with more info. My initial suggestion would be to diagram what you are trying to achieve - including all IOS devices, synth modules used and controllers required. In the end, you need to find the least amount of steps possible to bring your rig up.

@rad3d
    Thanks for the help. I am attaching my current setup. It works like this BUT I have to change the patches on my Synth iPad manually (dotted red line). I am trying to get the Master iPad to connect to the Synth iPad so it responds to Program Changes.

The MIDIFlow/AudioBus solution sounds good but I feel like I am missing another piece of gear. The FTP dongle might need to go somewhere else, like a USB hub maybe? I just don't want to introduce too many connection points that might cause latency with FTP.
    I will post another diagram with what I think I should do.

This is exciting to know that this stuff really works!

• Patrick
  • Looking at your setup, I see a couple of ways to handle what you're doing...

Unless something has changed with Bluetooth LE Midi recently, I think you still have to pair 2 devices together at a time - though an ios device can be both a single slave (connect) and a single master (broadcast) at the same time (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not entirely sure of the process for connecting to the Yamaha, though I'd assume it broadcasts it's address so you can connect from your setlist ipad. That should still leave you the ability to broadcast your setlist ipad and connect to it from your Synth ipad. Not sure what app you're using for Bluetooth LE on the ios devices, but most should allow you to handle those connections. If your setlist app allows you to select different ports (Setlist Maker does for sure), then you should be good.

The second way would require a little bit of a change to your hardware setup. Seeing as you have 2 direct boxes in the mix, and some midi routing needs, you might be able to minimize your rig a little bit by ditching the direct boxes and the Yamaha and replacing with an IConnectAudio4+. You can connect 2 ipads to it via usb, which would handle both the audio and midi connections coming from them - and give you the ability to keep your ipads charged while using. You then still have an additional 4 physical audio ins and 4 outs with full audio routing/mixing between the physical ins and the USB audio from your ipads to any of the 4 outputs. You also have 2 standard midi ports that can hook directly to the VoiceLive, and full midi routing between those ports and multiple virtual ports connected to each ipad. The ICA4 also has the ability to hook up a small USB Hub which you can use to connect your TriplePlay and route to any device. The hub also gives you the capability to connect additional USB midi controllers.

I'd try to see if you can make the first scenario work - but if you think your rig might need to expand any more beyond what you currently have, I'd look into the ICA4+. Be aware it can be a little complex to understand some of the routings at first (mostly due to clunky software).

• I'm connecting a second iPad and a Nanokey Studio through Bluetooth to Gadget. I use either ChordPolyPad or Midi Studio to get a second keyboard. The possibilities are limitless.

• edited March 2018

I have a Roland FA-06 workstation as a master keyboard, it’s a ”bread-and-butter” synth, sort of ”Best of Roland”. I chose it specifically for this, since Roland’s synth presence in the app world is basically non- existent and to play some regular piano with good piano sounds.

It is directly connected to my iPad Air through a data cable and Apple CCK, no interface needed. That way I can play synth apps via MIDI with regular keys across the keyboard, when not using its internal sound capabilities and sequencer. It is an open-ended setup: I can either sample FROM the iPad to it or sample TO the iPad from it. When sampling into Beatmaker 3 which is my DAW of choice I use a Presonus AudioBox iTwo or an iRig Pro as interfaces for now depending if I want a stereo signal or not. I got the Roland Go mixer a while ago which is faster than expected becoming my go-to interface.

For mobile/couch use I have Launchkey Mini, a Keystation 32 mini and Apple CCK.

• @rad3d said:
    Looking at your setup, I see a couple of ways to handle what you're doing...

Thanks @rad3d, the iOS app midimittr makes it easy to create a master/slave relationship between iPads!
    I set it up and it totally works. All I need to do is sync up my Program Changes inside the OnSong app. OnSong is similar to Setlist Maker.

I'm going to create a short YouTube clip to share with people. I consider myself a beginner with this and it was totally escaping me. Now it's clear as day.

When AudioBus allows Presets to be updated via Program Changes I will have the perfect storm!

Thanks guys! This forum is awesome. So many great ideas!