Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Do you use multiple MIDI devices with your IOS?

What kind and with what connecting?

Thanks for your input.

Comments

• I have an iRig Keys keyboard. Works very well, doesn't take up a lot of space. I also have an iRig Pro interface, which does my electric guitar and bass, mic for acoustic guitar, and as a midi interface for an Alesis Percpad. None of it expensive, works well, sounds great.

• EIE 16 bit to connect four controllers (3 M-Audio and one Casio) and an Alesis electronic drum kit. Plus I've been using my c.24 over btle lately. All are working great, even concurrently.

• As everyone one knows I got Novation Launchkey a while back but I traded it in for credit towards a Akai Advance 61. I've got a Mac mini, Launchpad mini, and Air 2 iPad hooked up together with a iConnect 4 as my hub. Like other people have said on this forum have said about iConnectivity - it works great! :) I think it is an ideal setup.

• Lots. See schematic ...

• Similar to @funjunkie. EIE with Korg Triton Tactile 49, M-Audio Axiom mini 32, and nano Control 2.

• iRig Pro Keys

• Cool setup @dwarman! Is it stable?

• Nice, spacey, cold perfection, good charting.

• edited October 2015

The iPad 1, on the left, is essentially untouched for years now. That part is good. My MIDI Central. It has the 7 port hub with most of the controllers, either directly attached or indirectly via the MidiTaps. The Air on the Right has occasional bobbles but I've jammed for hours with iSEM, Sunrizer, Animoog, and of course the exernal hardware synths. Even on 8.3 (which I'm stuck at for now - time to take the plunge yet?).

• Arturia BeatStepPro directly in iPad and sometimes with Edirol PCR300 into midi in >BSP

• Beatstep, mpk mini and lpd 8 into aka Eie red face so another happy eieio user here.

• I use the MPC Element and now the Novation Circuit. I use the Apple camera connectiion cord.

• Beatstep pro midi out to DSI Pro 2, midi thru to MFB Dominion 1, midi thru to Ipad with a midi merger feeding in a Samson Graphite midi keyboard. All works well and means I can sync the internal sequencers on the hardware synths to the drums and sequences on the ipad. Midi merging the keyboard also means I can play manually over the top whilst running all the various drums and sequences. Can also split the midi keyboard to play 2 synths. Irig midi or camera connector work at the ipad end.
    Just have to remember to allocate the midi channels carefully and it all runs perfectly (so far!!).

• Not quite as complex as @dwarman - but for a live setup, complex enough. 5 iOS devices, 6 midi controllers.

• Great info and feedback.

Appreciate seeing what others are into these days.

• I use an FCB1010 via MIDI in to my Alesis iODock(1) and use the MIDI out to an Adrenalinn3. Also use a Bluetooth connection to control lots via MIDI designer running on my iPhone. Am working on using a 2nd "old" iPhone5 as an audiobus remote device if not another MIDI Designer interface.

• sorry for a newbie question, how would i drive let say 4 hardware synth (synth has only old midi in, no usb) from ipad?
    Thanks

• @Goozoon said:
    sorry for a newbie question, how would i drive let say 4 hardware synth (synth has only old midi in, no usb) from ipad?

Using one of these? http://www.iconnectivity.com/iConnectMIDI4plus

• The only device ?

• @Goozoon said:
    sorry for a newbie question, how would i drive let say 4 hardware synth (synth has only old midi in, no usb) from ipad?

Do your hardware synths have MIDI Thru ports? If so, you can just daisy chain them out of whatever USB->5 pin DIN MIDI thing you want. Or get a 1->4 MIDI thru box (which will be better/easier than 4 daisy chains).

Or like @jocophone suggested, some sort of multi-port interface. You'll need to find one that's class compliant. The iCM4 plugs directly into your iPad. Pretty all other multiport ones will need to be connected to an iPad USB adapter (aka Camera Connection Kit) and may or may not require a powered USB hub (so, ipad->usb adapter->usb hub->class compliant MIDI interface->synthesizer glory).

Depending on the apps you use, or if you insert MIDIFlow into the equation (it's good stuff), you can use more than one single-port class compliant MIDI interface like the iConnect UNO or many others. You could then connect each synth to its own 1in/1out interface (or chain a couple or whatever). If you look on Craigslist for 3-7 year old little 25 key MIDI controllers they are often class compliant, have a 5 pin MIDI out and can be had for a song.

• I have multie devices to connect, but only use one at a time: Launchkey mini keyboard via CCK for mobile use...otherwise I use keyboard workstation (standard 5 pin MIDI) via a Behringer iStudio interface.

• Thank you @syrupcore
    I dont have so many hw synths now, only volca bass and beats, those have only midi in. Wont to buy other volcas and some other bigger synth, for sure.
    Key i have are mpk 225

I came to this q when i was playing with Fugue and remembered a discussion why it has no 4 midi out. Then i thought, if it has that and i have some old rolands, how would i wire it up?

Still little confused.

Yesterday i wanted to buy iconnectivity midi2plus with that mentioned ebay.co.uk discount but didnt pull the trigger

• I use my old Kawai K4 synth occasionally through an IConnect Audio 4. I don't know if this counts towards your question but if you include using an desktop computer as a an external MIDI device that would count for me.

• Or how would you drive 4 midi synths from macos, please?

• @Goozoon said:
    Or how would you drive 4 midi synths from macos, please?

Do you mean connected to OSX or soft synths running on OSX? If the latter, do you have a OSX DAW already?

• No soft synth, hw synths to osx/live or something

• edited October 2015

@Goozoon said:
    Thank you syrupcore
    I dont have so many hw synths now, only volca bass and beats, those have only midi in. Wont to buy other volcas and some other bigger synth, for sure.
    Key i have are mpk 225

You can probably get away with a single USB compliant MIDI interface (even a cheap one) and a little MIDI THRU box like this one or this one with two inputs. Those basically take a MIDI IN signal and distribute it back out to anything connected to its THRU jacks. If you look at used music shops or your local craigslist they come up fairly regularly for fairly cheap.

So...
    MIDI IN:
    MPK 225 Controller->USB MIDI Interface IN->USB Adaptor/CCK connected to iPAD

MIDI OUT:
    iPAD connected to USB Adaptor/CCK->MIDI THRU box INPUT->Out to 2-4 synths

• Wait a sec, with the MPK 225 you don't need another MIDI interface—you just need the THRU/Splitter thing to get to both Volcas. You'd plug the MPK into the iPAD and then connect the MPK's MIDI OUT to the thru/splitter's In. Then the thru/splitter's out(s) to your hardware.

You set each piece of hardware to be on a separate MIDI channel (1-16) so that when you're iPad sequencer (or the MPK itself) is sending out MIDI messages via the MPK's port, only the correct device is triggered.

Alternatively, if you're going to stick to two devices without built in THRU jacks (like you have now), you could get the USBMIDI interface and a USB hub. Plug the MPK and the USB MIDI interface into the hub. One MIDI out from the MPK to Volca 1 and one MIDI out from the USB MIDI interface to volca 2. Then you can send MIDI out from your sequencer or whatever to the correct MIDI device port to reach the appropriate volca.

• So i dont need a icennectmidi2 or 4 ?

• I don't know what you need.