Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis track freezing problem

Has anyone else come across this problem?

I have an problem with freezing tracks in Cubasis.

This problem is intermittent but it has happened in earlier versions than the latest version.

Sometimes, if I want to freeze tracks, it works absolutely fine.

Then, with no changes to anything whatsoever, the freeze does not work properly - the freezed sample is much longer than the original and is completely out of time.

Is there anything I can do to stop it happening? Or to make the freeze work again, because it will start working again at some point - but I have no idea when that might be....

Comments

• edited October 2015

It's simple. The freeze renders the effect tail. If your track has some crazy drenched echo or reverb, it'll take 3-4x longer than freezing a track that's light on effects.

Remember, when you're done, to turn off those effects, or you'll double-whammy the track w/ effects, because freezing "bakes in" the effects.

• I also had this problem and you have to change the audio settings to 256 samples to get rid of the problem.Worked for me.

• @Icepulse said:
    It's simple. The freeze renders the effect tail. If your track has some crazy drenched echo or reverb, it'll take 3-4x longer than freezing a track that's light on effects.

Nope, I understand what you're saying but that's not what's happening.... say I freeze a track with four instrumental sections over 6 minutes, what the freeze returns is four instrumental sections over like 16 minutes, and if I try and align them to the original they're completely out of time

However - I had been freezing a track with some effects like you describe just before this started happening. Maybe this contributed to it?

• @Proto said:
    I also had this problem and you have to change the audio settings to 256 samples to get rid of the problem.Worked for me.

Tell me more...

Change the audio settings to 256 samples... in what section... and then change back to something elese?

• Ya got me.

• In my experience some IAA-Instrumets are simply 'un-freezable' ie. the result is not the same compared to when they are played back live and recorded using ab which can be somewhat annoying.

This is especially annoying when freezing drums where the drum hits don't even match the time-line. (Ie. the midi-note and the resulting sounds in the wave are offset by some 'random' amount).

Maybe there are som latency-settings somewhere to be found that affect the Cubasis freeze process??
    (I've tried all the suggestions given here from Steniberg).

• @Simon_Acetone said:
    Change the audio settings to 256 samples... in what section... and then change back to something elese?

In Cubasis go to setup,Audio,Hardware Latency and choose 256.I'm on iOS 8 and don't know if it works the same with IOS 9.

• Something to do with the hardware latency changed by another app in the background?

• I have no clue what causes the freezing issues I'm having with Cubasis. Some apps (let's take Lorentz as one example) is unable to have it's built-in effects 'frozen', so instead of the lush chours / delay the app produces, the frozen track in Cubasis are more like a bad half-phased no delay mess, but with Lorentz effects turned off it freezes properly...

Don't know if the app developers have to pay some extra attention when the output of their apps is frozen?!?

The other issue I can have more understanding for like Pulsecodes Boom 808/909 which only act as IAA-Generators so the Midi has to be fed on separate track. (I have requested proper export features to Book 808/909 but so far no reply, maybe they are already abandoned?!).

Most of the time I end up recording the output of the apps to AudioShare, do a rough trim and import them to Cubasis and trigger them using the MicroSampler as it's the only place where sample-accurate trimming is possible within Cubasis.

• @Samu said:
    In my experience some IAA-Instrumets are simply 'un-freezable'

I'm freezing audio!

Although have also had some weird things happen with instruments too...

• It's a known problem that got introduced around the time the IAP fx update was released, possibly the update before then. It has been covered on the Steinberg forum. The issue is related to buffer size and the fix is to set to 256 inside Cubasis. Depending on the apps you use and the order you open them, sometimes the setting will change automatically to 512 and then you get the issues freezing tracks. If this is the case you need to get Cubaisis and the supporting apps all set to 256. For some apps you will need to go into the main iPad settings to make the adjustment.

• @Proto said:
    In Cubasis go to setup,Audio,Hardware Latency and choose 256.I'm on iOS 8 and don't know if it works the same with IOS 9.

Checked that - it's set on 256 and always has been (still on iOS8 btw)

And I've Still got the problem...

• Oh, hang on, it appears to be working again now...

I changed nothing

Totally random!!!

• @Simon_Acetone said:
    Oh, hang on, it appears to be working again now...

I changed nothing

Totally random!!!

If you set Cubasis and Audiobus botht to 256 and launch them first then the rest of the apps must auto change their buffer size to the same setting.Think some other app you connected is not working properly and try to mess with the buffer settings.