Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What will the iPad Pro mean for musicians?

I clipped an article with answers from some app/plugin developers.

Comments

• Bigger buttons.

• edited October 2015

Bigger buttons.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Bigger buttons.

Size isn't everything so Mrs Monzo tells me

• I was going to make a sleazy comment but you took care of that already, its was about bigger b... on the larger screen now. ^^

• I'm more interested in the air 3. For me it means you have to sit behind a desk and give up your portability, because of the huge size.If i wanna sit behind a desk I'll use my laptop.I love the specs of the pro (4gb ram) but not the size.

• edited October 2015

delete

• edited October 2015

Bigger scores is one of the main reasons I will get one. The Air is good/great, but a larger tablet would be better.

$800US++ better? No. But WTF right? :D

Nothing is like an iPad for manuscript replacement. Trust me, i've tried everything. The Surface is good, but it's OS is way to busy for a more dedicated utility. iOS is very useful. Some people want it to grow in certain ways, but it holds a niche that is specific.

Then you have 'true' split screen, which is going to be awesome. And to that serious balls.....

Now that I think about it, this is going to be of the most important purchases ever, in regards to this stuff.

• I feel like the ipad pro is not going to have enough of a musician user base large enough to justify making apps specificly for it and the os is so flakey for audio and music support that I cant see devs being able to get really clever with simply being able to string apps together etc. I mean look what still happens every major OS release. The pro is probably going to be leap frogged by something else before it really becomes a big deal.

Now I wonder what people are up to with VR DAW development? 8). I mean, you want a big screen? 360 virtual space anyone?

• edited October 2015

@AudioGus said:
    the os is so flakey for audio and music support that I cant see devs being able to get really clever with simply being able to string apps together etc.

Ah, he's giving up?

Been there. Many times :D

But I agree, there are major issues, and either it moves forward or it does not. Lets' hope it's the former.

• Heh, not giving up at all and I do love my tools as they are now on the ipad. I just don't see huge advancements in ios tablet music from a bigger screen. in my mind the big advancements will come from the OS improving across the board.

@Nubus said:
    But I agree, there are major issues, and either it moves forward or it does not. Lets' hope it's the former.

• Bigger, faster, more Ram, but....... Same problems as of now, same hard drive space as iPad Air1, & 2. Nothing else........ No expansion, no stable midi, blah, blah, blah.......

• edited October 2015

hehe yah, 'Look, we added 80 stories onto this building built on top of a swamp!'

@studs1966 said:
    Bigger, faster, more Ram, but....... Same problems as of now, same hard drive space as iPad Air1, & 2. Nothing else........ No expansion, no stable midi, blah, blah, blah.......

• I'm not the the Windows Swamp is any better!

• Maybe they will fix it so you can use AU

(I know...maybe :D I can dream though. No harm in dreamin)

• DebDeb
    edited October 2015

Less $$$ for analog instruments?

• Aftertouch

• @deb: you mean analog instruments that need 30 min to heat up to be stable and have no total recall?
    hell no, I am never going back to this.

• edited October 2015

@Norbert said:
    Aftertouch

no, not now! next year, maybe.

• edited October 2015

Without a PRO OS everything else is MUTE, and iOS 8....9 just break apps constantly, more than anything an OS that makes you jump and skip through hoops to move your data around is frankly a joke.

• @knewspeak said:
    Without a PRO OS everything else is MUTE, and iOS 8....9 just break apps constantly, more than anything an OS that makes you jump and skip through hoops to move your data around is frankly a joke.

Out of curiosity: What's the biggest problem that you see at the moment with 'moving data around'. I mean what's the workflow that you'd like to use and what is the workflow that you're currently forced to use by a lack of a central file system.

• edited October 2015

This is like when the iPad came out some people didn't think it would sell because they thought it was a giant iPhone. We all know it's easier to work on music with a larger screen.

I think jumping up to 12" diag will be great. Imagine Cubasis on a giant screen or some of the Sugar Bytes apps that have a lot of buttons and parameters. If most developers update their apps to fit the large screen I'll be happy.

• @Sebastian, I mainly use my iPad for sound design then using presets I have created on my iPad for plugins I have in common on my desktop and also creating loops, samples etc. for use on my desktop, but this can also be from the desktop to my iPad. I used to use iFunbox to transfer data to various apps, this is no longer possible and as such has become fragmented into various methods usually on a app by app basis. The lack of the ability to move organised folder of samples etc. via iTunes is a real pain. Then when you've got your data on the iPad having to copy samples from one app to another is another pain, creating duplicates on a device that has a limited amount of memory, when one centralised data location would be optimal. If Apple removed the ability to share the 'photo' location to apps, I wonder what the wider iOS world would think of that and yet users of music production apps have had to do without this ability for years. I mainly use Audioshare as my central repository for my data, without this app, I bare to think what I would do, but still this functionality should be built into iOS, not implemented by a third party.

• I agree that a shared samples folder would be a good idea.

• totaly! But then Lars would hold another press conference and we don't want that.

@PhilW said:
    I agree that a shared samples folder would be a good idea.

• I find it curious that everyone is trashing the new iOS device, yet there's a huge thread praising the Windows machine.

Am I in the wrong place? LOL

• Not everyone...

• we are just disappointed because there is no 3D Touch yet, just ignore it, lol. Nobody has touched it yet. And I am totally unimpressed by what Microsoft is doing.

• The problem for me @Nubus is one of simple economics. $799 is the wrong price point for an entry level iPad Pro for me. For the same price I could get a Surface Pro 3 (yes - I know the 4 is here) and legally transfer the purchases / licenses I use on desktop Windoze machines to that and have a much more powerful device.

Having said that, I'm not considering buying either. :-) For the price I'd get a refurb Macbook Pro. In fact I picked up a Core i7 with 8G memory and 750GB HD for nearly $100 under that price + tax a few months back, and I have that loaded with desktop music creation software. Much better price / performance / flexibility IMO for my needs.

I continue to be happy to buy cheaper iPads - I've almost never purchased an iPad new - always refurb / 2nd user from Cowboom. Always happy with the result, always a lot cheaper than new.

• @Nubus said:
    I find it curious that everyone is trashing the new iOS device, yet there's a huge thread praising the Windows machine.

Am I in the wrong place? LOL

Well played - I was waiting for a comment like this. Add the recent plethora of iOS innovation praise over on the Fugue Machine thread and BLAM! Total disconnect!

Goes to fetch confused, blown mind off the floor ;)

• Anyway, my bold prediction. Everything will look bigger. As an artist, the pencil looks nice.

Holding out for 256 storage options. My 128 Air 1 is nearly full ...