Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Dr. OM, Noisemusick - Return to Me!

Finally sorted out how to get my Dr. OM and Noisemusick fix satiated ... I recently was lucky enough to get my hands on a Line 6 Sonic Port VX, and last night, while dwelling on the continually depressing thought that I got to play with Dr. OM and Noisemusick, but never got to record them before they stopped working on the 'bus, I finally pieced it together.

If you have a portable audio interface like the Sonic Port, and two iDevices (I believe both are universal, I used the Missus' iPad mini), you can run a line out into your primary audio interface (in my case an old Yamaha MX12 mixer) just like a guitar or bass or other external instrument, set AudioBus to internal mic on your primary iPad, and run both apps through AudioBus into Audioshare or a DAW, if you prefer. Even threw some Holderness magic into the FX slot via Crystalline and EchoPad on a few takes.

BTW, Dr. OM through Crystalline is kinda transcendent and very ... relaxing. Soothing. Chill. Noisemusick is much more "tripping the light fantastic" :)

Dunno why this all didn't occur to me before, it's only been bugging me all of 2015 or so. If you've got the means to extract the audio, these two apps are GREAT for ambient/industrial/sci-fi/droning. Doug has a nice demo for Dr. OM at TSTR:

http://thesoundtestroom.com/dr-om/

Comments

• Thanks for the link. I actually just made this 2 iPad "audio-thru" my setup - I have my old iPad1 in an Alesis Dock and recently dropped some money on a used iPad2 (Audiobus!) and another Alesis dock. Took me a minute to figure out how to get stereo audio out but now I've got the Dr. OM back! What a fun app, though no idea how to use it musically.

• The hidden hippie in me (a substantial portion) thinks of Dr. Om as his Bebot.

• @thesammiller - I think it's really useful for creating unique drones and a nice quirky flavor of ambient. Of course, you could load your Dr. OM/Noisemusick recordings into iDensity, Borderlands, SamplR, Sliver, those types of apps and go completely insane with it :)

• I've got my iPhone, which I don't use much for music, loaded with my "non-Audiobus" apps such as DR-OM and Droneo, and plug them into my iPad (my main music device).

I've emailed the dev for DR-OM multiple times, and have never received a reply. The dev for Droneo has stated on multiple occasions that an update is "in the works", but that's been the same message for over a year, so I'm not holding my breath.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    The hidden hippie in me (a substantial portion) thinks of Dr. Om as his Bebot.

I can see the appeal to the inner hippie. It's just so groovy to play, anyone can do it, and it definitely sounds "far out."

• @Seangarland said:
    I've got my iPhone, which I don't use much for music, loaded with my "non-Audiobus" apps such as DR-OM and Droneo, and plug them into my iPad (my main music device).

I've emailed the dev for DR-OM multiple times, and have never received a reply. The dev for Droneo has stated on multiple occasions that an update is "in the works", but that's been the same message for over a year, so I'm not holding my breath.

I purloined the wife's iPad mini for the extra screen real estate when playing Noisemusick. Real shame about the lack of response from Fluxorama. I could happily play with both of these apps for hours. I guess as long as they continue to make sound :)

• I've had my eye on Dr Om for ages, I wish he'd get on the ruddy bus.

• ... Fluxorama sound :)

• @monzo said:
    I've had my eye on Dr Om for ages, I wish he'd get on the ruddy bus.

One can never know the exact shape and size of another man's boat, but I think Dr. Om would likely be right in your wheelhouse as regards watery transportation and irrespective of the broken metaphor etc.

• edited October 2015

I love Dr. OM and its fanciful...umm...umm....ummm...
    backstory...yeah...that's it...backstory.
    I also wish that the app would get on the Bus.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    One can never know the exact shape and size of another man's boat, but I think Dr. Om would likely be right in your wheelhouse as regards watery transportation and irrespective of the broken metaphor etc.

I've just watched the vids again, and it's ship hot. I just wish the captain would fix the leaks so I can go sailing.

• Only in Dr. OM and Noisemusick have i had this much impromptu fun. (Featuring Drumjam)

• Nice in a nasty way :)

• I like that, how was it recorded - is IAA still working?

• @audiblevideo - Very nice! Gritty controlled chaos - was this recorded back when they were still on the bus, or is this post-abandonware, using a workaround like the one I (finally) worked out?

Either way, thanks for sharing :)

• This is annoying me now, I really want this, but I've just checked Noisemusik which I already have, and it's not even showing up as IAA - so basically there's no way of recording the output unless I connect the iPad to another device. Really frustrating.

• edited October 2015

@monzo - They're both universal, if you have an iPhone. Noisemusick is probably more fun to play on an iPad, but an iPhone would certainly do OK with it ... see @seangarland's post up there somewhere ^^^

• @eustressor said:
    monzo - They're both universal, if you have an iPhone. Noisemusick is probably more fun to play on an iPad, but an iPhone would certainly do OK with it ... see seangarland's post up there somewhere ^^^

Oh ok, still using two devices though - I guess I'd take the headphone audio out from the phone and use my iRig to connect it to the pad. Bit of a faff, though if Dr Om works on the phone that'd be a workaround, but the signal will never be as clean as an internal thing.

• @eustressor said:
    audiblevideo - Very nice! Gritty controlled chaos - was this recorded back when they were still on the bus, or is this post-abandonware, using a workaround like the one I (finally) worked out?

Either way, thanks for sharing :)

Back when they were still on the bus (sigh) :(
    I was excited to use them with Crystalline, but I have only one device.

• @monzo said:

Yeah, and a Sonic Port like I used is def. not the cheapest solution. Have you tried the Behringer - 202/222? Well reviewed, inexpensive, and a LOT of people here on the forum use this to get clean audio out of an iDevice:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0023BYDHK/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687702&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000KW2YEI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=04TCGEG1KNQAC80359DS

• @eustressor said:

That's a nice little interface - good price too. I should be ok with the iRig Pro, it's got a jack audio in. I'll test it on some other phone apps before buying Dr Om though.

• I uninstalled Dr. OM for a while - at which point did it cease to work in AB?

• From ios7 to ios8 if I remember correctly

• Figures...I only recently went to ios8.

• That s my only ios7 regret, but there's other ( and better ) ways to get that "drony" sound, so...

• Big ups to these apps! Seems like there are hidden easter eggs if you muck around with all your fingers sometimes. BUT : I can't find them in audiobus arghh. So I run my old 3gs iPhone with both apps and its ace. Running them into identity and I think id die of sonic mayhem haha.