Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Price for d(--)b app dropped to a buck+Audiobus...

...coming soon :)

I was just a milisecond away yesterday night to purchase it for the full price (15,-€)and now it dropped to a buck plus audiobus and
midi support coming in a future update.Same developer who made the TouchAble remote app.

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/d-b/id604112150?mt=8

I'm trying it right now as i was looking for a new DJ app (DJ Player has an ugly new interface)and i have to say that i really like it so far.
The modular aspect is something i was really looking for and the nudging on waveforms is (if you fine tune it a little)the closest thing to a turntable i had so far in a dj app/software.Although i don't know many :) Makes quite fun to mix without sync.The app supports Interfaces with multiple outputs but unfortunately is it not possible to adress two decks to different stereo outputs on the interface.You can only choose one stereo channel for the master out and the other one for prelistening.But want to mix on an external mixer to combine it with vinyl etc.Hope this will come in an update too.And it would be nice to have access to the itunes playlists(it does have access to the library though).Besides this it's great and has a beautiful user interface.Well worth the buck.

Comments

• edited May 2013

Hey man! thnx! I just bought it. By any chance do you have Traktor? Thats probably my fave DJ app although it isnt AB compatible. How does this compare? Djay app is good too as you can paste in your own loops.

• sorry i don't have Traktor because it can only play in sync and there's no pitchbend.I still prefer to mix without sync (and i have to combine it with real vinyl etc.).DJay seems the most famous one but lacks a lot of professional features and the two mini turntables are just toys (no offense ;-),it was impossible to mix with them (unless you use sync only).

i would say d(--)b sits in the middle between Traktor (very good interface) and DJ Player (most advanced features).The modular aspect is awesome,i already made my dream user interface :)

• edited May 2013

Thanks crabman! What professional features would you say djay is missing? Also, how do you compensate for those missing features when playing live? Also, on a diff but related note? If you perform live, what challenges do you see using an ipad vs cdjs or turntables? I played out for years but in a band so don't know what kind of challenges DJs have.

• I don't like DJay UI but it has the most features out of all the iOS DJ app. Just go to the settings it's the only one where you could route the audio however you want. You could use a Turtle Bay USB sound card through the camera kit for master output and the iOS device headphone jack for CUE. To me the best sounding DJ app is Cross DJ and the best UI is Traktor DJ. But that's only my opinion.

• @Juniorpops - what do you like about crossdj? How specifically does it sound better? Is the phaser/flanger better? Honestly, as a dj noob, it seems like all the djay apps pretty much have the same features with the exception of traktor which beat matches so easily that it insults real djs who've worked hard to beatmatch. Djay has audiobus and can also paste in loops. The new dj app on this thread has a customizable interface which ive yet to figure out haha. Also, which of these do you see being most useful live? On the traktor forums, somebody said the bpm wheel froze up, ouch!

• edited May 2013

I have all the apps and Cross Dj has the best output sound see attached link for reading

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188976&page=3

The new dj app for some strange reason I don't like it.
    If you looking for a pro dj app to use with DVS then DJPlayer is number 1, then CrossDj, DJay then Traktor.
    Its a matter of choice and what you looking for.
    See also link to DJPlayer DVS features

http://djworx.com/musikmesse-2013-dj-player-6-beta-dvs-on-an-ipad/#sthash.lPvfqvlF.dpbs

• edited May 2013

@juniorprops - thanks man! Good info. Just curious, have you performed live using any dj apps? Similar question to what I asked crabman, but were there any problems or specific issues when using an ipad compared to turntables/cdjs? Pros/Cons? Thnx again!

EDIT: Man, I've been enjoying playing with CrossDJ. It does sound brighter to me than Traktor and the EQ sounds better to me as well. Could just be the interface and the way I'm adjusting parameters. Thnx for the tip!

• I did a 15 min set one time, had no problems, I used the Griffin splitter cable for cue which work perfectly.
    Had no problem at all and my App of choice was CrossDJ.

• edited May 2013

@JuniorPopps:i checked DJay (LE) again and you are right.It has a shitload of options although it doesn't change anything about the (at least for me)useless interface.I prefer it oldfashioned,NO Beatsync and i don't see how djay or cross dj would give me an andvantage,interface wise.I just don't get why developer try to simulate two supertiny turntables instead of making REAL use of the touch display.

Traktor has no pitchbend so there aren't many options left at least for me.I used DJ Player before and although i like the developers effort to bring new things in,i really don't like the new interface. d(--)b is close to perfect for my needs (still talking about the UI).Yes,still a lot of things missing but the developer respond to my mail and said he has a lot of plans for the future and i already made a list what could be improved.More routing options are coming (athough it is currently possible to route the Master/Monitor to different outs,so it's easy to"fake"different outputs for the two decks as well),Audiobus,FX (but i don't need effects THAT much,looping aside)and more.

Regarding soundquality:thanks for the link to the NI forum otherwise i would have scratched my head about the"awesome"sounding cross dj.Now it seems clear that it just has a volume and EQ boost.No magic here (not talking about key lock,see below...).I tried d(--)b with my own mastered tracks (that i've listened to hundreds of times on different headphones,speakers,PA's.)and everything sounds as expected.I don't care about the eq too much if i use an external mixer (mostly allen&heath).It has currently no key lock which makes things"easier" soundwise.And i currently prefer to mix without key lock anyway.the key lock in DJ Player doesn't sound good enough for me on many tracks (but i would use it if the soundquality would be better of course).I just don't play tracks with extreme pitch shift settings.Didn't bother me in the past 20 years,why should it now? ;-).I wanted to use the DVS on DJ Player but unfortunately i know just one class compliant soundcard with two phono inputs and that's the NI Audio 10.Currently not really what i'm looking for.But since the nudging on d(--)b's waveforms makes so much fun...i'm really not sure if i would need DVS in the future.I have always a bunch of records in my bag anyway and the iPad is the replacement for the CD's i played before.As you said before,it's all a matter of choice.Guess i could agree with your"top 5"if i would play only synced tracks.
    Btw,it's a hell lot of fun to create the interface i want :)

• Each App has its strength and weakness

• you summed up my wall of text very well :)

• @Crabman - hey man, have you ever performed live with ipad and dj app? Can you share any problems/tips/etc you experienced? Thanks in advance.

• edited May 2013

@Crabman or anybody - Can you actually have more than two turntables on this app or any other dj app? Like if i wanted to have four songs playing at the same time, maybe grab a drum fill from one song, kick from another, percussion from another, main track minus the rhythm on last one? thanks guys!

• edited May 2013

Wow! This db djay is pretty badass! You can add 8 decks, setting loop very easy, can see the waveform. You just have to familiarize yourself with the layout as it's somewhat confusing. Like when you load a song, it doesnt seem like anything is loaded because no album picture or waveform pops up right away. also setting bpm for each track is weird, you gotta click the 5 lines button, then press the waveform, then set the bpm. There could've been a better way for bpm. But this could be one of my most used apps. Audiobus would be sweet with this. I know you pro djs dont like beat sync but if you had 8 decks going, that would make life much easier.

• Sorry, cant let this thread die yet. For $1, this is a really great dj app. Check it out!

Setting bpm is kinda tricky as you have to actually hold down one button while you click on waveform. Plus no beat sync but you can have up to 8 decks!!

• It has sync (to a master tempo) and manual bpm setting is only necessary if the automatic detection failed.Though i did not test it with many tracks yet so i can't say how reliable the auto detect is.

• Maybe I am missing something here, but even a simple nudging of the waveform yields a nasty garbled sound.

A lot of bang for the buck though, I must say!

• edited May 2013

@crabman - yeah I did figure out the master sync later on (duh). My observations are going to be very noob-ish as I haven't really spun vinyl for long periods of time unless i was at a friends house. So my experience is based on mostly apps and I'm used to having one song have a bpm, then syncing the other song's bpm to it (ex. djay or cross dj) although the more recent traktor does have master bpm. and that app makes it waaay too easy to beat match songs and even starts it at the exact right time. So yeah, I've been spoiled but it does free up mental space to focus on the creative process of finding songs that blend well. I'm still trying to figure out if there's a cross fader somewhere and fx in db app?? And if there is a way to set it up so that all loops start at the same time without using the cue points.

@dubhaus - this thing is pretty badass! I think I made a mistake as I thought you could have 8 songs/loops playing at same time as I saw "4 decks" as an option but i've only been able to get 4 playing right now. And you have to toggle back and forth between the two decks. But you can get 3 on one screen which is what ive been trying to get used to.

• @Dubhausdisco :did you try to change the settings?i set the "samples/pixels moved"to almost zero (3),the friction to 20% and the acceleration to 60% to get a vinyl like feeling out of it.Not as good as the real deal of course but pretty usable.The trick is to nudge careful (1-2cm)for fine tune and wider movements for coarse tuning.Two finger nudging enables (back)spinning or stopping/hold the waveform.I got used to it pretty quick,it's even easy to mix without sync AND headphones just by looking at the moving waveforms (works only in 2 deck mode were the waveforms are vertical next to each other of course).

@gjcyrus: FX are planned for a future update and i can imagine a crossfader as well.Currently i use only two decks so i don't miss a"start all at once"feature but i agree it might be helpful in some cases.

• Thanks @crabman.. I'll give it a go!

• Now that i'm playing thru my library i realise that it almost never drops the startbeat to the right position.They need to improve this.Although the BPM detection works fine on most of my tracks.

• edited May 2013

@Crabman - Yes BPM has been spot on! But not being able to get loops to start at same time isn't conducive to my workflow as im usually searching and auditioning tons of loops so that extra bit of time to set cue can add up. Overall though, this has become of my new fave apps to play around with. And i havent even figured out how to customize it yet!