Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

3D Touch on iPhone 6S - good news!

So folks, iPhone 6S in hand, seeing how force touch resolution looks. It is good.

Within a range of 0->6.66 the force parameter returns gradations of 0.016 at the soft end and 0.1 at the hard end, so it has a bit of a logarithmic curve, but we're looking at at least 128 discrete gradations. About MIDI CC equivalent!

Woohoo!

Comments

• Very interesting - I bet you are amongst the first to exploit that too!

• Oooooh! Sounds promising. Thanks for the report.

• Is it able to detect the force per touch (like polyphonic aftertouch) or is it across the whole screen, kind of like channel aftertouch?

• @PhilW said:
    Is it able to detect the force per touch (like polyphonic aftertouch) or is it across the whole screen, kind of like channel aftertouch?

Was going to ask the same.... polyphonic would be a huge thing!

• Yes, it is truly individual pressure per touch!

One downside, the pressure is always zero on initial touch, it takes about 10-15ms before it sends the first event with >0 pressure... so use for quick velocity determination is going to be limited.

• Sounds good for modulation.

• No good for drums, great for pads?

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    No good for drums, great for pads?

Basically, yes. But for DrumJam pressure could be very useful for auto-repeat velocity or rate :)

• Looks like the iPad Pro 2 could be interesting for me then ;)

• So soon we can use drum sticks with DrumJam :). What is the difference with apps like Ifretless that also registrate how hard you tap on the screen ?

• @sonosaurus said:
    Basically, yes. But for DrumJam pressure could be very useful for auto-repeat velocity or rate :)

Or, if you are playing midi out, a midi cc you could choose to apply to anything (delay, distortion, reverb amount etc). That would be super cool.

• Means that that each change of pressure takes this amount of latency? Would be a bit hard to use for continous changes of pressure.
    I was going to buy a seaboard rise but if i could use ThumbJam as midi controller.... ;)

• Synthjam!!!

• @sonosaurus said:
    range of 0->6.66

The mark of the beast!

• @Cinebient said:
    Means that that each change of pressure takes this amount of latency? Would be a bit hard to use for continous changes of pressure.
    I was going to buy a seaboard rise but if i could use ThumbJam as midi controller.... ;)

No, only between the initial touch and the first pressure event. After that the latency between pressure changes can be smaller.

• @sonosaurus said:
    So folks, iPhone 6S in hand, seeing how force touch resolution looks. It is good.

Within a range of 0->6.66 the force parameter returns gradations of 0.016 at the soft end and 0.1 at the hard end, so it has a bit of a logarithmic curve, but we're looking at at least 128 discrete gradations. About MIDI CC equivalent!

Woohoo!

Very interesting!!! :-)

• Hmm. Not a fan of that 666 thing tho. ;)

• Sounds like on first touch it's calibrating sensitivity, that latency is hugely disappointing. Aftertouch on keyboards etc. is ok in certain situations (most of the time how many people make real use of it), but velocity is of more use, near essential. Oh well let's hope for version 2.

• This is awesome news :D

• @sonosaurus said:
    No, only between the initial touch and the first pressure event. After that the latency between pressure changes can be smaller.

Thank's! But can the iPhone 6S plus also just use 5 input touches instead of 10 like the iPad. That was always an annoying limitation for me.

• @Cinebient said:
    Thank's! But can the iPhone 6S plus also just use 5 input touches instead of 10 like the iPad. That was always an annoying limitation for me.

I don't know about the plus, but the regular size 6S still has the limitation. I'd be extremely surprised if the plus was any different.

• without having velo on drums (or anything else) not very useful at least to me.I admit that its better than nothing but also nothing that make me jealous for a 6s now ;)

• Now that i think of it a bit..... nice but when it always start with zero with the first hit it would be not good for any kind of modulation or velocity :(
    So no real loss for it on an iPad Pro. But when the iPad Pro 2 will get this i have to wait for the iPad Pro 3 for an maybe advanced polyphonic aftertouch.

• @Cinebient said:
    Now that i think of it a bit..... nice but when it always start with zero with the first hit it would be not good for any kind of modulation or velocity :(
    So no real loss for it on an iPad Pro. But when the iPad Pro 2 will get this i have to wait for the iPad Pro 3 for an maybe advanced polyphonic aftertouch.

Well, don't give up on it yet until we see how it works in practice. The accelerometer based velocity that garageband and iFretless (etc) use also has an implicit latency involved, so the force pressure velocity technique may work better than that for some things.

Obviously for aftertouch modulation this will work great. It's actually surprising how hard you press to get the max value.... harder than you'd want to. Good thing most of the resolution is in the lighter touch end of it.

• first (kidding)

• Nice.... but the latency seems ptetty bad.

• @audiblevideo said:
    first (kidding)

argh don't show me that,
    u r having fun already :)

• what does happen when you play a chord feedback wise?

• @lala said:
    what does happen when you play a chord feedback wise?

What do you mean by feedback? It's just a sensor, any haptic stuff is separate and done explicitly by the app in question.