Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best iOS Guitar Samples

Hi there everyone, which apps have the best sounding, highest quality steel string acoustic guitar samples in your opinions? I recently got a Jamstik+ and am looking to use it as a guitar replacement but the sampled sounds in their own app, Thumbjam and Garageband all sound pretty lacking. Would Guitarism or iFretless have better? Wouldn't want to spend any money unnecessarily! Thanks for the help :)

Comments

• Try Yonac's Steel Guitar for free, there's an IAP for more sounds if you like the free ones provided :)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/steel-guitar/id323813692?mt=8

• I don't think Steel Guitar has MIDI notes in

• True, forgot there was a Jamstik involved.

• Hasn't GuitarCapo got midi in? Or then you could use bs16 and choose a good guitar soundfont, or go for Laplace Physical Modelling and a little DIY.

• GuitarCapo might be worth a look - there's a free version you can check out.

• edited September 2015

iFretless Guitar has several nice velocity-mapped samples. Jam Maestro receives MIDI in and features several nice guitar samples, but no velocity mapping.

• Guitarism? Nice sound, but not sure it can be triggered by midi.

• @Martygras said:
    Guitarism? Nice sound, but not sure it can be triggered by midi.

Was my first thought, can't see any midi in, only out.

• edited September 2015

Phew! So glad I asked! Didn't know Guitarism dontl't do midi in! Seems like the only two choices are GuitarCapo and iFretless for velocity mapped samples? My impressions of soundfonts are that they aren't of a very high quality in general, am I wrong about that? :) Thanks a tonne for the help guys!

Update: I just gave GuitarCapo a go, seems like the samples are velocity mapped.. Is dropping $10 on iFretless the only choice then?

• Depends on the Soundfont. There are extremely high quality soundfonts out there. Soundfonts are really just relative to the quality of their recordings.

• @CalCutta so you know where I can get really high quality guitar ones?

• edited September 2015

the best in my opinion is a sound font called 'protrax classical guitar' and you can use it with BS16i on your ipad.

i use the JS+ a lot and its really great fun.

ifretless is not a good option as it sounds really poor. the other instruments they make are good but the guitar one is not good.

• I've found iFretless most usable when turning off the internal reverb, just using the clean sample sound. Fiddling around with EQ and gain, and changing the velocity and volume settings also have dramatic impact on the sound.

• @GRiKer

i will give that a go also.

@necrome
    i will share some sound fonts for you to use with the JS+
    message me an email to contact you?

• edited September 2015

@dblonde - sure, thanks a lot!

• edited September 2015

@knewspeak said:
    Hasn't GuitarCapo got midi in? Or then you could use bs16 and choose a good guitar soundfont, or go for Laplace Physical Modelling and a little DIY.

Im sorry I know this wasn't my thread, but I checked it out and now I have a few options to consider if I want to play with some more realistic guitar sounds too in my productions. So thanks guys, but my question to you is what is Laplace Physical Modeling?

@dblonde said:
    the best in my opinion is a sound font called 'protrax classical guitar' and you can use it with BS16i on your ipad.

i use the JS+ a lot and its really great fun.

ifretless is not a good option as it sounds really poor. the other instruments they make are good but the guitar one is not good.

So you like the Sax and Bass ones? I was looking into purchasing them when I get my next check.

• I have tried iFretless Guitar and can verify what dblonde has said. It really sucks, the sounds are very low quality and noises tend to sound out when chords are played. Avoid at all costs my friends! I hope I can get a refund on it...

• @dblonde said:

@yug said:
    free guitar soundfonts for bs-16i: http://www.flamestudios.org/free/Soundfonts

Thanks.

• edited September 2015

@MarkySo, physical modelling synths, Laplace being one here on iOS, are synths that emulate 'real world' sound creation, mainly using algorithms for resonating, vibration, striking of a body or string, hollow or solid etc. In the software world in general there are quite a few different emulations of this, AAS, have produced quite a few synths using PM, Chromophone, Tassman, not to mention the ones in Ableton are examples. You can produce reasonable facsimiles of instruments this way, or creations that your imagination can dream and run wild with. An advantage of this method is that it doesn't need masses of sample data to produce the sounds, and it's nuances when played can be as intricate as a 'real instrument'.

• Another -1 for iFretless guitar: however, I must say, their bass, brass and sax apps are stunning.

• edited September 2015

iFretless Bass has increased its price. Now is $14,99. 50% more.

Just posting, not judging. Only the dev knows how much effort is needed to keep their apps alive.

NOTE: Regular price was $9,99.

• It will be on sale again soon .....

• edited January 2019

@knewspeak said:
    @MarkySo, physical modelling synths, Laplace being one here on iOS, are synths that emulate 'real world' sound creation, mainly using algorithms for resonating, vibration, striking of a body or string, hollow or solid etc. In the software world in general there are quite a few different emulations of this, AAS, have produced quite a few synths using PM, Chromophone, Tassman, not to mention the ones in Ableton are examples. You can produce reasonable facsimiles of instruments this way, or creations that your imagination can dream and run wild with. An advantage of this method is that it doesn't need masses of sample data to produce the sounds, and it's nuances when played can be as intricate as a 'real instrument'.

I know I'm super late but thanks for your answer.

• Guitar can't be done convincingly via samples. Feel free to prove me wrong (seriously, I'd like to hear it).

• Hands down, the best acoustic guitar on iOS is American acoustic iap inside SampleTank. I think Doug has a demo of it.

• @ion677 said:
    Hands down, the best acoustic guitar on iOS is American acoustic iap inside SampleTank. I think Doug has a demo of it.

Clunky, but yes.

• I’ve been getting really great results with the stock ST2 guitar samples and also with the Strat Electric samples.
    I also have the Jamstik but haven’t played it in a while. Will try it soon again now that my iPad is fixed.