Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Just Finished New Track: Puck In The Borderland (Cupid Is A Knavish Lad)

Well, it's been a "very productive week," once again, thanks to jakoB haQ, who provided the basis for this, my 2nd ever completed apptronica track! Over the last couple of days, I took his complete track "Bell Borders [Borderlands Granular]" and overdubbed and added multiple new parts using apps like Magellan, BeatHawk, and mobile GarageBand, and combined it with phrase samples from A Midsummer Night's Dream, to transform it into this rather steamy little number:

Thanks for listening everybody, and thanks again for being my muse, jakoB!

-- Lady App-titude

Comments

• Working in mobile GarageBand left much to be desired, and now I see why nobody uses it... No automation, no EQ, no real mixing board, even! But it does have some nice built-in instruments. and guitar fx. And it was FREE!

• Oh, and much as I like the Sean Connery look, I somehow imagine jakoB haQ as more like Puck, Shakespeare's clever, mischievous elf. (Forgive me, jakoB!) :-)

• Yeah really enjoyed it. The vocals reminded me of some long lost Gong record I used to have and the dry arp line near the end was so Day of the Dead.

Thanks for sharing and the HaQ pic laugh

• Heh-heh... I sampled the spoken phrases off of an old public domain recording, probably from like the 40s or 50s.

• edited September 2015

So, after so much frustration with GarageBand, I should probably pick up Cubasis or Auria. Looks like Auria is half the price, so I'm leaning in that direction.

The best thing about mobile GarageBand is the great built-in instruments (pianos, EPs, clav, strings, synths). Great "smart instruments" and expressive parameters to tweak, but none of that is recorded as automation. And I could find no way to bus the output of GB to another app like AudioShare so I could record a live performance. It doesn't seem like it's possible to bus the output of GB using AudioBus or IAA. Is that correct?

So the way it seems currently is you've got GarageBand with great built-in instruments, but limited DAW options. and great DAWs like Auria, but with no instruments, and no way to bus GB into Auria. Ay, there's the rub!

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    So, after so much frustration with GarageBand, I should probably pick up Cubasis or Auria. Looks like Auria is half the price, so I'm leaning in that direction.

The best thing about mobile GarageBand is the great built-in instruments (pianos, EPs, clav, strings, synths). Great "smart instruments" and expressive parameters to tweak, but none of that is recorded as automation. And I could find no way to bus the output of GB to another app like AudioShare so I could record a live performance. It doesn't seem like it's possible to bus the output of GB using AudioBus or IAA. Is that correct?

So the way it seems currently is you've got GarageBand with great built-in instruments, but limited DAW options. and great DAWs like Auria, but with no instruments, and no way to bus GB into Auria. Ay, there's the rub!

Don't think there's a way of bussing the GB instruments.

I ditched GB due to the lack of automation for Auria a while back. It does the job but getting audio in via the 'input matrix' can be a pain in the Bernard's, and I've never been that impressed with the recorded audio quality compared to GB.

Like the track - the arp reminded me of a track on Gong's Angels Egg, but probably only because @fruitbat1919 had jostled my memory sac

• edited September 2015

Thanks for your kind comments! Ha! That's how out of it I am, I actually thought he was talking about a recording of actual old gongs. :) But now I guess I do vaguely recall there was some prog rock band by that name. And I don't know if "Day Of The Dead" refers to a band, an album -- or a movie! :-D I really appreciate the comments, tho

Regarding the "dry arp"... I'm not sure. It could be part of jakoB's original track. There is an additional arp that I layered in using the GarageBand synth called "Polarize" (which I think is a model of the Chroma Polaris synth). There is cutoff and another cool knob you can tweak, and I wanted to include that, but GB doesn't record any of it that expression. It can only be performed live, and there is no way to bus it out, alas!

• I've had GarageBand sitting doing nothing since I bought my iPad. I made one track on it and realised it was too limited with fades etc. I never realised that you can't bus out the instruments....wow. Now I can think of no purpose left for GB. Apple get your act together!

• What you can do is use one of the instruments to record along with a backing track, and then mute the backing track and export your instrument track via Dropbox.

My steps were to download jakoB's track with AudioShare's Browser. Then I used AudioCopy to get it from AudioShare into GB, Then I recorded my tracks along with it (and you can use AudioBus to bring in non-GB instruments), then exported out the mix to Dropbox. Rather convoluted, but iOS is nothing if not a platform of workarounds. Maybe GB options will be improved in iOS 9? (Won't be upgrading to 9 for a while still.)

• Yep just had a look and found that route. Wish Apple would just release the instruments as an app. Maybe they will make them AU's in the future?