Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Studiomux

In case you couldn't decide which one to get first

Comments

• Does this mean they run together in 1 app now?

• edited September 2015

2 iOS apps and 1Mac/PC server (used to be 2 separate applications)

midimux - midi & osc

studiomax (former audimux) - midi, osc, and audio

• If I originally had both audio and midi, should I remove midimux after installing studiomux?

• @asnor said:
    If I originally had both audio and midi, should I remove midimux after installing studiomux?

you may as well, yes :) studiomux includes all the functionality of midimux on its own now.

we mostly keep on to midimux for compatibility with iOS 5.1.1 and therefore the iPad 1. these old devices still make a very decent controller with TouchOSC or Lemur, and with the addition of OSC via cable, they can run quite complicated control surfaces.

initially, this was also a reason why we kept audiomux & midimux separated, plus we were not sure that so many of our users would use both apps at the same time.
    after seeing lots of your feedback about this issue we decided to include it all in studiomux and still leave the iOS 5.1.1 compatible part in its own app.

so if you are running iOS 7 or higher, just studiomux + the studiomux server is enough :)

• Great, Thanks!

• I can't ged rid of pitching digital glitches from ipad's incoming notes, is it a setup thing or has anybody else experienced this?

• edited October 2015

@asnor said:
    If I originally had both audio and midi, should I remove midimux after installing studiomux?

Yeah you don't need audio or midimux anymore. I think you need to remove the old servers first as well before installing studiomux on your DAW.

Is anyone having an issue with loading a different instrument into slots? Every time i do it loses the connection, no idea why. Using Live 9.2.2.

Oops just saw @cblomerts post, was nearly correct!

• @cblomert said:
    we mostly keep on to midimux for compatibility with iOS 5.1.1 and therefore the iPad 1. these old devices still make a very decent controller with TouchOSC or Lemur, and with the addition of OSC via cable, they can run quite complicated control surfaces.

Solid solid move. Very much appreciate this (and I don't own an iPad 1!).

• Installed the newest server and now the pitchin' problem's nearly done, thanks, @cblomert

• I have an issue with losing the connection when i load a new synth, anyone else? It works initially, no problem but as soon as i load a new app in the same slot it stops working and no amount of reloading apps has any effect.

Also does anyone know, if you save an AB setup with Studiomux in the output will that work with midi sync or do you have to reload the apps in order each time?

• a new synth creates a new MIDI port. After restarting your DAW the new port will be visible.

• Does it work well on Windows? Any opinion? And most important, can you use it with powered hub and cck?

• I have it and, after some tweaking and scratches, it works. It's very nice to hear what you do directly in Live.

• Superb app. Works brilliantly on El Capitan as an aggregate device with my FW interface, allowing me to combine iOS devices with my hardware. My only gripe is that there doesn't seem to be a way to load it with a default empty session. It always force-loads previous sessions, which can take 20-30 seconds as it starts AUM, etc.

Is there an option I'm missing to load a default empty project?

• Load a default patch before closing the app?

• @DaveMagoo said:
    Load a default patch before closing the app?

Yeah, that sometimes works. Sometimes doesn't. It's not a huge problem, mind. For the price and functionality, it's certainly an extremely minor quibble.

• @ellof5446 said:
    Does it work well on Windows? Any opinion? And most important, can you use it with powered hub and cck?

this has surely been answered many times, but yes it works since months perfectly on Windows. By the way, no need for CCK. You simply use the charging cable to the computer (or to a powered hub on the computer).

• @Phil999 said:

@ellof5446 said:
    Does it work well on Windows? Any opinion? And most important, can you use it with powered hub and cck?

this has surely been answered many times, but yes it works since months perfectly on Windows. By the way, no need for CCK. You simply use the charging cable to the computer (or to a powered hub on the computer).

It works perfectly towards the pc. and no. it cannot be used with the usb3 powered hub since the lightening port on that is for charging only. believe me i tried. but for some wierd reason at least for me i get horrible latency for midi from the pc to the ipad. after switching to the iconnectaudio4+ i do not see the latency so I'm pretty sure its studiomux on windows 7. that being said its still incredibly useful coupled with ableton link. just make sure to reduce the buffer to 128 samples to get negligible latency when recording into ableton.

• Still haven't found an answer to this but is the Audiobus multi route IAP needed to use AB in Studiomux? In the standard AB, I only get the option to choose one of the 8 SM buses.

• just to make things clear, there seem to be a couple of misconceptions that pop up again and again: 1. A CCK is not needed for Studiomux. Neither the old nor the new one. Only the original charging cable. If you want to play an app from a MIDI keyboard, you attach it to the computer and simply route the keyboard out to the Studiomux MIDI port in (in your DAW or with other means). 2. no noticeable latency for audio, MIDI, and OSC on Win 7, Win 10, OSX.

In other words: it's perfect. If you use the right USB ports on your computer, or a powered USB hub, the iPad gets charged. You can do sessions as long as you want, route all signals easily with complete freedom.

• @Phil999 said:
    just to make things clear, there seem to be a couple of misconceptions that pop up again and again: 1. A CCK is not needed for Studiomux. Neither the old nor the new one. Only the original charging cable. If you want to play an app from a MIDI keyboard, you attach it to the computer and simply route the keyboard out to the Studiomux MIDI port in (in your DAW or with other means). 2. no noticeable latency for audio, MIDI, and OSC on Win 7, Win 10, OSX.

In other words: it's perfect. If you use the right USB ports on your computer, or a powered USB hub, the iPad gets charged. You can do sessions as long as you want, route all signals easily with complete freedom.

And it works really well in OSX when aggregating two iPads. I need to add my iPhone too but the 2 USB port limitation of my MacBook Pro hampers this. My mains-powered hub doesn't seem to work when I connect the devices to that, but I think that's because it's crap and underpowered.

• @Phil999 said:
    just to make things clear, there seem to be a couple of misconceptions that pop up again and again: 1. A CCK is not needed for Studiomux. Neither the old nor the new one. Only the original charging cable. If you want to play an app from a MIDI keyboard, you attach it to the computer and simply route the keyboard out to the Studiomux MIDI port in (in your DAW or with other means). 2. no noticeable latency for audio, MIDI, and OSC on Win 7, Win 10, OSX.

There is significant latency for midi going from the pc back to the iPad on win7. But it's not noticeable from the ipad to the pc.

• edited June 2016

It works perfectly so long as you're not using FL Studio and trying to run audio.

An FL boy in an Ableton world :(

• edited June 2016

@Phil999 said:

Thank you very much, this answered perfectly my question! It seems the right app for me, but I have just another problem to solve.

there is a way to connect ipad through iOS interface into desktop daw through studiomux?

I would like to record guitar or vocals in apogee one and stream them directly into desktop daw, is it possible?

• @rhcball said:
    It works perfectly so long as you're not using FL Studio and trying to run audio.

An FL boy in an Ableton world :(

Eh eh... I use Logic but I'm shifting inexorably towards Ableton. Ofc, if you work on a PC FL is the easier choice (but consider Reaper... :| )

• great tutorial, on how to configure , for example, touchOSC with midimux /studiomux, using the ports in & out, and the ip 127.0.0.1 - on the iOS, so it sends the message to itself, on to midimux ...

http://www.midimux.com/downloads/StudiomuxManual.pdf

but how do you configure at the other end?
    do we need to use midibridge, or can osc go all the way over usb?

messages are no longer heard, when listening for device

• @MR_jh I don't have TouchOSC, and I'm not sure if your top screenshot is your actual config or an example, BUT...

Based on the screenshots you've posted, it looks like those devices are on separate local networks. If that's the case, then you'll want to change the IP addresses -- with the exception of 127.0.01 (Host) -- to either 192.168.0.x or 192.168.2.x.

I recommend making notes of any changes you make, so you can change them back if needed. Good luck.

• telecharge you've been most helpful, I'm most grateful.

I should've mentioned - in my first post, the first image is instructions, on how to configure an app, ie TouchOSC, to send OSC over midimux/studiomux (USB) - it's from the pdf - URL www.midimux.com/downloads/StudiomuxManual.pdf

the bottom one is an OSC config, most common - I've yet to see one that DOESN'T expect an IP...

The config instructions in the manual make sense (OSC on device goes to itself, via 127...) - it's the config at the windows computer end (what Device IP to use for the usb-connected device, given that wifi isn't being used?)

Time to record some tests of the issue - also asked the experts - goo.gl/PlQy3w
    Many thanks
    Status - still mysterious / broken.

• @MR_jh It doesn't matter which IP addresses you use, as long as they aren't being used by other devices on your local network. 192.168.x.x addresses aren't routable outside of your local network.