Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Studiomux

Comments

• erm, ok. stop. & rewind... that sounds like you're saying, "it doesn't matter which IP you use..."

that sounds like "put anything, it doesn't matter"... in this very special (usb) case, one could infer, "the IP in this instance is ignored... because.." - _that _would be cool...

re WAN access (outside my local network?) , or elsewhere.. I'm not talking about problems with setup from outside a network... I'm talking about... not using a network? using midimux, or studiomux, or maybe midimittr?! (just found on app store, under 'iphone only' ... on ipad) ... just connecting the phone. they don't mention usb netowrk devices (in fact I've read the developer originally clarify this is not what happens, re osc over usb, ie it's faster than an adhoc connection)

Have you used OSC? only over ethernet or wifi or adhoc?
    do you use some tools, like ipconfig... do you have any details/screenshots examples of what I'm talking about (to be clear, osc, from iphone, to windows, connected via USB)

I'm wondering if you're talking about an iphone as a network adapter (usb tethering?)

don't mean to sound rude, apologies in advance if I come off that way, any clarification appreciated.

I'll record some stuff tomorrow. got an android and a few ideas, just weird that there's NOTHING showing how to... you'd think peeps would be all over this!

Cheers again

• @MR_jh Sorry if I added to your confusion. It wasn't clear that you only want to use USB. The screenshots you posted are mostly TCP/IP networking configuration options.

• that's because OSC is configured as UDP, page 11 + 12 of the pretty poor midimux guide to OSC explains what I'm trying to do. (first picture in first post)

127 is 'myself', so I want the iphone's (mirrored) ports to be used in reaper

I think pretty much every message is posted stipulated via USB, but no matter - now you know.

control OSC capable Software on Mac/Pc with one of many available OSC apps.
    send OSC data between iDevices and Mac/Pc
    forward as many ports as you need, and treat iOS apps as if they would run directly on the same system

I think midimux are misreporting this, although some lucky mac users (I think) have mentioned it just works... but DON'T SAY if they are receiving ****midi ****(via midimux) containing OSC, or if the only touchOSC messages that can be sent via midimux are MIDI messages - like here

Now, if you look at the Reaper config, where it expects a port, and an ip, you may see why I'm wondering...

how can midimux be used to send OSC via USB?!

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 11:51 AM, pascal pascal@zerodebug.com wrote:
    Hi Jonny,

you have to enter the localhost as device ip as well. midimux/studiomux mirrors all ports (midi/osc) from the ipad to mac/pc.

cheers

pascal

(answer to my question

can you configure the app (like, OSC in your DAW, ie Reaper) to use a local host (as the usb is secretly carrying the osc...what's the device ip for a usb device on windows?!) ?

I've read OSC over usb... but the OSC always asks for an IP address...

Hope this makes sense! trying not to waffle

Many thanks

• Hi guys,

I would really appreciate if someone can help me solve my problem with studiomux:

I bought studiomux app and am trying to connect my iphone or ipad to Reaper on my PC.

I installed studiomux.exe on my PC, everything seems fine, but I can't get to that studiomux VST which is mentioned in the installation guide, regarding recording in Reaper.

Reaper recognizes studiomux and DM1 on my iphone, but I cannot find studiomux VST anywhere, so I cannot record any sound.

Please help, I've been trying to solve this for past 2 evenings but just couldn't find solution.

Many thanks

• @marin_q said:
    Hi guys,

I would really appreciate if someone can help me solve my problem with studiomux:

I bought studiomux app and am trying to connect my iphone or ipad to Reaper on my PC.

I installed studiomux.exe on my PC, everything seems fine, but I can't get to that studiomux VST which is mentioned in the installation guide, regarding recording in Reaper.

Reaper recognizes studiomux and DM1 on my iphone, but I cannot find studiomux VST anywhere, so I cannot record any sound.

Please help, I've been trying to solve this for past 2 evenings but just couldn't find solution.

Many thanks

If you have the Studiomux server running on the PC, just Right-Click the icon, at the bottom of the MIDI Ports list are the "Install 32/64 bit VST" Options.

• @Aud_iOS thank you.

I already tried that, installed VST directly to Reaper VST folder, but still VST doesn't appear in Reaper....is there something else that I'm missing?

• Isn't iOS 11 suppposed to bring audio and midi direct I/O connection in a few days?

• @RajahP said:
    Isn't iOS 11 suppposed to bring audio and midi direct I/O connection in a few days?

From everything I read, after seeing this thread and subsequently buying studiomux the other night, the ios11 feature is just midi and the audio is ios to mac only, not bidirectional. If I'm wrong then I supported studiomux too late in the game but I was able to use my iPad last night to have 3 aux sends coming from harrison mixbus on my Mac (and back in) using aufx space, dub, and crystalline as effects on my mixbus mix all at the same time on separate channels. They were crackling when I recorded the returns, but I think that the buffer was set too low. I'll have a chance to try it more tomorrow though. But since my macbook air is being slammed by mixbus (obviously wasnt really designed for intensive mixing) it will be very cool to use my iPad or iPhone as an external multi channel processor.

If it is bidirectional in ios11 then that will also be cool.

• I also had trouble getting studiomux to connect with Windows 10 I had the lastest server and rtp midi installed. I also got Music I/O and that works great, so not sure why the problem persists with studiomux as it actually looks the better app of the 2.

• Studiomux installs all its plugins into the folder you indicated, but for example VST3 plugins should be moved to C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 manually. After each plugin (32-bit, 64-bit, VST3) is at the right place, you may have to check the plugin directory location inside your DAW. And of course make sure you run the latest Studiomux software (if you have updated the Studiomux app).

• I use windows 7 on my PC. I found studiomux dll files ( effect and generator ) in Reaper's plugins folder, but still cannot find studiomux VST in Reaper among other VST...please does anyone have any idea how to fix this?
    thanks in advance!

• in Cubase or Ableton it sometimes helps to let the DAW rescan its plugin folder

• @mrufino1 said:

@RajahP said:
    Isn't iOS 11 suppposed to bring audio and midi direct I/O connection in a few days?

From everything I read, after seeing this thread and subsequently buying studiomux the other night, the ios11 feature is just midi and the audio is ios to mac only, not bidirectional. If I'm wrong then I supported studiomux too late in the game but I was able to use my iPad last night to have 3 aux sends coming from harrison mixbus on my Mac (and back in) using aufx space, dub, and crystalline as effects on my mixbus mix all at the same time on separate channels. They were crackling when I recorded the returns, but I think that the buffer was set too low. I'll have a chance to try it more tomorrow though. But since my macbook air is being slammed by mixbus (obviously wasnt really designed for intensive mixing) it will be very cool to use my iPad or iPhone as an external multi channel processor.

If it is bidirectional in ios11 then that will also be cool.

Hopefully I'm reading you right here. Only difference in iOS '11 is in IDAM - which prior to '11 is Inter-Device Audio Mode, and in '11 becomes Inter-Device Audio & MIDI. So when enabled you'll now get 16 Channels of bi-directional MIDI, where the iPad can be Host or Slave device. You also get the iPad itself enumerating a MIDI I/O, as with IDAM enabled in '11 it becomes a Class-Compliant MIDI device. The Audio isn't bi-directional in IDAM.

StudioMux, when running on the Mac/iOS should cause your iOS device to show as an Audio Device in Audio MIDI Setup (18/2). You get 8 Stereo Channels for the Studiomux Lanes + another Stereo Mix channel of all the Channels. The 2 Out is kinda misleading, as you can Send Audio To or From any of StudioMux's I/O's. You can of course, have any Studiomux lane Listen to or Send to another, or change any to an AudioBus Lane, to route out that way. If you're running Studiomux on multiple iPads and/or Windows or macOS, you can also bus the Audio between those as well. You don't want or need IDAM with Studiomux. The other advantage of Studiomux is it doesn't disenable Quicktime recording of iOS screens. IDAM disenables this, which is really frustrating.

It took me a long time to figure out Studiomux, the manual confused me, and probably just general audio routing. I still think it + Audiobus is the best for routing between Os'es. Hope this helps...

• @marin_q said:
    @Aud_iOS thank you.

I already tried that, installed VST directly to Reaper VST folder, but still VST doesn't appear in Reaper....is there something else that I'm missing?

Only guess is to confirm file paths. VST's on Windows can end up in some different places, and some hosts look in different places. hmmm, other than that only thing I could think of is if your Studiomux server isn't updated to latest version. ... system restart, normal blah blah... support ticket :)

• I finally did it! the key is to move VST on right specific place in Reaper's plugins folder, it can't be anywhere in that folder, that's strange...now it works fine :)

• Anybody had issues with StudioMux/Ableton Live 9 when using iPhone 7 Plus?

All works perfectly on an iPhone 6 but 7 Plus makes Live 9 freeze with vst (not au), no midi arrives in iOS and no audio comes back through Albleton Live.

Phone on iOS 11.0.3/Live 9.7.4/StudioMux desktop server 3.1...all latest versions.

Any ideas?

• @Vaultnaemsae said:
    Anybody had issues with StudioMux/Ableton Live 9 when using iPhone 7 Plus?

All works perfectly on an iPhone 6 but 7 Plus makes Live 9 freeze with vst (not au), no midi arrives in iOS and no audio comes back through Albleton Live.

Phone on iOS 11.0.3/Live 9.7.4/StudioMux desktop server 3.1...all latest versions.

Any ideas?

Will try it on 8plus and let u know if i have the same issue

• @DaveMagoo said:

@Vaultnaemsae said:
    Anybody had issues with StudioMux/Ableton Live 9 when using iPhone 7 Plus?

Any ideas?

Will try it on 8plus and let u know if i have the same issue

Just tried it and it failed miserably and just plain didnt work

I also tried the direct audio via lightning cable which worked ok except when i could not get my mac to connect ableton to my link session on iphone so i connected the mac to the iphone personal hotspot and the sound just kept crashing and ending up freezing into an excruciatingly annoying highpitched digital drone....an hour of my life i will never get back

• Thanks for confirming that, Magoo. I contacted '[email protected]' . Hopefully, they'll have some useful info but not holding my breath. Very frustrating to waste so much time on something that should just work. Think I arsed about with it for a good 2 hours yesterday as I assumed it was error on my part since the iPhone 6 was working.

• As an update and as a potentially useful piece of information to others...I think I was at fault with the Studiomux issue I posted about a few days back.

There were two instances of each VST in my Plugins folder from when I reinstalled the Studiomux server software. I deleted the older ones and now it works again. Having said that, it still exhibits some weird behaviour with audio but the MIDI part is working perfectly.

• Is this app still works good?
    is the signal from ipad has enough quality when the ipad is connected directly only by cable without any usb interface?

• edited November 2017

@MAtrixplan said:
    Is this app still works good?
    is the signal from ipad has enough quality when the ipad is connected directly only by cable without any usb interface?

I use studiomux everyday. Along with Aum it is my main utility app. I have been using it for about two years, maybe more..........I have a lightening -usb cable plugged into my pc, and then audio is hosted via the studiomux vst in Ableton Live. Of course, i have a seperate audio interface that deals with all the audio in ableton, (in my case an RME babyface ) . I record in 24/96 inside ableton. The studiomux audio will record at whatever setting you have set in your DAW. The quality depends very much on the apps themselves. The higher the quality of the app itself, the higher the quality of the recorded material. All the ios synths i use sound great, as good as any vst's i own. Studiomux works really well for me.....it took a bit of effort to get my head around it at first, but once you have, it is very very simple, and i generally , never have to think about it, it is there, and it works.....although it still amazes me every-time i use it !!!! I am happy to help if there is anything your not sure about.......cheers.....

• @Iso said:

@MAtrixplan said:

I use studiomux everyday. Along with Aum it is my main utility app. I have been using it for about two years, maybe more..........I have a lightening -usb cable plugged into my pc, and then audio is hosted via the studiomux vst in Ableton Live. Of course, i have a seperate audio interface that deals with all the audio in ableton, (in my case an RME babyface ) . I record in 24/96 inside ableton. The studiomux audio will record at whatever setting you have set in your DAW. The quality depends very much on the apps themselves. The higher the quality of the app itself, the higher the quality of the recorded material. All the ios synths i use sound great, as good as any vst's i own. Studiomux works really well for me.....it took a bit of effort to get my head around it at first, but once you have, it is very very simple, and i generally i never have to think about it, it is there, and it works.....although it still amazes me every-time i use it !!!! I am happy to help if there is anything your not sure about.......cheers.....

Hi! What version of windows are you using? Will it work on win 7 with Fl studio or cubase?

• @ginandjuice said:

@Iso said:

@MAtrixplan said:

I use studiomux everyday. Along with Aum it is my main utility app. I have been using it for about two years, maybe more..........I have a lightening -usb cable plugged into my pc, and then audio is hosted via the studiomux vst in Ableton Live. Of course, i have a seperate audio interface that deals with all the audio in ableton, (in my case an RME babyface ) . I record in 24/96 inside ableton. The studiomux audio will record at whatever setting you have set in your DAW. The quality depends very much on the apps themselves. The higher the quality of the app itself, the higher the quality of the recorded material. All the ios synths i use sound great, as good as any vst's i own. Studiomux works really well for me.....it took a bit of effort to get my head around it at first, but once you have, it is very very simple, and i generally i never have to think about it, it is there, and it works.....although it still amazes me every-time i use it !!!! I am happy to help if there is anything your not sure about.......cheers.....

Hi! What version of windows are you using? Will it work on win 7 with Fl studio or cubase?

Hi, i am using win 10 home, 64bit, fall creators update.It worked fine on my win 7 32 bit laptop. Sorry i havn't tried it with Fl studio or Cubase, as i don't use them. Have a look in the Studiomux online manual, but i don't see any reason why it would work in Ableton Live, and not every other DAW as well. There is a recent thread on this forum where a member wrote some very clear Studiomux instructions, that are very useful. The manual can be a little confusing......Good Luck!

• @MAtrixplan said:

The difference between recording audio from the headphone out and the lightning cable and Studiomux is night and day. Much quieter, hotter levels, cleaner. I could never imagine using the headphone out again. I have not yet tried something like an iConnectivity USB hardware interface. I've almost bought one a few times, but so far I haven't had a need to, since I'm getting great results with Studiomux (and previously with MusicIO) -- saved me hundreds of dollars.

As for how well it works... Getting set up initially took a long time because the documentation is poor and apparently written by someone with minimal English skills, and so far no third party person has done a good (or current) YouTube getting started video. Also, it is different with every DAW, and the instructions don't cover several major DAWs, so I had to guess and go through trial and error based on the Logic instructions. Also, things can change with DAW updates, which has thrown me for a loop a couple of times.

It is a good idea to boot up the iPad and computer fresh before you start a session. I've lost MIDI a few times, which was fixed by restarting everything. (Which in my case involves restarting the iPad, launching Studiomux, reloading an instrument, rebooting my Mac, keyboard, MIDI interface, audio interface, UAD, etc. ) As long as I start a session with a fresh boot of everything, and boot stuff in the right order, it works fine. It's generally pretty smooth, but a little more temperamental than using a traditional hardware MIDI synth. A lot of steps to pay attention to, but not so bad once you get used to it.

• OK, back to square one. Studiomux isn't working at all with iPhone 7+ and the [email protected] support point is not replying. Anybody got any suggestions, please?

Bearing in mind the following:
    -I can get almost (not quite) the same workflow result with IDAM and AB3 but I paid $10 for this app maybe 9 months ago...and I don't love aggregate devices.
    -Works perfectly on iPhone 6...

• @Vaultnaemsae said:
    OK, back to square one. Studiomux isn't working at all with iPhone 7+ and the [email protected] support point is not replying. Anybody got any suggestions, please?

-I can get almost (not quite) the same workflow result with IDAM and AB3 but I paid $10 for this app maybe 9 months ago...and I don't love aggregate devices.

Hi, sorry but i have no experience with the iphone 7. I did manage to contact support about a year ago, when the server and the vst's were updated, and the whole thing was broken for a couple of weeks. The developer was really helpful, and i ended up being a bit of a crash test dummy for him until he got it working again.....since then it has worked perfectly for me on my setup. Maybe it needs updating for the iphone 7? Don't give up all hope on getting a reply from the developer.......he was a little slow, but communication did happen for me.......and it was sorted out within days of contacting him.......hope it goes well for you, Good Luck!

• @Vaultnaemsae said:
    OK, back to square one. Studiomux isn't working at all with iPhone 7+ and the [email protected] support point is not replying. Anybody got any suggestions, please?

Use the built in iOS to Mac audio routing i guess and maybe bluetooth midi

• @DaveMagoo said:

@Vaultnaemsae said:

Use the built in iOS to Mac audio routing i guess and maybe bluetooth midi

Hmm... well if it's a new device... you might need to "Trust this Computer" ie, connect it to iTunes on the Mac 1st. I always open Midimux... if it's seeing all your connected MIDI ports, should be good to go. If not, LMK, I can try out with the 7+ (if wife will let me borrow it :)

• After a couple of days with studiomux I sadly have to say that it is extremely unstable with my system: ipad pro IOS 11.1.2 and Macbookpro OS10.11.6- logic pro
    The driver disconnects at times, Logic gets frozen, studiomux gets corrupted and must be downloaded again... a nightmare not to mention completely useless in gigs...
    I may proccess logic tracks within the ipad and record them in Logic using just Studiomux, without great danger but when the routing gets more complex including AB3 o AUM it becomes a nightmare.
    Besides of that, I do think that I can't use my Apogee One as mic input and send it via USB (avoid the current extra D/A A/D) to my computer because of hardware limitations: Apogee One is not class compliant and a USB Hub with CCK3 would not serve... as far as I know(never tryed though) but this is not an studiomux fault.