Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS 8 launch and app compatibility

Comments

• @Sebastian

Thanks! Had already started the iTunes back-up.
    Always good to have one anyway.
    But I want something of a new start, bringing in only apps that I actually use (or still can use in iOS8). There is a lot of stuff I actually don't use that I can leave out that way. My 16Gb iPad 4 was beginning to feel a bit cramped and crowded...

• edited September 2014

Quick type is cool
    Through a few apps in Audiobus, everything that is supposed to work seams to work

• I've updated anyhow. Going for a de-tour on my workflow but I have other things to do anyway. I was looking forward for that offer from Holderness Media but not available where I'm at.

IOS 8 running fine here.

• edited September 2014

So far so good-ish, on both the iPhone 5 and iPad Air. Some minor bugs with the settings app crashing when certaing things (ios 7 had the some issues with the settings and crashing at first too). Some UI weirdness going on here and there, and not quite as smooth when double clicking to get to the multitask windows. So at a quick glance it's mostly UI inconsistencies that needs clean up.

Only tried Korg Gadget as far as music apps go. Korg says they've found some minor issue here, and it's being worked on. It seemed to work fine here though.

The AppStores new Explore section have a separate "instruments" section, amongst a few other music related sections, with different subcategories like piano, drums and so on. It's better then before, but kinda a work in progress thing. It's prolly not gonna make switch from AppZapp at the moment.

The forum/screen/font size just totally bugged out while typing the above. So definetely in need of a clean up patch sooner rather then later, for all the UI weirdness (atleast on the iPad Air)

• @ChrisG thanks, anything new & cool. I'm holding off for now mainly for AB. Any chance you can try IAA with a few things?

• I collated these comments from the iPad Musician FB page. Thanks go to Juan Santizo.

GOOD - gadget and iKaossilator work fine, Cubasis, nanologue and loopmash HD work fine.. AB error comes out though .. Haven't checked inter app yet though. iMaschine and traktor DJ seem to be working fine.. Remember I just want to see if they turn on and they stay on. scratchpad works fine.. AB error. IMPC and iMPC pro work great and I'd say even faster. Yamaha mobile seq and synth & dr pad work great.. AB error on both. filatron works AB error.. Fairlight Vogel cmi works great. Figure, Thor, rebirth all work AB error. iMini and iSem work great.. AB error were applicable. Fl studio HD and deckadance work fine AB error. Loopy HD and audiobus don't crash.. Haven't tried working with them yet.

BAD - IMS-20, iPolysix, iElectribe and Gorillaz version crash upon opening.. Haven't tried reinstalling them.. Korg already said they are in the process of updating their apps for iOS 8. Z3ta+ crashes upon boot. Akai synthstation crashes upon boot. Minimoog crashes upon boot. Audiobus seems to be NOT READY FOR iOS8!!! Audiobus irregularities. JamUP Pro not showing up in inputs in AB. Audiobus initialization problem when launching JamUP by itself.

Juan Santizo I'm running an iPad Air 128gb storage 2gb RAM 64bit..
    2 hrs · Like

• @Trueyorky said:

@ChrisG thanks, anything new & cool. I'm holding off for now mainly for AB. Any chance you can try IAA with a few things?

I'll check IAA tomorrow if I can. I haven't had the chance to look for any new cool things lol. I've mostly been going through the settings app turning off lots of unneeded stuff, again. Did a reboot after that, and had 25-30mb free ram. iOS frees up RAM as needed though, just like before, but seeing these low numbers (and all the new crap running in the background) is a bit worrying. Hopefully it will turn out to be a non-issue when stress tested,

• edited September 2014

This audiobus initializing error in a lot of the apps is pretty annoying. I'm not even running audiobus. Fixy fixy!

Can confirm Animoog and z3ta = Insta crash.

• edited September 2014

I looked a bit more at the new Explore tab in the AppStore app. And there are a few more categories other then "instruments". "Music Production" and sub categories like DAW, MIDI, Samples and so on. Being able to separate random crappy radio/music thing from music creation based stuff is definitely a big step in the right direction.

Not to mention having video previews of apps right in the AppStore amongst the regular screenshots.

• wow- I definitely can't update to IOS 8 - my main synths are Nave and iDensity/iPulsaret/Stria - none are IOS 8 compatible-

• edited September 2014

Nave, idensity, stria, ivcs3 and ipulsaret are to review @ apple, so they are back in the game in a few days, don't worry. Everything has been taken care off.

• Does anyone have any news from MTD. Its GUI in iOS 8 is broken.

• http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/09/downgrade-ios-8-ios-7-1-2.html

This ^^^^ MAY still work for a VERY limited time still for anyone who updated to iOS 8 by accident.

Also check at the link below - esp. the information in the table about the green YES's

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/09/17/ios-8-on-iphone-5-first-impressions-and-performance/

• edited September 2014

MTD has already updated for iOS 8, no problem now. That was the fastest update I've ever seen.
    I'm still waiting Animoog update. After that I will be all set.

• Slightly OT, but if you use your iPhone as an alarm clock, check to make sure they are still turned ON, after update. Especially if you update through iTunes.

• @logictree said:

MTD has already updated for iOS 8, no problem now. That was the fastest update I've ever seen.
    I'm still waiting Animoog update. After that I will be all set.--

Actually it was submitted early, but Apple was taking a long time. They must have been busy doing other stuff.

• edited September 2014

OK. @Cinebient a pushed download can indeed be deleted and not installed. I had one iPad 3 to which the update was pushed but I went to Settings -> General -> Usage and deleted it (Tap on, press delete).

• Doesn't really address issues iOS musicians will face, more general usage like email, texting, and a bit about file sharing.

• edited September 2014

Easy file sharing with the Mac will be big. And Bluetooth midi to ipad from Mac and vice versa and stuff. :)

• edited September 2014

And there is "pressure sensitivity" now :)

• Z3ta+ updated on 19.9 with ios8 and ab2
    Anyone tried?

• Zeta works...

• Korg submited their apps to Apple

• Isn't there a list of apps that haven't been updated for iOS 8 compatibility yet, floating around this forum somewhere? Is anyone keeping that up to date? I can't seem to find it.

I see lots of my apps on the AB iOS 8 list now, but it would be good to see a list of what's getting left behind before upgrading.

• When you go to the Audiobus iOS 8 compatibility list, you can also request an email notification when apps you specify are updated to iOS 8 by doing a search for the apps you're interested in.

• edited October 2014

Korg's iMS-20 just got the iOS 8 update. Zipadeedoodah!!!

• All korgs iOS8 updates are finally on the way (passed Apples long ass review times today), iElectribe and iMS-20 so far, the rest are prolly still flushing through the system.