Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iMPC Pro by Akai Professional & Retronyms OUT NOW (IAA/MIDI supported)

Comments

• edited July 2014

@skoptic said:

@ChrisG said:

Force close all apps by dubble tapping the home button and swiping away all open stuff, before you reboot your iPad. Open background apps will apparently still use some resources after a reboot.

Sounds like a great urban myth! I also find rebooting with left hand helps too ;)

Well, I picked it up from Rim (the Auria dev), so I'm gonna go with that :)

@Aphex Everyone is getting yellow or red bar showing on the RAM at this point. There's nothing wrong with your setup I'd say.

• @ChrisG said:

Well, I picked it up from Rim (the Auria dev), so I'm gonna go with that :)

Fair point! I'll go with that too then :)

• Hi is anyone having problems when they set loop points on a sample,every time I set the markers for a sample on multiple pads and save.When I load up my track back up their all off.Maybe something I'm doing wrong?

• As said in my previous post... i already tried to reboot, i think it´s a bug with the RAM meter... i tried to load a bunch if apps simultaneously and the impc pro RAM meter went down lol

• Yea that's iOS releasing RAM.

With a bit of maintenance I managed to keep it green while messing around in the app, looksy below! In all seriousness tho, I don't think there's THAT much we can do when using big, complex apps, with lots of samples fighting to fit in the RAM. Other then wait for a device with more RAM. And of course, there's always room for some optimizations. :)

• Please do not mention aloud that there will be any more of these devices available for purchase in the future. I made it very clear to the missus upon buying this Air that three iPads would be enough until they carted me off drooling under my special red blanket. I would like a little more time to go by before this bald-faced lie is exposed etc.

• They need to do a better app, is just not rigth that a kick a snare and a hihat take a lot fo RAM in an ipad air, even the ios synths use that kind of power. So as you said is just a bug a wrong meter, i think that too.

• I think this is the last music app and hardware upgrade planned, so you're safe @JohnnyGoodyear. I prefer bald face lies to the subversive ones anyways.

• @Joe said:

Hi is anyone having problems when they set loop points on a sample,every time I set the markers for a sample on multiple pads and save.When I load up my track back up their all off.Maybe something I'm doing wrong?

had that problem last night just before turning in. All of the slices were off by different degrees—some started at different times, some were different lengths. I had previously done a chop-to-pads X16 and then edited a few of them manually after chopping.

• Hmm after playing last night, a few problems cropped up.
    I had a few crashes, I had a glitch where the sample I had audiopasted in and chopped kept duplicating itself when I hit the chop to pads button. I am also getting the bug where I have to hit buttons multiple times for them to register.
    I also noticed that when using the variation slider on some hi hats the volume variation didn't work and the filter variation actually adjusts the pitch instead??
    Another big gripe (and hopefully I am doing something wrong here!) is that the IAA effects are only sends, so I cannot for example send a bassline through a wow filter and have it not mixed with the dry signal?? I really hope there is a way around this or the IAA fx are pretty useless to me :/

• edited July 2014

How do you delete a seq in song mode. There's no swipe or delete option. For impc pro. Other than that it's really cool and will only get better with updates

• I followed the iMPC Pro Log videos as Retronyms released them, and while iMPC Pro is a slick looking app, I quickly wrote off this app as another collection of missteps by Retronyms.

This app simply offers nothing that BeatMaker 2 hasn't been offering for a few years now. Yes, the workflow might be more agreeable, but like other Retronyms apps, it has a list of oversights and bugs.

How on earth does a developer neglect something as simple as being able to delete unneeded recordings/samples made by the user? This is something Tabletop suffers from to this date.

No Audiobus, buggy IAA, incomplete MIDI, etc. Most of the complaints people have about iMPC Pro in this thread are the same sort of things other Retronyms apps suffer from.

For the $19.99 regular price, you'd be much better off buying BM2.

• How do you change the track name while in a sequence,

• Glad I bought Bm2 while it was on sale, I'd hate to be stuck with just iMPC pro, although I think it sounds excellent, I'm glad I have options.

• ok i figured out how to erase a sequence.....tap a empty block and slide it over a block that you want to erase....that will clear that seq

• Thanks @kennyrox. Obvious, of course, but only once you know :) Certainly some rough edges to be knocked off here, but I also made some noise tonight I liked because of the workflow. There are parts of the playing which are very much intuitive. And there there are the other parts that aren't at all. Still, good to take 16 bars into Auria, Turnado them to pieces, and end up with something far beyond the sum of the parts I had in my ears to begin with.

• I'm loving this app. Really amazing.

• yes it is awesome....once you dig in...you can get very creative

• Got it yesterday at the intro price , great fun to play around with - The only major niggle is not being able to delete unwanted samples without connecting to iTunes - I don't own a PC or Mac so what the hell am I supposed to do . Hope this is something that can be fixed soon in an update ,.

• Guys how do you delete samples from iTunes? I mean certain samples, not all the user dir?

I have the latest iTunes, and from what I remember, they don't allow anymore to browse through folders. You only see one master folder of the app in iTunes File Sharing.

• BM2 has good functionality but is designed like a pig. BM2 is not the panacea - amen to 2014 user interface.

• edited July 2014

@alexbuga Don't use iTunes, only use ifunbox. I never ever use iTunes!

• edited July 2014

@syrupcore said:

@Joe said:

Hi is anyone having problems when they set loop points on a sample,every time I set the markers for a sample on multiple pads and save.When I load up my track back up their all off.Maybe something I'm doing wrong?

had that problem last night just before turning in. All of the slices were off by different degrees—some started at different times, some were different lengths. I had previously done a chop-to-pads X16 and then edited a few of them manually after chopping.

That is a MASSIVE flaw and this issue alone puts me off completely.....does it happen every time? is there a workaround?

• It is (or could be) indeed a massive bug but I haven't had a chance to look further into it.

• edited July 2014

@skoptic said:

BM2 has good functionality but is designed like a pig. BM2 is not the panacea - amen to 2014 user interface.

I didn't think of it as a panacea but now that you've mentioned it...

• Did anyone compare the sample library of impc pro with the classic?I think I'll wait for Retronyms to fix all the bugs and then buy it...also I'll wait to see if the tabletop version would be a cut down module ,like the classic impc where the fx section was missing...watching every post in this thread!

I've asked before but it's really important question : Does impc pro worth buying if someone already has beatmaker2?

• @loopingstar said:

Got it yesterday at the intro price , great fun to play around with - The only major niggle is not being able to delete unwanted samples without connecting to iTunes - I don't own a PC or Mac so what the hell am I supposed to do . Hope this is something that can be fixed soon in an update ,.

It will be fixed, the ball has started to roll...

Even if i do have access to a computer to do the housekeeping i hardly ever connect my iPad or iPhone to it, this might change once iOS 8 and OS X Yosemity arrive because it will enable us to use the iPad/iPhone as audio input source and digitally record the output to Logic Pro X or other apps which will be really sweet :)

• it's not possible to reverse a sample in real time?

• @alexbuga said:

Guys how do you delete samples from iTunes? I mean certain samples, not all the user dir?

I have the latest iTunes, and from what I remember, they don't allow anymore to browse through folders. You only see one master folder of the app in iTunes File Sharing.

I'm using iFunBox for this, works really well for housekeeping like copying samples between apps, and adding folders full of samples. (Since i own both iMPC and iMPC Pro i moved all the iMPC samples into iMPC Pro).

Why iTunes only handle singe files is still a mystery and i hope this will change with OS X Yosemity which i hope will allow us to directly access the shared files in the Finder like iFunBox does.

If i keep a positive mindset the new iOS8 Filepicker will allow apps that can act as File Repo's and announce the available files to all apps that use the iOS 8 Filepicker, who will be first to implement iOS8 file picker(AudioShare or AudioCopy2)?